Thread: run time error 731 application defined or object oriented error

run time error 731 application defined or object oriented error

Hi guys, im relatively experienced in vb6 but this time im really stuck i a very petty issue. I developed a complete vb6 app and it works well mostly. i generated its setup using the setup factory vb6 setup generation tool and package and deplyment wizard both. but in some win 8 and 7 pcs i get the runtime error 731 application defined or object oriented error. i tried a number of regular measures which include
    1) including vb6, vb5 runtime in setup
    2) installing mdac and odbc drivers
    3) manually copying and registering following dlls
    msdbrptr.dll
    msstdfmt.dll
    msado.tlb

but none of it seems to work..pls guide on what to do next.. ill also try to attach a link of the setup to try
    regards

PowerPoster

Re: run time error 731 application defined or object oriented error

If it is written in VB6 then you have no need for VB5 runtime. That is used only by VB5
    VB6 runtime is already on Windows 7 and 8 so should not be included with your setup.
    MDAC should not be included either.

If anything those measures you have taken would cause problems rather than fix it

The first thing you should do is determine where the error is being generated and what is generating the error.
    One method of doing this is by adding logging to suspect routines and then review the log to see what is there.
    Ideally use a utility that adds line numbers to your code and in your error handlers either log the ERL or show it in a msgbox

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    If it is written in VB6 then you have no need for VB5 runtime. That is used only by VB5
    VB6 runtime is already on Windows 7 and 8 so should not be included with your setup.
    MDAC should not be included either.

If anything those measures you have taken would cause problems rather than fix it

The first thing you should do is determine where the error is being generated and what is generating the error.
    One method of doing this is by adding logging to suspect routines and then review the log to see what is there.
    Ideally use a utility that adds line numbers to your code and in your error handlers either log the ERL or show it in a msgbox
    Thanks for the answer first of all. Yes i did know the above files weren't essential but those were just desperate measures the error comes where the database connection is made. It uses APP.PATH to refer to it, and i read in some post that app.path has issues in win 7 and 8. So tried editing it but that doesnt help too

PowerPoster

app.path does not have any issues really.

The issue that comes up when using App.Path on Vista and later is that App.Path is usually the program files folder or program files(x86)

Those folders are write protected so you can not use them as a storage location for your database or other files you require write access too.

I have one old program that uses app.path. I altered the installer to install to a different location and all works fine.
    Of course this is not the recommended method but it will work.

To see if you are being bitten by the security features of the OS you could temporarily disable UAC and see if your error goes away. If it does then it is the path of your data that is the culprit.
    You could also try running your app as admin and see if it works under that condition

You should be placing the database under the application data folder
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...v=vs.110).aspx

Or on a shared network drive or where ever makes sense but never in program files

do you have any win of these windows ? can you pls give it a try once? the error comes just after the splash screen when you select any of the database type..

PowerPoster

Yes I have all recent versions of Windows but no I will not download and install unknown software to any of them. Sorry.

I think you should be able to correct your issues based on what I posted in post #5

hi.. tried the above suggestion but not much clue. just another imp finding is that it runs well on my lappy having visual studio installed with win 10. thhis makes me think its related to some dll/ dependency only..

PowerPoster

I have Visual studio installed on all of my PCs so if that be the case would not help even if I did try it.

Can you show the code where you make the connection and point out the line where the error occurs?

PowerPoster

did you actually try changing the location of the database? as suggested
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

yes i did that already.. doesnt fix the issue. also i noticed that it does run in one of my pc's with windows 10 which has visual studio 6 installed along with other dev environments.. so again seems more of some dependency based issue.. what say?

PowerPoster

Is it installed in the same location using the same installer on that PC where it works?

Quite often on a dev pc the files will not be in the program files tree and will work fine.

What database are you using?