Thread: [RESOLVED] how to fetch data to msflexgrid at the same time

Hybrid View

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] how to fetch data to msflexgrid at the same time

Hi, I am using stored procedure to get data and present them to msflexgrid upon form load.

My problem is, I fetch data for 6 msflexgrid and so my sub code calls them like

call getrequestfile
    call getprocessrequestfile
    call getwithresultsfile
    etc....

In that way, it takes time to load all of them. So my question is, what way could I do so that all of the msflexgrid will be filled at the same time.

Regards,

gibra

Re: how to fetch data to msflexgrid at the same time

We know nothing about your project, so need more info...

Addicted Member

Hi gibra, what information do you need more?

Basically, my problem is, I just need to get the data for each msflexgrid at the same time because each call to fill each of the msflexgrid will spend around 2 seconds or more depending of the number of records.

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by genlight View Post
    Hi gibra, what information do you need more?

Basically, my problem is, I just need to get the data for each msflexgrid at the same time because each call to fill each of the msflexgrid will spend around 2 seconds or more depending of the number of records.
    Your explanation has no meaning.
    If you want to be helped, you must illustrate the scenario; especially where data and how to recover them.
    You use a MSFlexGrid or a MSHFlexGrid?

agree with gibra....how about showing your six functions?

it sounds like the subs get the data and fill the grids... so the "Solution" is ... don't do that... jsut get the data and put it somewhere safe, then add it (assuming binding and not a loop and add method) later in the code...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

How is the data presented to the user?
    6 grids on a single form?

You could after the first set of data is loaded already show the form and start loading the content of the other 5 grids.

PowerPoster

My guess would be that it is reading a text file one line or worse one field at a time and stuffing it into the grid.
    As to the solution reading the entire file at once will speed it up but you can't do all these things at once. VB is a single threaded system which means it does one thing at a time. You can add multithreading but you still only have one thread for the UI so even then you can not use multiple threads to effect the UI.

What you can do is write the code in such a way that speed is not an issue but since you have shown no code it is hard to give any suggestions as to what you are doing wrong. All we can do is guess.

Addicted Member

Hi,

My data comes from mysql database. I am on mobile now do I cant give the code I used.

What I did was on form load, I call 6 sub routine procedures that uses recordset and stored procedure to fetch the records and place to msflexgrid. all of the msflexgrid are on one form. its like what arnoutdv said, but that causes loading data to msflexgrid one by one while I need to populate all msflexgrid all at once at same time.

its like

private sub form load

call populate grid1
    call populate grid 6

end sub

PowerPoster

You can't really populate them at the same time.
    I mean you could loop through and add one record to grid1 then 1 record to grid 2 and so on then move to the next record for each grid which sort of is doing them at the same time but not really.

How are you adding the data to the grids? Are you using binding or are you using a loop to add the data and if using a loop then what method are you using to add the data, one field at a time or one row at a time or?

How many records are we talking about here?

Normally populating the FlexGrid(s) shouldn't be a problem, unless you have 100K records or more.
    So either the way you populate the FlexGrid or the actual queries you execute are causing the delays.

PowerPoster

Another option that can speed things up a lot when dealing with larger data sets is to set the .redraw property of the grid to false before adding data and back to true when data adding has been completed.

Code:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Dim strData() As String, X As Long
    RS.Open "select * from tblsales", CN, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockOptimistic
    MSHFlexGrid1.Redraw = False
    If Not RS.EOF Then
        strData = Split(RS.GetString(adClipString, RS.RecordCount, vbTab, vbCr, "Null"), vbCr)
        MSHFlexGrid1.Cols = RS.Fields.Count
        For X = 0 To UBound(strData)
            MSHFlexGrid1.AddItem strData(X)
        Next
    End If
    MSHFlexGrid1.Redraw = True
    RS.Close
    End Sub

PowerPoster

Yeah generally it is pretty quick even when using the .TextMatrix(row,col) to populate but the .additem() method is generally faster.

If the op is looping through a recordset and adding each fields data using the .textmatrix property then there could be a noticeable speed increase by using something more like this.
    Code:
    Dim strData() As String, X As Long
    RS.Open "select * from tblsales", CN, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockOptimistic
    If Not RS.EOF Then
        strData = Split(RS.GetString(adClipString, RS.RecordCount, vbTab, vbCr, "Null"), vbCr)
        MSHFlexGrid1.Cols = RS.Fields.Count
        For X = 0 To UBound(strData)
            MSHFlexGrid1.AddItem strData(X)
        Next
    End If
    RS.Close

And, if this is a program for someone else, show them a splash screen, and while it is visible, load your grids "in the background", then unload the splash screen. Unless you are talking LOTS AND LOTS of records (as mentioned above), OR your queries are taking exceeding long for some reason (again, without the code, it is hard to give advice), then the time for loading six grids should be pretty minimal. Take the advice given by others to 'speed up' your processes, and if that doesn't work, use a splash screen. I know it is not optimal, but at least it takes the user's mind off 'why is this taking so long?'.

Sammi

Addicted Member

datamiser, it only involves 500 records

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by genlight View Post
    datamiser, it only involves 500 records
    Then you definitely need to show us how you are loading the data. 500 records should load very quickly

Addicted Member

thanks all. I tested and tested by code and there was no error on my codes. The problem causing some seconds to process before presenting the data was the formatting of the grid which uses dll. I removed the use of dll and directly store the formatting code on the app code.

so I am closing this thread as resolved now. thanks

Addicted Member

sammi, yes i am already using splash screen which takes a long time which i want to eliminate.

Addicted Member

if i cant really populate them at the same time maybe i should check how long the stored procedure executes.

is there a way to get how long a query execute?