Thread: Install SHERIDAN Data Widgets 3.0 on Win7 64bits

Install SHERIDAN Data Widgets 3.0 on Win7 64bits

I have successfully installed VS6, SP6 on Win7 64bts. Only rests to install SHERIDAN Data Widgets 3.0. I have heard install program is 16bit and does not run on 64bits machines.
    Can you help me? Beforehand, thank you very much.
    (And tell me how to put RESOLVED in my thread or it puts by "auto")

Re: Install SHERIDAN Data Widgets 3.0 on Win7 64bits

I believe you are correct, the Sheridan Data Widgets are 16 bit components which can't be used on 64bit versions of Windows.
    Do you have a special need for them?

PowerPoster

If memory serves any OCX would be 32 bit. the 16 bit versions were VBX files and worked in VB3 and VB4 but not in 5 or 6.

Of course it is possible that the installer itself is 16 bit and would have a problem.

LUISGARCIA,

Oh gosh, I remember trying to use those things. IMHO, they were atrocious, and full of bugs. Microsoft bought their SSTab control from them, and again IMHO, that was the only one worth anything at all. And even before Microsoft got the SSTab control, it was buggy too. It's still a touch buggy, but I do still make a great deal of use of it, and I've worked out the bugs.

All The Best,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    I believe you are correct, the Sheridan Data Widgets are 16 bit components which can't be used on 64bit versions of Windows.
    Do you have a special need for them?
    DataGrid is The BackBone of all my projects. I know is few knowed and noted, but it is Wide Useful and Competitive, probably only disadvantage is RecordSet is very slow, but rest of it works very fine.
    It is only 3rdParty object I use, but as you can see, it s very important for me.

Do you have other option for DataGrid? I do listen to.

PowerPoster

MSFlexGrid, MSHFlexGrid or data grid that are included with VB may work for you. Depends on what you are doing with the grid.

The Only Sheridan control I have used in VB5 or later is the Calendar Widgets. I have a few old projects that still use that. Tried to load one of them the other day and it complained about the SSCal not being registered on my Windows 7 box. Not sure if I tried to install it before or not but most likely I will just remove it from the project and use something more current.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    If memory serves any OCX would be 32 bit. the 16 bit versions were VBX files and worked in VB3 and VB4 but not in 5 or 6.

Of course it is possible that the installer itself is 16 bit and would have a problem.
    As far as I can tell these are 32-bit OCXs, and were only supported through the beginning-of-life of Windows XP. They are still for sale but no longer being worked on.

16-bit installation bootstrappers were pretty common at one time, certainly in the era this controls packages dates from. Even the VB6 installation package uses the old 16-bit "Acme" bootstrapper.

VB6 quietly installs onto 64-bit Vista SP2 and later because Acme was added to the legacy installer appcompat heuristics. When detected, ShellExecute will substitute a 32-bit version of Acme and run that instead of the old 16-bit program.

I remember installing VB6 to 64-bit Win2K, XP, and Vista SP1 required a manual step. You needed a 32-bit system where you could run the bootstrapper in "extract-only mode." This produced the actual 32-bit setup which you could carry to the 64-bit system and run that there.

Perhaps you can do something similar with this old Sheridan package? I don't have it to try, but for this to work it needs to accept a command-line switch to "extract only."