Thread: Issue with Running VB6 in Windows 7

Issue with Running VB6 in Windows 7

I am having trouble opening my VB6 code on my new workstation. First, here is the error (as an example from one of my programs):

When I double click to open the .vbp project the following two errors occur.

"Object Library Not Registered"

"Continue Loading Project" / Yes

I click Yes and I'm referred to Form1.log. When I open the Form1.log. The following details are displayed.

Line 13: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control ProgressBar1 was not a loaded control class.
    Line 24: Class MSComctlLib.StatusBar of control StatusBar1 was not a loaded control class.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I've read several articles on this issue and here's what I've tried. I've taken the following file (mscomct2.ocx) and copied it into C:\Windows\SysWOW64\. Then I followed the following instructions regarding this component:

Manually register this component when VB6 controls are missing

1. Copy component under folders:
    C:\Windows\sysWow64 >64
    C:\Windows\system32 >32

2. Open DOS cmd prompt with Administrator rights
    3. Point to "C:\Windows\sysWow64"
    4. Execute command:
    regsvr32 mscomct2.ocx

When I run this, I get the following message:

DllRegisterServer in mscomct2.ocx succeeded.

However, after I've run these steps. The same error messages and the same log entries occur. Is there a step that I'm missing?

Thank you

PowerPoster

Re: Issue with Running VB6 in Windows 7

Try creating a new project and add that common controls component to it.
    If it works save the project then exit out and open the .vbp with notepad
    Locate the line [should be near the top] that has the reference to the common controls dll
    Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.0#0; MSCOMCTL.OCX
    Pay attention to the part in red and then open the troublesome project files .vbp in notepad and compare.
    You may see that the last digit there is different. If so change the troublesome project to match the working one, save and try to open it in VB.

This happens to me on many occasions. If I continue opening the project, I look on the forms that have the control stated in the log file. It is, in my case, because that control (or sometimes, controls) have been replaced somehow with pictureboxes. For a while, I was going into each form and 'fix' it, by putting the appropriate control back where they needed to be, deleting the pictureboxes.

But, over time, I found (and in every case, BTW), that when I get that error, I STOP loading the project, and close it (without saving it, of course)...then I open the project up again, and everything is fine.

It happens to me (on different projects), about once every two weeks. Not knowing how to 'fix it' so it will never occur again, I found that simply reopening it works fine.

PowerPoster

I have only ran into the issue a couple of times myself and in each case it was from downloading code that someone did on 7 and I loaded under XP.

Upon inspection I found that the line I showed above in the file was different. Changing it to the one that worked on that machine fixed it no problem.

Ahhh, I don't remember all the details, but I also used to have similar problems. They've disappeared since I've kept my development machine fairly consistent over the last couple of years, but I used to copy my source code around to two or three different machines for development because of various circumstances.

I also had problems with that MSCOMCTL.OCX. Here's a Microsoft Link that talks about the problem, but not even that link fully resolves things.

I never totally understood this, but control information is sometimes simultaneously placed in the .FRM files in addition to the .VBP file. It must be in the .VBP file if your project is to load properly. However, I've never found a good reason for it to also be in the .FRM files. In fact, a solution to the problem (for me) was to open the .FRM files in notepad and delete the MSCOMCTL.OCX information (which looked something like the line posted by DataMiser in post #2). (I also deleted all similar lines with never any ill effects.) Also, there were occasional issues regarding whether #2.0 versus #2.1 were on the machine. Again, I forget the issues, but this did cause complications. And it may have been back when I was still having to deal with Win-XP machines.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

There were a series of security patches that may replace MSCOMCTL.OCX with one that broke binary compatibility. The new interfaces are version 2.1 instead of the universal version 2.0.

Some of these patches were related to IE while others were related to Office 2007 and later.

Some systems that got the IE patches were a bit better off, because VB6 could Update ActiveX Controls (if you had not turned the option off) and automatically "promote" existing Projects to the new interfaces. Old compiled code still ran because the OCX still implemented both interfaces.

Other systems got the Office patches, and these were horribly flawed. The problem was the broken installer that broke interface version 2.0's registration and brute-forced in the version 2.1 registration. To compile an existing VB6 Project you had to manually update the interface to 2.1, either by editing the .VBP file or by removing the broken reference and setting a new reference to the altered OCX for which the only valid interface version would be picked up. But as far as I can recall the OCX still implemented version 2.0 interfaces, so a previously compiled EXE would still run.

The IE patch seems to have gone away for whatever reason, so Windows 8.x and later never get it. So unless you have installed Office 2007 or later there only the 2.0 interfaces are implemented in MSCOMCTL.OCX and registered.

That means if an old project ever got "upgraded" to the 2.1 interfaces only manually fixing the Project will allow the Project to open and compile properly.

If you adopt the 2.1 interfaces you still can face a problem. If you compile a program and install it on a machine that already has MSCOMCTL.OCX installed the odds are high that the one already installed does not implement the 2.1 interfaces, so kaboom.

So your best bet is to (a.) move to Windows 10 as your development machine, and (b.) never install Office 2007 or later. Then your compiled programs will run anywhere from Windows 95 through Windows 10, even if some fool has installed Office 2007 or later. That's because they will have been compiled against the universal 2.0 interfaces.

PowerPoster

BTW:

Code:
    The 2.0 there is the interface version, a qualifier of the TypeID GUID. The 0 after that is an LCID value, and is also a qualifier. But unless you are compiling against a localized OCX it would almost always be 0.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Try creating a new project and add that common controls component to it.
    If it works save the project then exit out and open the .vbp with notepad
    Locate the line [should be near the top] that has the reference to the common controls dll

Pay attention to the part in red and then open the troublesome project files .vbp in notepad and compare.
    You may see that the last digit there is different. If so change the troublesome project to match the working one, save and try to open it in VB.
    I tried as suggested. When I created the new project, I then attempted to add the component Microsoft Windows Common Controls 2.6.0 (SP6) and received the same error message "Object Library Not Registered", which is odd since I did register it. I even received the message DllRegisterServer in mscomct2.ocx succeeded, when I did it originally.

If I go to the example program I originally posted about, this is what I have in the .vbp:

PowerPoster

Note MSComCTL.Ocx is not the same as MSComCt2.Ocx

Are you sure you even registered the right file?

The Progress bar and status bar are in MSComCTL.Ocx

Despite what MS says, the IE10 rollout in Win 7 via automatic updates caused all Apps that used MsComCtl.Ocx and many other 3rd party control suites to fail. This is well documented in VbForums as well as the solution. To my knowledge MS never fixed this and is not an issue with Windows 8/10.

The final (correct) fix (in lieu of uninstalling IE10) was:

Run elevated (Admin) command prompt:

x64
    ---
    cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\
    regtlib msdatsrc.tlb

x86
    ---
    cd C:\Windows\System32\
    regtlib msdatsrc.tlb

Afternoon, DR....you said
    To my knowledge MS never fixed this and is not an issue with Windows 8/10.
    And, I don't doubt your statement as it relates to the conversations above...however, I, on occasion (after having 'fixed' nothing), experience OP's issue. And, like I said above, instead of really trying to learn why (which I guess I should), because all I have to do is restart the project, and everything loads fine. And, I am using 8.1 on one machine, and 10 on the other...both still experience this once in a while.

Sam

all I have to do is restart the project, and everything loads fine. And, I am using 8.1 on one machine, and 10 on the other...both still experience this once in a while.
    The issue you are referencing is unrelated to the one presented by BillSher.

The issue of Ocx being replaced with a PictureBox has been around for years and is not related to which version of Windows you are using. If the project cannot find the registered Ocx it gets replaced by a PictureBox. When this happens, do not save the project. Just bail out and try again. This happens often when you are developing your own Ocx and you do not have Binary Compaibility enabled. Also make sure that you have "Upgrade ActiveX Controls" checked.

Name:  Update ActiveX Controls.png
Views: 8958
Size:  16.2 KB
    Last edited by DrUnicode; Feb 27th, 2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry OP.

PS---On my projects in which this occasionally (still) occurs, I am not creating my own OCX's, and I do have that option checked.

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. Sorry OP.

PS---On my projects in which this occasionally (still) occurs, I am not creating my own OCX's, and I do have that option checked.
    I had the same problem a few times, this fix worked for me.

After hours of effort, system restore, register, unregister cycles and a night's sleep I have managed to pinpoint the problem. It turns out that the project file contains the below line:

The version information "2.0" it seems was the reason of not loading. Changing it to "2.1" in notepad solved the problem:

Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.1#0; MSCOMCTL.OCX

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ate-kb-2687323

mscir (and others)...after reading ALL of the link on post #14, there seems to be other culprits out there, like

The problem has been resolved by running the following in elevated command prompt:
    command :
    cd C:\Windows\System32\
    regtlib msdatsrc.tlbor
    cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\
    regtlib msdatsrc.tlb
    Interesting...

mscir (and others)...after reading ALL of the link on post #14, there seems to be other culprits out there, like

Interesting...
    Yes that looks pretty serious as well, I was just talking about what worked in my case but the page is definitely worth reading. Let us know what happens if you apply any of these?

Before I post what I've tried so far, I want to give a brief walk-through of what I'm experiencing. So, I go to our network, where we store our VB6 applications. I open one of them, one that has a scrollbar and upon loading I get this error:

Object Library Not Registered

I then click OK and I am then asked "Continue Loading Project" to which I respond YES. I then receive the following message:

Log created: Errors During Load. Refer to Form1.log for details.

I check the log and I see this message.

Line 42: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control ProgressBar1 was not a loaded control class.

So, now let me explain what I've tried so far. Aside for reaching out to an MS Technician, who then directed me here, I went out to this link as per Elroy:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-error-message

...and I downloaded and reinstalled the Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls Package. After rebooting I tried to go back into the same project and it still gave me the same errors.

I've also tried these steps as it came within a readme.txt when I downloaded VB6 to my new Windows 7 laptop:

4. Execute command:
    regsvr32 mscomct2.ocx

...However, this did nothing to change the error message. I'm running out of ideas. Is there something else I'm forgetting?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSher View Post
    Before I post what I've tried so far, I want to give a brief walk-through of what I'm experiencing. So, I go to our network, where we store our VB6 applications. I open one of them, one that has a scrollbar and upon loading I get this error:

Object Library Not Registered

I then click OK and I am then asked "Continue Loading Project" to which I respond YES. I then receive the following message:

Log created: Errors During Load. Refer to Form1.log for details.

I check the log and I see this message.

Line 42: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control ProgressBar1 was not a loaded control class.

So, now let me explain what I've tried so far. Aside for reaching out to an MS Technician, who then directed me here, I went out to this link as per Elroy:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-error-message

...and I downloaded and reinstalled the Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls Package. After rebooting I tried to go back into the same project and it still gave me the same errors.

I've also tried these steps as it came within a readme.txt when I downloaded VB6 to my new Windows 7 laptop:

4. Execute command:
    regsvr32 mscomct2.ocx

...However, this did nothing to change the error message. I'm running out of ideas. Is there something else I'm forgetting?
    If you open the project and add a scrollbar where there is (I think) a picturebox or other placeholder where the scrollbar was positioned in the original project, can you add it, save it, and reload it? Or do you get an error then too? If so what error?

again....although I was told in a post earlier, that what I also experience (like OP) is not the same issue...I TEND to disagree. Like I said also earlier, this STILL happens on occasion....(happened yesterday). I simply say NO to continue loading. Then close the project and reopen it...works fine...every time. I just ignore it, even though it is a pain sometimes, the frequency is not enough for me to complain. And, yes, that old picturebox appears wherever the culprit control would be (happens with MSFLEXGRIDS on occasion, and possibly others...I just forget which ones).

Sam

again....although I was told in a post earlier, that what I also experience (like OP) is not the same issue...I TEND to disagree. Like I said also earlier, this STILL happens on occasion....(happened yesterday). I simply say NO to continue loading. Then close the project and reopen it...works fine...every time. I just ignore it, even though it is a pain sometimes, the frequency is not enough for me to complain. And, yes, that old picturebox appears wherever the culprit control would be (happens with MSFLEXGRIDS on occasion, and possibly others...I just forget which ones).

Sam
    Is VB6 installed locally, and are the program files on the same computer?

Is IE10 installed on the local workstation?
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ff9b36b?page=4

Bill,

Did you definitely do what DrUnicode suggested in post #10?

I know it seems unrelated, but it's absolutely not. I've also wrestled often with the mscomctl.ocx and mscomct2.ocx through the years. Yes, re-registering them with regsvr32.exe will sometimes help, but that msdatsrc.tlb is also apparently a dependency, and must be correctly registered as well.

However, and I don't know if it helps to hear this or not, but I basically always get it worked out (typically through the things already mentioned above).

Good Luck,
    Elroy

EDIT1: Also, just as an FYI, registering an OCX so it can be used by an executable, and registering it so it can be used in development (by the IDE) are often two different things. To get the second done, the VB6 IDE installation has to go fairly smoothly (elevated and as administrator).
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

locally, by me....(THAT may be the problem..."me"!!! ~smile~)
    Yes, everything within an app's path. (Usually under a directory (I cheekishly call "VisualBasicProjects") where I keep and run ALL my VB6 programs) (Sub directories under that, of course!!!) I don't export/deploy/ship any of mine, their for MY use only. (Hobbyist).

IE 10 installed, but not used hardly at all...Edge is current BOC.

IF you aren't using IE10 is it worth a try uninstalling it?

Frenzied Member

I avoid the MS extra dependencies like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    I avoid the MS extra dependencies like the plague.
    Plague is an appropriate descriptor. IDK if you're old enough to remember 'DLL Hell'.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLL_Hell

Quote Originally Posted by mscir View Post
    IF you aren't using IE10 is it worth a try uninstalling it?
    Interesting. (Windows 10 machine). I can run Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 10 (from Cortena search). But, NEITHER show up in the Control Panel's Installed Programs. Right clicking on IE10 and selecting Uninstall, brings me to the Control Panel, but like I said, it is not listed at all....Really odd.

PowerPoster

Interesting. I have been using VB6 on my Windows 7 box for about a year or so now. I've only had one project fail to load and that was because I had not installed the SS Calendar Widgets on the system.

All projects that use MS Controls load fine, including the ones with progress bar , listview, treeview and so on.

I did get the error message on my XP box at least once and it was that interface entry in the VBP file. The project that caused the issue was downloaded from this forum and had the 2.1 interface. I changed it to 2.0 and no problems at all.

I also have VB6 installed on my Windows 10 machine. I have not used it much there but have not ran into any issues as of yet.
    I do not use IE on either box so I have no idea what version is installed and I do not have any of the later versions of Office installed though I am thinking of doing so since Outlook 2002 has a couple of issues under Windows 7

I have no idea what could make a project fail once then work the next time other than a possible hardware or virtualization issue.

Edit: I just checked and this Windows 7 box has IE 11 installed.

It's probably (in MY case) my VB6 Installation...after a big "Game Night" next Wednesday (using my Jeopardy! program), I'll uninstall and re-installed it ONE MORE TIME to see if that anomaly goes away. (But am still curious on the other subject, why IE and Edge are not showing up in installed programs.) But, that doesn't really belong in this forum, so I will drop the subject.

Sam
    In my case, I clicked no to continue loading the project. Then closed out and reopened and still received the same error "Object library not registered". Following that, it still asks if I want to continue loading the project.

Yes, but on Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Bill,

Did you definitely do what DrUnicode suggested in post #10?

I know it seems unrelated, but it's absolutely not. I've also wrestled often with the mscomctl.ocx and mscomct2.ocx through the years. Yes, re-registering them with regsvr32.exe will sometimes help, but that msdatsrc.tlb is also apparently a dependency, and must be correctly registered as well.

However, and I don't know if it helps to hear this or not, but I basically always get it worked out (typically through the things already mentioned above).

Good Luck,
    Elroy

EDIT1: Also, just as an FYI, registering an OCX so it can be used by an executable, and registering it so it can be used in development (by the IDE) are often two different things. To get the second done, the VB6 IDE installation has to go fairly smoothly (elevated and as administrator).
    Thanks Elroy.

Yes, I'm unable to run regtlib on my PC (Windows 7).

'regtlib' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

Hmmm, at the moment, I'm in Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Service Pack 1.

My regtlib.exe is found in my C:\Windows folder. It's probably not totally advisable to do things this way, but hey ho: Here's a link to the one found my computer. Although, you'd probably do better to get one that's correct for your computer, but I'm not sure where you'd do that.

All The Best,
    Elroy

p.s.: You'd also better get it quick if you want it, as I suspect the moderators will delete my link as soon as they see it. Hey Shaggy, please don't be too mad at me.

My regtlib.exe is found in my C:\Windows folder. It's probably not totally advisable to do things this way, but hey ho: Here's a link to the one found my computer. Although, you'd probably do better to get one that's correct for your computer, but I'm not sure where you'd do that.

All The Best,
    Elroy

p.s.: You'd also better get it quick if you want it, as I suspect the moderators will delete my link as soon as they see it. Hey Shaggy, please don't be too mad at me.
    I'll give it a shot. Thank you Elroy!

All The Best,
    Elroy

I put this in my C:\Windows\ directory, but unfortunately, it's still not recognized.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64>regtlib.exe msdatsrc.tlb
    'regtlib.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

PowerPoster

Are you saying you put it in the Windows folder then tried to run it from syswow64? If so then yes that will fail

you would need to run it from the folder where it is at and pass the path to the file you want to register

C:\Windows>regtlib.exe \Windows\SysWOW64\msdatsrc.tlb

or alternately

C:\Windows\Syswow64>\Windows\regtlib.exe msdatsrc.tlb

PowerPoster

Overall it seems a bit strange. I did not do anything special to get VB6 to work under Windows 7 I simply installed it from the disk as admin then installed the sp6 again as admin and set my vb shortcut to run as admin. Everything works fine.
    Running Windows 7 x64 Professional

All of the projects I have loaded work except those that use the SSCAL control which I have not yet installed on this PC. Of those projects some were developed under Windows 95,98, Me, NT4, 2000 and XP and some of the older ones were done in VB5 still no issues aside from 3rd party controls that I failed to install.

Ohhh, I've quite recently had problems with getting the VB6 IDE to correctly install in a Win7-64 machine. In fact, I was in Montreal during that big storm that blew through there, and I needed to debug on one of their machines. It turned out that the msdatsrc.tlb file was precisely the problem.

And regarding regtlib.exe not being recognized, I'd certainly think that "C:\Windows" would be on the execution path. However, Bill, possibly try just putting it in the C:\ root, and then execute something like the following:

...> c:\regtlib.exe c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msdatsrc.tlb

Also, be sure that msdatsrc.tlb is in your c:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.

This is all very strange though.

Ohhh, I've quite recently had problems with getting the VB6 IDE to correctly install in a Win7-64 machine. In fact, I was in Montreal during that big storm that blew through there, and I needed to debug on one of their machines. It turned out that the msdatsrc.tlb file was precisely the problem.

And regarding regtlib.exe not being recognized, I'd certainly think that "C:\Windows" would be on the execution path. However, Bill, possibly try just putting it in the C:\ root, and then execute something like the following:

...> c:\regtlib.exe c:\Windows\SysWOW64\msdatsrc.tlb

Also, be sure that msdatsrc.tlb is in your c:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.

This is all very strange though.
    I was able to register it from the original c:\windows\ path you gave me. However, I get this message when I try to open the project on the network:

However, at least this time I'm not getting the error message, "Object Library Not Registered." Maybe we're getting closer.

Ok, I'm not sure but it sounds like you don't have the mscomctl.ocx library as a component in your project's VBP file. If you open your VBP file with notepad, you should see a line that looks something like the following:

Code:
    Object={831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}#2.1#0; mscomctl.ocx
    If it's not there, you could try adding it. The actual line it's on in the VBP doesn't matter. But it's that mscomctl.ocx file that gives you the ProgressBar in your toolbox.

Try looking into that and see if it solves the problem.

EDIT1: Alternatively (or in addition), you may want to start a new project, add the "Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6,0 (SP6)" under components, and make sure it loads. Also, take one of the new toolbox controls and throw it on a form, and then execute the project, to see that everything works. If that works, then it's got to be something wrong with your VBP project. Possibly get a fresh copy of it (that worked on some other machine) and try again.
    Last edited by Elroy; Apr 21st, 2017 at 03:58 PM.