Thread: WordPress Template Database

WordPress Template Database

Hi there,

I am handling a WordPress project right now, and I don't have any background at all. So basically, something went wrong with the existing database hosted in bluehost, a valuable data deleted in wp_options table, resulting some elements to remove in the website.

So I ask for the resources used by the real developer, and I was hoping that if I install this locally I can get a copy of the database same within the Bluehost. He gave me the Template used, now I'm wondering is the database included in there?

Needed help here very much.

Thank you

Re: WordPress Template Database

Owch... hate to break it to you but this is going to hurt...

There is a setup script ... wp_install.php which is located in the admin folder ... it's a wizard like script that posts to itself multiple times, depending on the step you're on. It does a lot - creates the mod rewrites, sets up the config.php file and creates the database STRUCTURE. It does not create the database, you have to have one already existing, it will just create the tables within the database.

You can grab the WordPress install from their site and install it (I do this all the time on a WAMPP/XAMPP setup) then you'll be able to see what's in the wp_options table and compare it to the live site a maybe figure out what is missing. If there's some error messages I might be able to decipher them, but if it's just pure configuration that's been mangled... there's no telling what is missing. Templates also use that table to store their configuration settings as well as a number (if not all) of the addins, extensions, widgets, etc...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hi techgnome,

Could you guide me all through out?

So I installed XAMPP now, and I have the template they used in the website. My first step is to try to get a wp_option table that the developer used in the live one. If I didn't be able to have a copy then I need to re-create some (though this would be a complicated one).
    Last edited by FunkySloth; Mar 6th, 2017 at 08:15 PM.

the best way is to run the install for WordPRess ... however the options table itself - if I remember right - is actually quite simple - it's basically a key/value pair type of table. The option name is in one field, and the value is in the other. The table itself is simple... it's the values in the table that is going to be a problem... depending on what was deleted/corrupted.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

XAMPP is now running fine, after installing and re-configuring some ports. I installed the WordPress locally.

So how am I gonna get the database from the template that the developer gave to me?
    Last edited by FunkySloth; Mar 7th, 2017 at 01:19 AM.

Okay, so the package that the developer gave to me was only the template. But the database wasn't there. What to do now .

Is there any backups of the database available? Do you know if Bluehost had a backup system in place?

Unfortunately no backups and they didn't setup any backup system in bluehost.

Is there anything left in the wp_options table or has it gone completely? Unfortunately without any valid backups you could be out of luck on this one and you might need to recreate the settings from scratch.

The table is safe, though there's one item that was edited and that is what I need to recover. It affects majority of the designs.

In that case you are probably stuck with trying repair the edit by hand, I would however suggest getting a backup policy in place from now on - this could have been far worse.

I'm sad to hear that, yeah thank you for reminding me. I better make it a routine to make backup
    This is a big trouble, I don't know what is the structure.
    Last edited by FunkySloth; Mar 8th, 2017 at 04:58 AM.

The options table is pretty basic... if I remember right, it's a key value pair or something simple like that. Your best bet is to setup a local install... load up all of the widgets and extensions being used and activate teh template.... then look to see what's in the new version that's missing from the old.

A couple things... templates and widgets are supposed to be self-repairing... but you need to know what template or widget that's affected. Disabling then re-enabling it should - operative word there, should - repair damage to the table.

Also, have you tried posting in the WP Forums for help on this? You're probably going to be more likely to get the help you need than you will from a bunch of VB developers.

BTW - there are a few addins for WP that do backups and restores and at least one that you can schedule via a cron job to do backups.

-tg

@techgnome - I will try to post my concern in WordPress Forum. Right now I downloaded the live website and will install it locally. Firstly, I will figure out how to work this in localhost.
    Last edited by FunkySloth; Mar 9th, 2017 at 04:27 AM.

Name:  Sample.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  14.5 KB

This is the homepage look like after the data deleted.