Thread: should be simple.. how to make a variable equa a lnumeric value typed into a textbox?

should be simple.. how to make a variable equa a lnumeric value typed into a textbox?

Not used VB6 for a while, and now I just can't remember how to do this...
    I have a textbox on form1, I want to take a user inputted value (3 digits usually), and make a 'double' variable take it's value, using 'Val'. But I've fallen at the first hurdle... I've forgotten how to make a variable take a value inputted to a text box by a user.
    What is the syntax for this?

The textbox appears as 'Textbox2' on the form while I'm writing code.

The sub is called 'Private Sub pictureHeight_Change()'

If IsNumeric(TextBox2.Text) Then picinput$ = TextBox2.Text
    PicHeight_Px = Val(picinput$)

was my best effort

Thanks.
    Last edited by moorea21; Mar 18th, 2017 at 09:32 AM.

Sinecure devotee

Re: should be simple.. how to make a variable equa a lnumeric value typed into a text

Do you need to save the value in picinput$ for another purpose?
    You can just do a Val on the TextBox text, although once you've verified it is numeric, then using CDbl is technically more efficient.
    Code:
    If IsNumeric(TextBox2.Text) Then 
      PicHeight_Px = Val(TextBox2.Text)
    End If
    Last edited by passel; Mar 18th, 2017 at 10:04 AM.

PowerPoster

Re: should be simple.. how to make a variable equa a lnumeric value typed into a text

Not only more efficient, CDbl() is locale-aware unlike the crusty old Val() function.

And there isn't much point to your temporary picinput$ the way you are using it.

It seems I had to substitute pictureHeight.Text for TextBox2.Text...

If IsNumeric(pictureHeight.Text) Then
    PicHeight_Px = Val(pictureHeight.Text)
    End If

Only trouble is, as soon as I type just 1 digit into the textbox, it immediately starts running this sub.

How do I make sure it only does this when the user has finished typing in the new value into the textbox?

Thanks

Well, how do you know WHEN the user is 'done'? You said that 'usually' it is 3 digits, which means to me it could be 1, 2, 4 or more as well. One way to do that is when the user 'finishes', he can hit the enter key (you can figure that one out, I am sure). Or have a cmd button next to the textbox and the user would click it when 'done' entering whatever number of digits he wants.

Just a personal preference.

When I develop forms that require user input via textboxes, I generally create a separate procedure that validates all the textbox values are valid and filled in, as needed. In other words, unless absolutely necessary, I don't validate textbox input as the input occurs or when the textbox loses focus. This validation routine would be called when the user selects an action that uses the input. If validation fails, then the user is informed via a msgbox that required information is missing or invalid.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

I had considered using an 'ok' or 'enter' button, not sure whether to or not yet. Validation will be something I'll add when I've got my head around the basic idea of adding the values. The textbox 'losing focus' seems like a good way of signalling the end of user input, and there's another button that has to be pressed immediately afterwards anyway, in most cases.

What do you mean by:

when I've got my head around the basic idea of adding the values.
    Still need help with that...and what are you adding to what?

I meant user behaviour when adding values to this particular text box.

The fact that the bit of code I initially had trouble with gets called whenever any digit is changed in the text box turns out not to matter, so I left it as per Passel's example, and added a dummy 'ok' button next to it, which just makes the user feel more certain that the program has taken notice of them! A message box that pops up whenever a non numerical value is entered takes care of the odd typo.

Note that if numerical input is the main reason for this thread, you may want to search the forum for similar solutions. There are several ways to ensure user can only enter numerical data in a textbox including during input, post-input, using masked edit control, and using APIs.

Key search terms: textbox numbers only
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}