How to configure Visual Basic 6 + oracle 11g app on network for multi-users.-VBForums

Thread: How to configure Visual Basic 6 + oracle 11g app on network for multi-users.

How to configure Visual Basic 6 + oracle 11g app on network for multi-users.

My application is developed in visual basic 6 and oracle 11g express is its database. Now we need to make it available on our network for multiple users to use it simultaneously. How can I configure it for the same. What is the procedure to make my application a networked multi user app. What installations should I do on other systems. Should I make a “setup” of my app to install on each system? And further more how the connection between the app and database will be created? Thanks.

Re: How to configure Visual Basic 6 + oracle 11g app on network for multi-users.

Oracle should be on a server on the network. You'll then want to create the database there and fill it with what ever it needs. As for the app itself, you just need to change the connectionstring to point to the Oracle server & database that's on the network. That's it. For the most part. There may be other issues, such as dealing with concurrency, but if it was written as a multi-user app in the first place, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *