Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need help in how to add banner information onto JPEG (JPG) images ???

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Need help in how to add banner information onto JPEG (JPG) images ???

Hello All,

I am a VB .NET novice and would like to get help in adding banner info onto jpeg images.

I guess the code sequence would be
    1) The jpeg images on a computer folder need to be loaded/accessed in VB .NET...then
    2) Add banner onto the images later. I would like to have below info on the banner:
    > image file name
    > current date and time
    > Microsoft Window Log-in user name (i.e. JSmith)
    > Page numbers. (i.e Page 1 of 6, Page 2 of 6, Page 3 of 6....etc)

The banner info should be at the same position/location on the bottom left-corner of the jpeg images.

3) After adding above banner info, the images are to be saved as JPG (or PDF) file format

I start learning and using VB Studio 2017. However, I believe codes/syntax made in earlier VB Studio versions could work in VB Studio 2017 since my issue above may only use same syntax/coding done in those earlier VB version such as VB Studio 2010, 203, 2015...etc

Any help would be grateful.

Johny

PowerPoster

Re: Need help in how to add banner information onto JPEG (JPG) images ???

Start new project and add PictureBox1 and Button1 then paste the following code (it is quick solution, but must be better solution out there)
    Code:
    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On

Public Class Form1
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim f As String = "path\to\picture"

PictureBox1.SizeMode = PictureBoxSizeMode.AutoSize
            PictureBox1.Load(f)
            Dim cBanner As New BannerData With {.FileName = f, .DateAndTime = Now, .UserName = "JSmith", .PageNumber = 2}

DrawBanner(PictureBox1, cBanner)
            PictureBox1.Image.Save(f & "_with_banner.jpg", Imaging.ImageFormat.Jpeg) ' save copy of the picture

End Sub

Private Sub DrawBanner(ByVal picSource As PictureBox, ByVal cBanner As BannerData)
            Dim gfx As Graphics = Graphics.FromImage(picSource.Image)
            Dim sb As New Text.StringBuilder
            sb.AppendLine(cBanner.FileName)
            sb.AppendLine(cBanner.DateAndTime.ToString)
            sb.AppendLine(cBanner.UserName)
            sb.AppendLine(cBanner.PageNumber.ToString)

' Draw banner shadow first
            gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, New Font("Arial", 8, FontStyle.Regular), Brushes.White, New Point(9, picSource.Height - 98))
            ' Draw banner
            gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, New Font("Arial", 8, FontStyle.Regular), Brushes.Black, New Point(8, picSource.Height - 100)) ' Subtract reasonable height to show all lines.
        End Sub
    End Class

Public Class BannerData
        Public FileName As String
        Public DateAndTime As Date
        Public UserName As String
        Public PageNumber As Integer
    End Class
    Last edited by 4x2y; Apr 11th, 2017 at 06:39 PM.

Lively Member

Thank you 4x2y for your quick reply and help.

I wonder if I can specify the location on the image where the banner starts. As mentioned in my first post, I want to have the banner at the bottom left corner of the picture and the text should be vertical and parallel with the edge of the paper.

How could I code that with x, y position ?

Thank you again

That's what the New Point does in the DrawString... it sets the start X & Y of the text it is about to draw... does it not do that?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

Yes, I see the DrawString function....
    I will start testing your code today and let you know what the result would be.
    If I have more questions and good result I will let you know promptly.

Thanks again

PowerPoster

You didn't say you want vertical text!!

Replace
    Code:
            gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, New Font("Arial", 8, FontStyle.Regular), Brushes.White, New Point(9, picSource.Height - 98))
            ' Draw banner
            gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, New Font("Arial", 8, FontStyle.Regular), Brushes.Black, New Point(8, picSource.Height - 100)) ' Subtract reasonable height to show all lines.
    with

Code:
            gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, New Font("Arial", 8, FontStyle.Regular), Brushes.White, New Point(201, picSource.Height - 501), New StringFormat With {.FormatFlags = StringFormatFlags.DirectionVertical Or StringFormatFlags.DirectionRightToLeft})
            ' Draw banner
            gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, New Font("Arial", 8, FontStyle.Regular), Brushes.Black, New Point(200, picSource.Height - 500), New StringFormat With {.FormatFlags = StringFormatFlags.DirectionVertical Or StringFormatFlags.DirectionRightToLeft}) ' Subtract reasonable height to show all lines.

Lively Member

Thank you again.....
    Even I do not understand all of your code yet but it looks complex. I need to digest your code, test it and will definitely let you know the result. I confidently your code works fine. If there is any error or issue, I will let you know promptly.

Thanks 4x2y

Lively Member

Hi 4x2y,

In your code line "Dim f As String = "path\to\picture", I need to put down the exact file location and name such as
    D:\TEST\CATIAVB.JPG in double-quotation mark?

Can I use a string variable (Dim pathString As String = U:\TEST\CATIAVB.JPG) in place of whole "U:\TEST\CATIAVB.JPG" text?

Thanks again

Yes. In fact, it's probably the far more common way to do this. A variable that holds a string is just as good as a string literal, and either can be used.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Lively Member

Red face Re: Need help in how to add banner information onto JPEG (JPG) images ???

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yes. In fact, it's probably the far more common way to do this. A variable that holds a string is just as good as a string literal, and either can be used.
    Hi 4x2y,

I tested your code and it actually works. Thank you again. However,

1) The text written is near the center of the page. I want it to be near the bottom left corner of the image/page.
    I just change the margin number in the program?
    2) How could I get "actual computer log-in username" and feed it to the code?
    3) For page numbers, can I use a variable and get page numbers change automatically and print on the images/papers such as
    Page 1 of 6, Page 2 of 6.....etc?

Thank you very much

Johny

Lively Member

Hi 4x2y,

I wonder if your code can be adapted in VB 6? If yes, is it difficult to transfer/adapt?

Thanks again

If you wanted a VB6 solution 1)You should have posted in the VB6 section and 2) You should have said that right from the start. A VB6 solution would require a completelhy different set of code instructions.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

1/2 way accross the galaxy.. and then some

I am quite surprised that it has not been noted ... but I would NOT recommend loading you images into a picture box (as 4x2y suggested) just to print some text on them and save them back to a file...

I am not going to spend time specifying a solution though since you apparently want this for vb6 (that may not work as i don't have anything to test on) and I have (happily) not touched on that for years!

Kris

EDIT:

Why do you state this in your opening post:
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedHelpVB View Post
    I start learning and using VB Studio 2017. However, I believe codes/syntax made in earlier VB Studio versions could work in VB Studio 2017 since my issue above may only use same syntax/coding done in those earlier VB version such as VB Studio 2010, 203, 2015...etc
    Just to state this later:
    I wonder if your code can be adapted in VB 6? If yes, is it difficult to transfer/adapt?

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by i00 View Post
    I am quite surprised that it has not been noted ... but I would NOT recommend loading you images into a picture box (as 4x2y suggested) just to print some text on them and save them back to a file...

I am not going to spend time specifying a solution though since you apparently want this for vb6 (that may not work as i don't have anything to test on) and I have (happily) not touched on that for years!

Kris

EDIT:

Why do you state this in your opening post:

Just to state this later:
    ====================

Sorry if I confuse you.
    I really want to learn VS .NET since VB 6 is too old and not suitable for future development.
    When I ask if the code can be adapted to VB 6 since I use a CAD application and it has VB 6 integrated in it. However, I do not know how to use VB6 and do not want to use VB 6 for above reason. Hope this clear your thought.

Wonder if you are still able to help me above issues I copied here:

1) The text written is near the center of the page. I want it to be near the bottom left corner of the image/page.
    I just change the margin number in the program?
    3) For page numbers, can I use a variable and get page numbers change automatically and print on the images/papers such as Page 1 of 6, Page 2 of 6.....etc?

I still thank you for your help

Johny

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by i00 View Post
    I have noted as i wrote "(it is quick solution, but must be better solution out there)"

Lively Member

If not loading images into Picture Box, then how could I write text on the images?
    Your guide/help is much appreciated.

PowerPoster

Try this new method which auto measure text height and width
    Code:
        Private Sub DrawBanner(ByVal picSource As PictureBox, ByVal cBanner As BannerData)

Dim cFont As Font = New Font("Arial", 8, FontStyle.Regular)
            Dim cSizeF As SizeF = gfx.MeasureString(sb.ToString, cFont)

' Vertical
            Dim cFormat As StringFormat = New StringFormat With {.FormatFlags = StringFormatFlags.DirectionVertical Or StringFormatFlags.DirectionRightToLeft}
            gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, cFont, Brushes.White, cSizeF.Height + 1, picSource.Height - cSizeF.Width - 1, cFormat)
            ' Draw banner
            gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, cFont, Brushes.Black, cSizeF.Height, picSource.Height - cSizeF.Width, cFormat)

''Uncomment the following to draw horizontal text
            '' Draw banner shadow first
            'gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, cFont, Brushes.White, 16, picSource.Height - cSizeF.Height - 1)
            '' Draw banner
            'gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, cFont, Brushes.Black, 15, picSource.Height - cSizeF.Height)

End Sub
    Code:
    Environment.UserName
    3) For page numbers, can I use a variable and get page numbers change automatically and print on the images/papers such as
    Page 1 of 6, Page 2 of 6.....etc?
    Yes you can, you can build like this
    Code:
    "Page " & variable_name.ToString & " of 6"

Lively Member

Smile Re: Need help in how to add banner information onto JPEG (JPG) images ???

Quote Originally Posted by 4x2y View Post
    Try this new method which auto measure text height and width
    Code:

Dim cFont As Font = New Font("Arial", 8, FontStyle.Regular)
            Dim cSizeF As SizeF = gfx.MeasureString(sb.ToString, cFont)

' Vertical
            Dim cFormat As StringFormat = New StringFormat With {.FormatFlags = StringFormatFlags.DirectionVertical Or StringFormatFlags.DirectionRightToLeft}
            gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, cFont, Brushes.White, cSizeF.Height + 1, picSource.Height - cSizeF.Width - 1, cFormat)
            ' Draw banner
            gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, cFont, Brushes.Black, cSizeF.Height, picSource.Height - cSizeF.Width, cFormat)

''Uncomment the following to draw horizontal text
            '' Draw banner shadow first
            'gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, cFont, Brushes.White, 16, picSource.Height - cSizeF.Height - 1)
            '' Draw banner
            'gfx.DrawString(sb.ToString, cFont, Brushes.Black, 15, picSource.Height - cSizeF.Height)

End Sub

Code:
    Environment.UserName

Yes you can, you can build like this
    Code:
    "Page " & variable_name.ToString & " of 6"
    ---------------------------

Hi 4x2y,

Your new code works better. I used environment.username in your given name JSmith and it worked perfectly.

I have a few jpg images and start trying to put them in a loop, put those banner data on, and print images out one-by-one as jpg as well.

Any tips for me?

Thank you for your help

PowerPoster

If your images are in folder, try this
    Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim cBanner As BannerData
            Dim t As Date = Now ' store date, so it is not change inside the loop
            Dim strFiles() As String = IO.Directory.GetFiles("replace_with_your_folder_path", "*.jpg", IO.SearchOption.TopDirectoryOnly)
            Me.Cursor = Cursors.WaitCursor
            For j = 0 To strFiles.Length - 1
                PictureBox1.Load(strFiles(j))
                cBanner = New BannerData
                cBanner.FileName = strFiles(j)
                cBanner.DateAndTime = t
                cBanner.UserName = Environment.UserName
                cBanner.PageNumber = "Page " & j + 1 & " of " & strFiles.Length
                PictureBox1.Image.Save(strFiles(j) & "_with_banner.jpg", Imaging.ImageFormat.Jpeg) ' save copy of the picture
            Next
            Me.Cursor = Cursors.Default
        End Sub
    Important: change declaration of PageNumber in BannerData class from Integer to String.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4x2y View Post
    If your images are in folder, try this
    Code:

Dim cBanner As BannerData
            Dim strFiles() As String = IO.Directory.GetFiles("replace_with_your_folder_path", "*.jpg", IO.SearchOption.TopDirectoryOnly)
                PictureBox1.Load(strFiles(j))
                cBanner = New BannerData
                cBanner.FileName = strFiles(j)
                cBanner.DateAndTime = t
                cBanner.UserName = Environment.UserName
                cBanner.PageNumber = "Page " & j + 1 & " of " & strFiles.Length
                PictureBox1.Image.Save(strFiles(j) & "_with_banner.jpg", Imaging.ImageFormat.Jpeg) ' save copy of the picture
            Next
        End Sub
    Important: change declaration of PageNumber in BannerData class from Integer to String.
    ------------------

1) You said "change declaration of PageNumber in BannerData class from Integer to String." Is it in the sub "DrawBanner"?
    I see the line in that sub: sb.AppendLine(cBanner.PageNumber.ToString). Is PageNumber already converted to String?

2) I do not see the code line(s) that print banner text vertically in the Sub Button1_Click.
    Does it mean that I need to link two sub's: Sub Button1_Click and Sub DrawBanner together to have all jpeg files (in the same folder) with printed text vertically?

3) What do below code lines do?

Thank you again

PowerPoster

1) You said "change declaration of PageNumber in BannerData class from Integer to String." Is it in the sub "DrawBanner"?
    Code:
    Public Class BannerData
        Public FileName As String
        Public DateAndTime As Date
        Public UserName As String
        Public PageNumber As String ' I mean this one.
    End Class
    2) I do not see the code line(s) that print banner text vertically in the Sub Button1_Click.
    Does it mean that I need to link two sub's: Sub Button1_Click and Sub DrawBanner together to have all jpeg files (in the same folder) with printed text vertically?
    Yes, all other parts, just replace previous Sub Button1_Click with the new one.

3) What do below code lines do?
    Because the new code contains loop that open many files and may takes long time to complete, i added Me.Cursor = Cursors.WaitCursor before the loop to change mouse cursor to hourglass then Me.Cursor = Cursors.Default after the loop to back mouse cursor to normal. This is useful specially if someone else will use your program, so he don't think the program is frozen if the loop take long time to complete.

Lively Member

Hi 4x2y,

Your modified works great. Thank you

1) If I want page # right after user name (to reduce number of text line), how can I do? such as John, Page 1 of 6.
    I tried

cBanner.UserName = "Printed by " & Environment.UserName & cBanner.PageNumber = "Page " & j + 1 & " of " & strFiles.Length

but it did not work.

2) Me. statement. What does it exactly do? I read some info online but I am still confused.

3) Is it possible to make an .exe file so that it can be run on different computers? If yes, how could I do that? Do other computers need to have Visual Studio/Express installed in order to run the .exe file?

Please kindly advise. Thank you again

PowerPoster

Let's refine the code, here is a better one which encapsulate most work in Banner class and not using PictureBox anymore

Don't mix the new code with previous, instead start new project and add Button1 then paste the following code
    Code:
    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On

Public Class Form1

Dim cImage As Image
            Dim cBanner As New Banner

cBanner.TextDirection = Banner.Direction.Vertical
            cBanner.Font = New Font("Courier New", 8, FontStyle.Regular)
            cBanner.Color = Brushes.Red
            cBanner.ShadowColor = Brushes.Yellow

cImage = Image.FromFile(strFiles(j))

cBanner.Text = strFiles(j) & ControlChars.NewLine &
                               t.ToString & ControlChars.NewLine &
                               "Printed by " & Environment.UserName & " \ Page " & j + 1 & " Of " & strFiles.Length
                cBanner.Draw(cImage)

cImage.Save(strFiles(j) & "_with_banner.jpg", Imaging.ImageFormat.Jpeg) ' save copy of the picture
            Next
        End Sub

End Class

Public Class Banner
        Public Enum Direction
            Vertical
            Horizontal
        End Enum

Public Text As String

Public Font As Font
        Public TextDirection As Direction

Public Color As Brush
        Public ShadowColor As Brush

Public Sub New()
            ' Set default values
            Text = "Banner"
            TextDirection = Direction.Vertical

Font = New Font("Arial", 8, FontStyle.Regular)

Color = Brushes.White
            ShadowColor = Brushes.Black

End Sub

Public Sub Draw(ByVal cTargetImage As Image)
            Dim gfx As Graphics = Graphics.FromImage(cTargetImage)

Dim cSizeF As SizeF = gfx.MeasureString(Me.Text, Me.Font)

Select Case Me.TextDirection
                Case Direction.Vertical

gfx.DrawString(Me.Text, Me.Font, Me.ShadowColor, cSizeF.Height + 1, cTargetImage.Height - cSizeF.Width - 1, cFormat)
                    gfx.DrawString(Me.Text, Me.Font, Me.Color, cSizeF.Height, cTargetImage.Height - cSizeF.Width, cFormat)

Case Direction.Horizontal
                    gfx.DrawString(Me.Text, Me.Font, Me.ShadowColor, 16, cTargetImage.Height - cSizeF.Height - 1)
                    gfx.DrawString(Me.Text, Me.Font, Me.ShadowColor, 15, cTargetImage.Height - cSizeF.Height)
            End Select

End Sub
    End Class
    Edit:
    I have moved the following lines out of For...Next loop as they aren't change.
    Code:
    3) Is it possible to make an .exe file so that it can be run on different computers? If yes, how could I do that?
    Yes, after finishing go to Build menu and select Publish

Do other computers need to have Visual Studio/Express installed in order to run the .exe file?
    No, only your project's target framework must be installed on that computer, to know target framework, go to Project menu and select Properties... and see Application page
    Last edited by 4x2y; Apr 16th, 2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Optimize For...Next loop

Lively Member

I checked " Project menu => Properties... and see Application page" and see .NET Framework 4.5.2. So other computers need to have .NET Framework 4.5.2 already installed on them before I can run the portable .exe?

I just tested your refined code above and it works fine. However, the banner text appears in orange on white background. I would like to have "black text" on white background.
    How could I change text color?

Thank you
    Last edited by NeedHelpVB; Apr 16th, 2017 at 08:57 PM.

PowerPoster

I checked " Project menu => Properties... and see Application page" and see .NET Framework 4.5.2. So other computers need to have .NET Framework 4.5.2 already installed on them before I can run the portable .exe?
    Yes.

I just tested your refined code above and it works fine. However, the banner text appears in orange on white background. I would like to have "black text" on white background.
    How could I change text color?
    The new Banner class has two properties Color and ShadowColor, set them to your desired, in your case replace
    Code:
    With
    Code:
            cBanner.Color = Brushes.Black
            cBanner.ShadowColor = Brushes.White

Lively Member

Thank you. I will try different colors to have better image of text.

I see you use " Me. " code a few times. What does it do in coding general or in VB .NET programming?

Have a great day.

I see you use " Me. " code a few times. What does it do in coding general or in VB .NET programming?
    It is VB specific... it refers to "the current instance of this class".

For code inside the Banner class, it is referring to the Banner class... but only for the current instance.

The example in post #23 creates one instance of the Banner class (Dim cBanner As New Banner), but it could also create more (perhaps Dim cBanner2 As New Banner etc). Using Me.Font etc helps ensure that the values are assigned to the correct instance, and more importantly helps with clarity of reading (because you know it belongs to the current class) and ease of writing.

Lively Member

Thanks for your explanation.

Is there a way to write/convert jpg images directly to pdf file format and combined those individual converted pdf's to a single pdf file in sequential page # in VB .NET?

Regards
    Last edited by NeedHelpVB; Apr 17th, 2017 at 02:44 PM.

That is unrelated to the initial question in this thread, so doesn't really belong here.

It would be much better to create a new thread for that question for several reasons, such as you are more likely to get good help (as many people will not join in with an ongoing thread, especially when it has lots of posts), and it is easier for people to find answers if they search (which many people do).

Lively Member

Hi 4x2y,

The banner data print text so close to the edge of paper. Please see below. I have tried to changed a couple number in your refined code but it has not been work.

Name:  CAPTURE IMAGESSHEET METAL 3.CATPart-P2.JPG_with_banner.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  12.2 KB

Which parameters/numbers should I change to get the end of text a few characters back from the edge of paper?

Thank you

PowerPoster

You can change font name and size from this line
    Code:
    But i see you already use small font size, are you need the full path or you can just print the file name only?

Lively Member

I need full path. I did change the font size to 8 but I guess the banner text changes its starting position dynamically. That is why end of the first text line (...ending with .JPG) is still so close to the edge of paper.

Anyway, thank you for your help so far. You are helpful and wish you have a great great day.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Need help in how to add banner information onto JPEG (JPG) images ???

Try different font name, i see you are using the one i defined "Courier New" which is wider than others because it is fixed-width font, i suggest using "Segoe UI" if it is available in your system, otherwise use similar one like "Tahoma"
    Code:
    cBanner.Font = New Font("Segoe UI", 8)
    Last edited by 4x2y; Apr 18th, 2017 at 04:01 PM.

Lively Member

Re: [RESOLVED] Need help in how to add banner information onto JPEG (JPG) images ???

Hi 4x2y, I will try and let you know. Thanks again for your help

Lively Member

Hello 4x2y,

I tried your suggested font, it works a bit better. Thank you again.

I have another small issue below and wonder if you can help me on it.

I have lots of jpeg images have text and images displayed in landscape mode (or horizontally).

Is there a VB. NET code/way to rotate the images 90 degrees so that the images/text display in "portrait" modes before saving back to jpeg file format

Thank you in advance

I have lots of jpeg images have text and images displayed in landscape mode (or horizontally).

Is there a VB. NET code/way to rotate the images 90 degrees so that the images/text display in "portrait" modes before saving back to jpeg file format
    That's a new question that deserves its own thread. I suggest posting that question in either in the Vb.NET section, or in the Graphics section (making sure you specify what version/edition of VB you're using.

-tg

Lively Member

Hi 4x2y,

I have a VB .NET project with a few modules inside it. I want to incorporate your banner code (as seen above) to my project by doing below:

1) Change Private Sub PrintBannerData_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

To

Private SubPrintBannerData(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)

2) After make change above, I add your whole to a separate module inside my VB .NET project I said above.

3) I added same reference libraries as seen in your codes to my VB .NET project.

However, there are lots of errors such as

Type "Font" is not define
    Type "Image" is not defined
    Brushes is not declared.
    Cursor is not a member of Form 1
    Cursor is not declare

and many other errors

So, how could I add your code to my project correctly?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Have a good day!

PowerPoster

There are two parts, the Banner's code and calling that code from your form,
    to separate:
    (1) Open your project, go to Project menu, select Add Class... and name it Banner then paste the following
    Code:
    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On

Public Class Banner
        Public Enum Direction
            Vertical
            Horizontal
        End Enum

Public Text As String

Public Font As Font

Public Color As Brush

Public Sub New()
            ' Set default values
            Me.Text = "Banner"
            Me.TextDirection = Direction.Vertical

Me.Font = New Font("Arial", 8, FontStyle.Regular)

Me.Color = Brushes.White
            Me.ShadowColor = Brushes.Black

End Sub

Try

Case Direction.Vertical

gfx.DrawString(Me.Text, Me.Font, Me.ShadowColor, cSizeF.Height + 1, cTargetImage.Height - cSizeF.Width - 1, cFormat)
                        gfx.DrawString(Me.Text, Me.Font, Me.Color, cSizeF.Height, cTargetImage.Height - cSizeF.Width, cFormat)

gfx.DrawString(Me.Text, Me.Font, Me.ShadowColor, 16, cTargetImage.Height - cSizeF.Height - 1)
                        gfx.DrawString(Me.Text, Me.Font, Me.ShadowColor, 15, cTargetImage.Height - cSizeF.Height)
                End Select
            Catch ex As Exception
                Throw ex
            End Try

End Sub

End Class
    (2) In the form where your button located, paste the following under its Click event
    Code:
    Dim cImage As Image

cBanner.Font = New Font("Segoe UI", 8, FontStyle.Regular)

"Printed by " & Environment.UserName & " \ Page " & j + 1 & " Of " & strFiles.Length
                cBanner.Draw(cImage)

cImage.Save(strFiles(j) & "_with_banner.jpg", Imaging.ImageFormat.Jpeg) ' save copy of the picture
            Next
        End Sub
    That's all.

Lively Member

Hi 4x2y, I did exactly what you said above but same errors appear as I said previously.

Could you please write down the whole code (class sub and form sub)?
    Also, I do not use "Form" application in my project. Instead, I use Console application to create modules and sub's to build up my project.

In my project, it has a Sub Main() which then calls multiple "public sub's and private sub's" in multiple modules. My project's objective is to save drawings into jpeg, then use/call your code to add banner text and save the images back into jpeg again.

Please help me by re-writing your code in "module format" so that I can hopefully include them (banner class) to my project.

Thank you in advance.

PowerPoster

I see, then follow these steps
    (1) Open your project, go to Project menu, select Add Reference... and select System.Drawing

(2) Go to Project menu again, select Add Class... and name it Banner then paste the following

Code:
    Option Strict On
    Option Explicit On
    Imports System.Drawing

Public Class Banner
        Public Enum Direction
            Vertical
            Horizontal
        End Enum

Public Text As String

Public Font As Font

Public Color As Brush

Public Sub New()
            ' Set default values
            Me.Text = "Banner"
            Me.TextDirection = Direction.Vertical

Me.Font = New Font("Arial", 8, FontStyle.Regular)

Me.Color = Brushes.White
            Me.ShadowColor = Brushes.Black

End Sub

Try

Case Direction.Vertical

End Select
            Catch ex As Exception
                Throw ex
            End Try

End Sub

End Class
    (3) Add the following method to the same module where Sub Main() located
    Code:
        Private Sub PrintBannerData()
            Dim cImage As Image

cBanner.Font = New Font("Segoe UI", 8, FontStyle.Regular)
            Console.WriteLine("Please wait...")

cBanner.Draw(cImage)

Console.Write(".") ' instead of Me.Cursor = Cursors.WaitCursor
            Next
            Console.WriteLine()
            Console.WriteLine("Done!")
            Console.Read()' don't close console window

End Sub
    (4) Add Imports System.Drawing at the top of your module

(5) Call PrintBannerData from anywhere in your module, e.g.
    Code:
        Sub Main()
            ' previous code
            '...
            '...
            '...
            PrintBannerData()

End Sub
    Last edited by 4x2y; Apr 25th, 2017 at 10:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast