dcsimg

Thread: Need your opinions about the program the I'll create!!

Hyperactive Member

Need your opinions about the program the I'll create!!

Hi! I wanted to create a program where in there is in need to sign in before you can access the windows desktop, much likely, the ui will be on fullscreen and ill disable all the keyboard shortcut for opening win explorer, alt f4, to not be able to bypass sa the system. Why do I want to do this? To convert the hardcopy logs when using the computer so by signing in, the system will log to db the datetime, username etc. and when they successfully signin, the system will disappear but
    there will ba a logout button existing in desktop so if theyre going to logout, they need to click it to be able to comeback the main system.

Re: Need your opinions about the program the I'll create!!

That all seems rather strange when, from what you describe, you could just require them to sign into Windows. Regardless, you say that you want an opinion but you don't tell us what about exactly. Are you asking, without actually asking, how you would go about creating such an application? If so then, while I don't actually know, I would search for keywords including "kiosk" if I wanted to know.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    That all seems rather strange when, from what you describe, you could just require them to sign into Windows. Regardless, you say that you want an opinion but you don't tell us what about exactly. Are you asking, without actually asking, how you would go about creating such an application? If so then, while I don't actually know, I would search for keywords including "kiosk" if I wanted to know.
    for creating logs of whoever uses that certain desktop. so it is useless you think?

Quote Originally Posted by earvinnill View Post
    for creating logs of whoever uses that certain desktop. so it is useless you think?
    There may be some justification that you haven't provided us with but, if you just require each physical user to log into Windows with a different account then you can simply track the current user and get the information you need. Maybe you need an app to do some or all of that tracking but you don't need anyone to log into that app if they are already logging into Windows with their own account.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    There may be some justification that you haven't provided us with but, if you just require each physical user to log into Windows with a different account then you can simply track the current user and get the information you need. Maybe you need an app to do some or all of that tracking but you don't need anyone to log into that app if they are already logging into Windows with their own account.
    There will be only 1 desktop unit and 1 user account but it will be used by many users, due to they are not writing they're names into our logbook. so I came up with an idea that there must be a requirement to be able to use that certain desktop before they can surf the net.

Wouldn't it just be easier to require them to have their own windows account rather than a single windows account and another account for your application?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Wouldn't it just be easier to require them to have their own windows account rather than a single windows account and another account for your application?
    They all have personal pc but they dont have access for browsing, now I want to restrict them or limit them to 10min only for maximum use per login using the program that i will deploy for internet station.

Just to clarify things....

Will each user be signing into a windows machine and then you want them to also sign into your application before the desktop appears?
    Or will the machine be already signed in and your application is how the effectively login to the PC before the desktop appears?

If a user logs in and gets only 10 minutes will they be allowed to log off, log in and get another 10 minutes or should this be tracked over multiple logins? Will the same user be allowed to move between PCs and log in on a new machine after they have used their 10 minutes on one machine?

If this is solely to restrict internet access then you might be better off investigating some form of proxy server and have it require a login to access the internet and set the appropriate restrictions at the proxy server.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Just to clarify things....

Will each user be signing into a windows machine and then you want them to also sign into your application before the desktop appears?
    Or will the machine be already signed in and your application is how the effectively login to the PC before the desktop appears?

If a user logs in and gets only 10 minutes will they be allowed to log off, log in and get another 10 minutes or should this be tracked over multiple logins? Will the same user be allowed to move between PCs and log in on a new machine after they have used their 10 minutes on one machine?

If this is solely to restrict internet access then you might be better off investigating some form of proxy server and have it require a login to access the internet and set the appropriate restrictions at the proxy server.
    already have restiction on proxy server. maybe this program isn't worth creating for due to the availability of restriction of access using proxy server.

Lightbulb Re: Need your opinions about the program the I'll create!!

Well you could just have a group for users who have used their 10 minutes and a group that hasn't yet. And when they have used their 10 minutes they are moved to the other list and with their username you could also log the date and time so that if it's the next day when the program runs all the users in the list would get moved back over to having 10 minutes again if the times and dates match up right so whenever the program runs you could have it run that check or if it's on 24/7 then you could have it recheck the list every 10 minutes or so.

Example
    List1
    Bob@3/8/2017
    Jake@3/8/2017

List2
    Sam
    Tom
    Kate
    Jim

I would do this with the setting collection for the saving I don't know if that is the best way or not but it is a way that works.

That's how I would make something like this it's pretty simple but it works for what your talking about.