Thread: [RESOLVED] Is windows 10 compatible with visual studio 2010 ultimate

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Is windows 10 compatible with visual studio 2010 ultimate

Hello.

Three days ago I migrated from Windows 8 to Windows 10. After that, I have been facing a problem. When I try to code I receive this error: "Could not copy "obj\x86\Debug\CARS.exe" to "bin\Debug\CARS.exe". Beginning retry 10 in 1000ms. The process cannot access the file 'bin\Debug\CARS.exe' because it is being used by another process."

I just do not know how to solve this, so I am looking for help.

Thanks in advance.

Nelson

Re: Is windows 10 compatible with visual studio 2010 ultimate

I've used VS 2010 on several Windows 10 machines so there is no specific incompatibility. That said, I know I'm not alone in having seen a similar issue to yours at times with various versions of VS on various OSes. It may be the project rather than the IDE, so do you see similar issues with other projects? If so then you might want to repair VS.

Hi,

To answer the header question... Yes it is. Actually, since VS2010 was released long before Windows 10 your question ought to be the opposite way round, however the answer is still yes it is.

As to the problem you're having, you need to be sure 'bin\Debug\CARS.exe' is not in use, this means it's not running, you're not reading from, or writing to it while you're trying to copy it. Although the error says another program it could be the actual program with which you're trying to copy it.

Poppa.
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

1) Use the "Clean Solution" option.
    2) Close VS
    3) Delete the bin folder... or at least the contents of the bin folder
    4) Open VS, open your project, run it

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I ran into this a few months ago. It was the vshost process locking the exe after a debugging session because it didn't release the handle properly.

Did you do an upgrade or a clean installation of Windows 10? The problem only appeared on machines that been upgraded. The only solution that worked was to wipe the hard disk, do a clean install of Windows 10 and then install VS2010. Microsoft couldn't provide any other solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Swinger View Post
    I ran into this a few months ago. It was the vshost process locking the exe after a debugging session because it didn't release the handle properly.
    I've had lots of issues with that vshost process mostly with VS2005 and VS2008 that it reached a point where I always turn that off (for both debug and release builds) in the project properties as soon as I create a project.
    Even though I'm using VS2015 for everything today, by always turning that off I've never had these issues with it since.

That being said, I do have VS2010 running fine on a couple of Win10 computers (one was upgraded, other was clean install), but I don't have any projects that has vshost turned on either.
    Frankly I don't see any benefit to having that vshost process even run, it only seems to create problems.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All Threads • Colors ComboBox • Fading & Gradient Form • MoveItemListBox/MoveItemListView • MultilineListBox • MenuButton • ToolStripCheckBox • Start with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Swinger View Post
    Did you do an upgrade or a clean installation of Windows 10? The problem only appeared on machines that been upgraded. The only solution that worked was to wipe the hard disk, do a clean install of Windows 10 and then install VS2010. Microsoft couldn't provide any other solution.
    Wow... that's pretty extreme... especially when all that needs to be done is shut VS down, clear out the bin folder and re-start VS.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

That was the first thing we tried but it would only fix the problem until the next debugging session and then it was back again.

You don't want to know.

This is a really crazy common problem with VS 2010, and a few years ago someone would ask about it almost once a week. As far as I know, MS never acknowledged it as a bug and no one ever found a reliable solution. I had it happen to one of my work projects very frequently, and learned to keep Process Explorer open so I could go toss the handle since it took minutes to restart VS.

I've almost never seen it reported for later versions of VS, so "upgrade to a new VS" might be the only reliable solution.

Just at the moment Microsoft seem to be pushing VS2017, the Community version is free so why not try that ?

If you find it works well enough you might consider upgrading to the Ultimate version.

Poppa.

Lively Member

Thanks to all of you that replied my question.

It seems the problem is solved. I red, I do not remenber where, that renaming the .exe file in the Bin would solve the issue. I did it and, so far, the problem is gone.

On the other hand. it also seems that the time to upgrade has arrived.

By the way, I did an upgrade directly from Microsoft site.

Thanks again.

Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by necalabria View Post
    Thanks to all of you that replied my question.

It seems the problem is solved.
    Nelson
    That's good news, maybe you'd consider marking this thread as resolved.

(Top of this page. find the 'Thread tools' tab)

Poppa.

Lively Member

Hi Poppa,

When I wrote reply # 11 I marked the thread as resolved.

You can see that in the title.

Thank you.

Nelson

Hi Poppa,

Thank you.

Nelson
    How exactly did you do that? Did you use the Thread Tools menu? I ask because it's usually the case that subsequent posts include the "[Resolved]" prefix in the title but that seems not to be the case here.

Hi Poppa,

Thank you.

Nelson
    Oh... OK, I wonder why it'd not showing as resolved in following posts ? Not even this one, as yet.

Poppa.