Thread: Classic Solitaire (Free) on Win 10

Classic Solitaire (Free) on Win 10

I've got an old XP box on which I play Solitaire, with settings as
    .. Deal Three
    .. Vegas Scoring

If I happen to "clear the deck" (upper left), to finish the game, there are 2 ways to move
    remaining cards to the 4 suit "piles" (upper right) ..
    ,, 1. manually drag remaining cards to the 4 suit piles
    ,, 2. right-click, and remaining cards automatically go to the 4 suit piles.

Natch, method 2 is quicker.

On my new Win 10 box, method 2 does not seem to be available.
    Am I missing something?

Spoo

Re: Classic Solitaire (Free) on Win 10

Does this have anything to do with programming?

JM

Not at all, sorry.
    But this was the closest forum I could find that was related.

Spoo

Threads that are about Computers (but are not programming related), belong in the General PC forum... so I've moved this thread there.

Si

My bad ..
    Thanks for moving it to proper forum.

Spoo

Sinecure devotee

Let's be clear.
    Are you playing the old XP solitaire game on Win 10, or are you playing the Solitaire that came with Win 10, or are you playing a version of solitaire that claims to be the Classic Solitaire, as a free app on Win 10?

I liked the various version of the games as they existed on my XP machine, so I just created a folder I call WinXpGames and copied the games from the XP machine to my Win7 and Win10 machines.
    The content of my WinXpGames folder is:
    Code:
    04/14/2008  08:00 AM           359,936 cards.dll
    04/14/2008  08:00 AM            55,296 freecell.exe
    04/14/2008  08:00 AM           126,976 mshearts.exe
    01/02/2016  03:02 PM    <DIR>          Pinball
    04/14/2008  08:00 AM            56,832 sol.exe
    04/14/2008  08:00 AM            15,961 spider.chm
    04/14/2008  08:00 AM           538,624 spider.exe
    04/14/2008  08:00 AM            11,594 spider.hlp
    04/14/2008  08:00 AM           119,808 winmine.exe
                   8 File(s)      1,285,027 bytes
    The right mouse button works as expected on this version of course. It may not have been implemented in later versions.

You can also get the Windows 7 versions of these (which has right click in solitaire!) to work with Windows 10. Have a look at Winaero.com, Downloads/Tools by other people. That site also has lots of small useful utilities.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Guys .. sorry for lengthy delay in replying.
    I've had other things to deal with, so haven't gotten around to your suggestions.

Passel .. to the best of my knowledge, I've got your 3rd option
    a version of solitaire that claims to be the Classic Solitaire, as a free app on Win 10
    The header reads Classic Solitaire (Free), and when I play it while on line, ads appear
    (which is why I generally go off-line when I play it).

But here's the reason for this current post .. Left-Click vs Left-Dbl-Click,

1. I initially got used to the issue of my OP, and did repeated Left-Dbl-Clicks to clear the deck
    2. Then, miraculously, after about 2 months, I noticed that a single Left-Click would move a card.
      • Say an Ace of Spades is the top card on the display of 3 cards
      • A single Left-Click would move it to the "pile of suits"
      • Then, if a 2 of Spades is the bottom card of "one of the 7 stacks", likewise, a single Left-Click would move it up over the Ace.
    3. Now, for some reason, yesterday, the single click capability has disappeared. I have to double-click everything.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Spoo

Sinecure devotee

As I mentioned, I just use the old WinXP version of the games so don't use the "3rd option" and haven't played it as far as I know.
    The original version would only move a card automatically to the "pile of suits" if there were not any cards that could be played on them.
    So the first click on any card of a freshly dealt game would move any aces that were exposed to the home piles, and if there was a two of any of those suits where an ace was sent home, the corresponding twos would also be sent home because there is nothing that can be played on a two except an ace, and since the ace would automatically be sent home the two wouldn't need to be kept around in case you wanted to play an ace on it.

But if an Ace of Spaces was move home, and then the two of Spades was moved home, clicking on the three of spaces would not move it home automatically because you might want to keep it around to play the Two of diamonds or Two of hearts on it. But if the Ace of diamonds was already home, and the Ace of Hearts was already home, then it would move the Three of Spades home automatically when you clicked on it because you don't need the Three of Spaces to place a Red Two on because the both red twos will be moved home automatically because the Aces are already there.

So, if you click on a card that could be sent home, but the lowest card of the opposite color that is already home is more than two lower, e.g. if you have a four of spades already home and you click on the five of spades, it will not be moved to home automatically if either red suit that is home is less than three. If a home red suit had a three on it, then a red four of the same suit could be played on it. But if the home red suit was an Ace or a Two, you can't play a Four on them so you should keep the Black five available to put a red four on rather than move the black five to home. That is a basic strategy of Free Cell. Never send a card home that is more than two higher than the lowest card of the opposite color unless you don't have a choice.

I don't know if that is what you're experiencing, or whether the newer "classic" version has some option to not automatically send cards home on a single click. A double-click normally sends a card to a free cell, not home.
    Last edited by passel; Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:51 PM.