Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] VB6 Learning edition - Res file editor not being installed

Resolved [RESOLVED] VB6 Learning edition - Res file editor not being installed

I've looked all over this site and others to find a solution

I'm running Win Xp SP3 - my HD had a stroke and had to rebuild/re-install windows and all other window related programs

I've tried 3 times to install VB6 and it will do that but will not load/install the relevant DLLs for the res file editor

I've backed up and messed with the registry - to no avail

Used regsvr and it gives me the nebulous 800004005 error - it tells me there is a log file generated and cannot even find it

Tell me please where to start? Any help or pointers?

Maybe I'm missing a service pack?

Jeff

Re: VB6 Learning edition - Res file editor not being installed

here are the files that are not getting loaded with the installation

APPWIZ.OCX
    PDADDIN.DLL
    RESEDIT.DLL
    TEMPMGR.DLL

Quote Originally Posted by habenero View Post
    I've looked all over this site and others to find a solution

I'm running Win Xp SP3 - my HD had a stroke and had to rebuild/re-install windows and all other window related programs

I've tried 3 times to install VB6 and it will do that but will not load/install the relevant DLLs for the res file editor

I've backed up and messed with the registry - to no avail

Used regsvr and it gives me the nebulous 800004005 error - it tells me there is a log file generated and cannot even find it

Tell me please where to start? Any help or pointers?

Maybe I'm missing a service pack?

Jeff

PowerPoster

If those are included in the stripped down Learning Edition they should be installed.

Maybe they are and you haven't loaded the add-in within the IDE? Check in the Add-in Manager:

Name:  sshot.png
Views: 1397
Size:  3.9 KB

did that will let you know what is in my add-in window 2 morrow - your window is way more populated than mine

I've used res files before and know how to select its behavior inside that window you show here - like I stated those DLLs are not getting activated/registered at installation

Thanks for the reply - I really need to use res files in my next proj

The only thing I have in the add-in box is component services for VB5 and VB6 - nothing else

I wish there was a way to trick the XP SP3 into making VB6 a fresh install and I know that would take some scary surgery in the registry - maybe that would help?

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    If those are included in the stripped down Learning Edition they should be installed.

Maybe they are and you haven't loaded the add-in within the IDE? Check in the Add-in Manager:

Name:  sshot.png
Views: 1397
Size:  3.9 KB

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by habenero View Post
    The only thing I have in the add-in box is component services for VB5 and VB6 - nothing else
    I assume you mean the Visual Component Manager 6.0 as that is the only entry that has the word Component in it.

I have never looked at the learning edition so I do not know what should be there but surely there should be several items listed there.
    As you can see in the screen shot posted earlier that list is longer than the display area in the full version of VB.

Before my hard drive crash I did have the res file editor in VB6 Learning edition

but something is preventing the install to install the files needed for the res editor

I am the admin of the machine also so it cant be a permission issue

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I assume you mean the Visual Component Manager 6.0 as that is the only entry that has the word Component in it.

I have never looked at the learning edition so I do not know what should be there but surely there should be several items listed there.
    As you can see in the screen shot posted earlier that list is longer than the display area in the full version of VB.

I even tried making up 2 new accounts in XP (one admin and one guest) and installed VB6 to no avail - what registry settings should I be seeing to make this work? Any guidance? I'm willing to back up and change my registry to do this

PowerPoster

I would try uninstall then re install and see how it goes.
    No ideas of what registry entries or file may need to be removed to correct your issue here.

I'm not familiar with the learning edition but if memory serves it can not build exe files and I doubt that you are allowed to distribute anything that is created in it basically it was for learning purposes only. If that be the case then I do not think i would bother to jump through any hoops to get it installed.

If you do not already know VB then would be a better idea to download one of the newer express editions and if you are set on VB6 and want to use it for anything other than testing and running code in the IDE then you should look for the Pro or Enterprise version instead.

The Learning edition does allow me to make *.exes - I've been using it since the late '90s to do it. The thing lacking in this edition is all the network apps and ability of which I do not use. I have installed and re-installed VB6 LE with a myriad of situations - (XP new user - like stated above) ; (deleting all entries I could find in the registry) - putting all those dlls to try and get regsvr.exe to to its duty. This has to be something with win XP SP3 and permissions..? Maybe? I dont see why regsvr does not work on those files needed for the res editor to work

And thank you for the reply
    Last edited by habenero; Apr 6th, 2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: to give thanks for maybe a lost cause

Hi habenero,

I've hesitated to say this, but you probably should get on eBay and grab yourself a copy of the VB6 IDE (non-learning). You should check, but I suspect even the VB6 Upgrade will do for you since you already have the learning edition. Also, Visual Studio 6 has VB6 included in it, so that'll work too. Also, the Academic edition works just fine too.

If you get any of these, be sure to install the SP6 for VB6. And also, there are some threads around that talk about some initial problems with MSComCtl.ocx However, once you get MSComCtl.ocx going, you'll be good to go. And, you don't absolutely have to use the MSComCtl, but it does come in handy.

All The Best,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Yes it would appear that I was mistaken about the LE version and read some bad info online about it.

I am not aware of any issues with installing VB6 on XP no matter if it is no SP, SP1,2 or 3
    I have installed and re-installed on XP boxes many many times over the years and never once had an issue with it.
    I don't think I have ever used it on XP Home, but Pro Pro N Pro K and MCE I have used all of those without issue.

That said most of these XP machines have had the default permissions and I was logged in under an admin account so if you have other permissions setup or are part of a domain where the permissions are different then I suppose that could be a source of issue.

Have you also installed the VB6 service pack? You should be installing VB6 SP6
    While I have installed VB6 many times on XP machines I have never tried to use it without a service pack installed

Hate to tell you both but SP6 is installed - just dont know

Here is a description of what happens:

VB6 installs just fine

Machine re-start and then those files setup will not install and there is a log file generated but I for the life of me cannot find it

PowerPoster

Not that it should matter but what version of XP are you using?

I have to agree with you - it's just that during the set-up process those files are not being installed no matter what I do - automatic or with regsvr.exe

Am using XP Home SP3

PowerPoster

Have you had the resource editor working on an XP Home machine in the past?

I am fairly sure that the OS was a upgrade to XP and I now have XP home running

Thanks again for all the replies tho - I do appreciate it

I've have created new accounts - guest and admin levels and yet I get the same results

And to re-state I have used the res editor in other projects before the crash with normality - I have seen tweaks to the registry that might work but I don't even see the keys I need to alter - this might be a registry thing too (I don't expect to get any advice in this section on doing that)

PowerPoster

An upgrade of XP? Perhaps an upgrade version of XP that allowed to upgrade from Windows 9x Me or Nt/2000 but surely not XP. XP Home is the bottom tier of Windows XP.

There was a later version called MCE but I don't think that came in a home version, basically was XP Pro with Media Center added in.

If it worked on that PC and OS before then you may need to consider doing a system restore.

Yes I think I may have to do that,,, going to fight with this for one more day...I think the OS before this one was an upgrade from Win ME. I know if I do re-install of XP I better say a prayer

Thanks again for the reply; this shouldn't be this difficult.

Jeff

Frenzied Member

In Scotland we have a saying -
    "It is an ill wind that blows nobody no good"
    In our case VB.NET is the ill wind
    Some of the VB.NET lovers are so enamored with that generous gift from the heavens, and have so much disdain for VB6, that they will feel a weight off their shoulders, if they purge all memories of VB6 from their system.
    Shirley there is a way (on our site) to entice them to sell their licensed copies of VB6 Pro to the many eager buyers ?

PowerPoster

Who is Shirley?

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Who is Shirley?
    From the classic movie 'Airplane' (aka 'Flying High' in aust)
    “Surely you can't be serious,”
    and Rumack replies, “I am serious — and don’t call me Shirley.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    Some of the VB.NET lovers are so enamored with that generous gift from the heavens, and have so much disdain for VB6, that they will feel a weight off their shoulders, if they purge all memories of VB6 from their system.
    Shirley there is a way (on our site) to entice them to sell their licensed copies of VB6 Pro to the many eager buyers ?
    1) No one said anything about .NET so that's a non-sequitur and has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Just because YOU don't like .NET is no reason to go blasting it or people who do use it. VB6 hold outs seem to get their panties in a bunch when some one blasts them for sticking with VB6 so don't go around blasting those of us that moved on. Personally I like to be gainfully employed. Holding on to VB6 wouldn't have gotten me to where I am.
    2) You most certainly can sell your copy of VB6... provided you first uninstall it from your system and your transfer all materials to the new party - read your licence agreement, it's been in there since 1995.
    3) There's a huge sales market for it. Just go check out eBay sometime. There's plenty of copies of it for sale. But do be careful because not all of them are legit copies.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

LOL to all of you - And yes I love Airplane...Anyhoo

I guess I could sell some blood and buy another VB6 version - but what is the hard and true guarantee that that will work?

The last thing I want to do is go out and buy .NET - I do a lot research before I invest anything in something to replace something that I am very comfortable with and that works (sort of). I'd rather give up programming on the hobby level

PowerPoster

I've used VB6 Professional for years, had it on Win98, ME, 2000, XP with and without the SP1,2,3 XP MCE, Vista, 7,8,10 Requires a few tricks when installing on 8 and above but will work on all of them. Note that none of these were the home version. I always use Pro, Business, Ultimate or Enterprise versions of the OS. The only ones that would be considered a home version would be 98 and ME.

As for .Net, no need to go out and buy it. You can download the community/express editions for free directly from MS

tried messing with visual studio 2010 after I downloaded it - a true waste of time - doesnt even recognize *.vbp files. Am still in battle to get this to work

I see I can buy the enterprise edition of vb6 ($300) which would be the true waste of $$ - don't need the extras that come with that edition. I am a one man band just making apps for my use.

Not giving up the battle - I see from past registry files that there is a difference in post and pre-crash of my system. Stay tuned and again thanks to all for your replies and help

PowerPoster

I can only conclude that VB6 LE just wasn't installed correctly.

I've never used that Edition but I can't image the installation process is radically different. Probably just far fewer options regarding optional components of the package.

On a pre-UAC OS like the dead and unsupported Windows XP there shouldn't be anything tricky at all. You simply need to be logged on as a member of Administrators. After installing it any user in Administrators or Power Users should be able to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    I think you have the saying wrong, as I don't believe the double negative is in there. That saying isn't just Scottish, though, so maybe that's the Scottish variation on it.

Lots of people who moved on to .NET had some form of the MSDN subscription. I'm in that boat myself. I'm not sure that I ever owned a copy of VB6 independent of the subscription, which I still have. You can sell stand alone versions of VS 6 or VB 6, but I'm pretty sure that you can't sell any item obtained off the subscription, or else there's be a real market for things like VB6 that are still available through the subscription, but no other official way.

On the other hand, my father DID have a standalone version of VB6. I really doubt he still has it, but I'll ask him. If you can get $300 on eBay for it, I'm sure he'd be selling.

@habenero: No .NET version will directly open a VB6 project. There were a couple versions that had a converter, but it was terrible, so it was dropped starting with VS2010.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Yes, 2003, 2005 and 2008 all had the converter and on projects it would create a workable exe but on most some recoding would be required.

I also believe that either there is just a problem with the install or there is something corrupted on the PC in question.
    While I have never used LE or XP Home I would expect that it would be no different than installing VB Pro on XP Pro just fewer features.

You are totally correct DataM. I think there is something that might be in the permissions that isnt allowing the registry to be changed ' added.

I am the admin - I have to be I re-set up XP after the crash and I see myself as the Admin.

I think we might be getting a bit away from the VB6 topic here and if the Mods want to move this thread it wouldn;t bother me at all.

I'm going to look at post and pre-crash crash registry files. I know there will be a difference

Thanks again for the guidance for all. Something so simple (it should be) and it's grown like Andre The Giant

Jeff

I think the thread is still most suited for this place, unless you feel that it should be moved to a different forum. It still seems to be primarily about VB6, though it could also be seen as General PC. It's more VB6 than General PC, in my opinion.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Don't worry about Home Edition. I've never had a problem with that for VB6. Some versions of Windows came in a 'Home Basic" Edition that could be an issue but even then I'd have doubts that could be a problem.

Most of the things ripped out in the stripped down Editions didn't even exist in Win9x and VB6 worked there just fine.

thanks to all that replied and are giving me some support and guidance ; It's ok too that the thread stays here - I really feel when setup runs - it will not install / alter the registry for the res files needed

Does anyone know of another program that I could use to make a *.res file. It's either that or this thread might have to go in the "cold case" file

PowerPoster

Well, there is the Resource Compiler (RC.exe) but without Visual Studio or a Windows SDK I'm not sure where you'd get that.

You'll have to look up the syntax of its source (.RC) files.

Ok Thanks fro the reply - I think I had windows SDK on this machine before the stroke and I do have the resource compiler as I do have MSDN disks

Hyperactive Member

I checked a copy of Learning Edition and yes, everything was there for Resource Editor. Seemed to work fine.

You may have seen this link, but if not, maybe worth reviewing? It is a bit dated (prior to XP), but VB is a bit dated too.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

hate to say this LaVolpe - the link wasnt active

I just cant understand why those DLLs and OCXs wont register for the Res Editor. I've even re-done the user permissions to tell XP that I am the supreme Admin

I can register other DLLs and OCXs...

what a night mare

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast