Thread: Suggestion: Double-check when posting to an old thread

Threaded View

Suggestion: Double-check when posting to an old thread

I'm a frequent participant in the VB6 forum. One of the things I notice is that, maybe, once every couple of weeks, someone makes a post to a very old thread. Just today, someone answered a thread that had been inactive for over 10 years. It was a good response, but to someone who has, in all likelihood, long since moved on.

But here's the problem. These are often newcomers to VBForums who are just trying to be helpful, and don't notice the age of the thread. Some of the old-timers might reply with what could be taken as berating, dinging the newcomer for waking an old thread.

IMHO, when something like this happens relatively frequently, it's time to examine the tool (in this case, the software), rather than just keep berating people who are trying to help.

With this in mind, I'm wondering if there's a way to possibly put a double-check pop-up warning when replying to a thread that hasn't had any activity in over some pre-set amount of time (possibly something like six months). Such a pop-up would seem to solve this problem, and also save newcomers the embarrassment of being dinged by the old-timers when making such an easy mistake.

I'm not sure this is possible (in practical terms), but it does seem that it would be a good improvement. Also, if you pursue this, be sure it's "since last activity" and not "since start of thread", as some threads stay very active for quite some time. Many threads in the VB6 codebank are excellent example of this.

Best Regards,
    Elroy

EDIT1: Also, I'd hate to see a prohibition put in place for replying to old threads. I've seen some wonderful discussions occasionally emerge from awakened old threads.
    Last edited by Elroy; Feb 1st, 2017 at 12:37 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.