Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: It's about time!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: It's about time!

I said the zero. The Japanese invented having more than one of 'em.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Didn't we just establish the Romans did that?
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Doesn't having more zeroes still come up nothing?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

So you're saying the Japanese invented copy paste? That's what I'm reading.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Zeros made me think of Cheerios. I heard you can't buy them in Japan where they mostly prefer flake cereals and mainly use them in ice cream as toppings.

Thaaaaat's GREAT!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Well, I meant the zero, myself.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    We did get that you know - or at least us elders did
    Last edited by szlamany; Jan 30th, 2017 at 05:49 PM.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Election fraud always takes place every election throughout history with both parties. This is just the first time that a president is actually going to do something about it. For those who still believe that election fraud never took place, remember what happened back during the George W Bush / Al Gore during the 2000 election with the chads on the voter ballets. Remember that JFK was elected through the mob. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. Here is a list of what takes place every election cycle:

• Most voting places never ask for ID's or drivers licenses to vote. This opens up a big can of worms to all kinds of voter fraud such as illegal aliens voting, multiple voting, or even people able to vote across state / county / precinct lines as many times as they wish.
    • Fraction Magic, which means after the votes have been cast, election officials could easy open up the computer, use special software, and manipulate the numbers all in a matter of seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fob-AGgZn44
    • Mass voting migration, which means people are literally paid by special interests, election officials, or even George Soros, to get bused to a number of different locations to cast their votes to their targeted party. This was revealed by Project Veritas, who went undercover, which you can find here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDc8PVCvfKs
    • Votes getting swapped to a particular candidate. This took place at literally 100s of locations during the 2016 election. Most of the electronic voting machines were literally owned by George Soros. So people who voted straight Republican were shocked to find that their vote for Trump was switched to Hillary before submitting it. To some people, multiple times in a row after going back. Take a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ySqjERMLgQ
    • Opposition harassing others to not enter and vote. This happened back both in 2008 as well as 2012 by the Black Panthers in a number of states to prevent the Republicans from casting their votes.

And it just goes on and on and on. However of all the methods of voter fraud, I find it absurd that the mainstream media would even bother claim that the Russians hacked the election. This is a farce because for one thing, the electronic voting machines would never be connected to the internet. Another big thing is that they would have to hack not one precinct, but all of em, in every single county, in every single state all across the nation, even if they were all wired to the internet. They would have to know the exact IP address, and port of every one of the machines, even the passwords, which would be next to impossible, even to a large group of hackers. Anonymous would be scratching their heads.

As for the popular vote, there is a reason our founders created the electoral college. Its to prevent things such as election fraud based on the popular vote, as well as not leave the rest of the nation behind who aren't as heavily populated as states such as New York, California, Florida, and Texas. And after all the voter fraud taking place namely in favor of Hillary Clinton, after all the cheating that took place during the election debates, with Hillary getting the questions ahead of time, wearing a hidden earpiece, hand signal gestures, etc., after all the MSM bashing Trump for over a year saying he will never become president:

after all the shenanigans George Soros was doing to stop him, after the New World Order was doing everything in their power to stop Donald Trump, he overcame all odds, all barriers, and dodged every bullet they tossed at him. Everything backfired. The mainstream media is now dying, most of the polling data companies have lost all credibility, and the American people are starting to wake up seeing pass the bad information thanks to places such as Wikileaks, Infowars, Drudgereport, RT news, etc. And the alternative media is now on the rise. As for the MSM with their last dying breath, they had the nerve to call the alternative media fake news or alternative facts when the mainstream media themselves produce the fake news and alternative facts. Trump is delivering to every promise he kept at a rapid pace and did more in one week than any other president could. And most of the executive orders he passed were already law!!! His orders are simply stating he is going to enforce the law. For example, the wall he promised to build. It was already signed into law by Democrats back in 2006, by Hillary, Obama, and others!!! He's just actually getting it done and enforcing it. But the MSM will never tell you this. God bless Trump, and may he become the best president we've ever had!
    Last edited by dday9; Jun 14th, 2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Removed Profanity

That's an interesting rant. The bit about voter fraud is pretty much, "it COULD happen, and here's how." Yet the studies on voter fraud are kind of telling. Generally, you can do a Google search on it, and look at the domains. If the domain is left or center, then the article is about how studies show it doesn't exist. If the domain is right, then it's about how it's rampant. I looked at one of the latter, and it was a bunch of anecdotal stories about individual cases coupled with lurid suggestions about potential larger groups that are speculated to exist. However, I have no idea what the site was, so it could have been tinfoil hat, for all I know.

The bottom line is this: If you want to believe there is rampant voter fraud, read a conservative site. If you want to believe there isn't rampant voter fraud, then read a liberal site. Everybody can stay safely in their camp, surrounded by stories, links, and facts of unknown provenance that confirm whatever they already believe.

It's not actually worth trying to make a case one way or the other, since each side can bring a wealth of links on the subject. So, rather than that, can you make a case that would make it clear to the other side? I believe the answer to that is undoubtedly a resounding NO!! Instead, how about coming up with a means to test whether voter fraud occurs? How would you determine that?

The reason for this is simple: Who cares what your opinion is? You can just say either Red or Blue and we can all fill in the rest. So, the only meaningful basis of conversation is to find a way to determine a common truth.

That's an interesting rant. The bit about voter fraud is pretty much, "it COULD happen, and here's how." Yet the studies on voter fraud are kind of telling. Generally, you can do a Google search on it, and look at the domains. If the domain is left or center, then the article is about how studies show it doesn't exist. If the domain is right, then it's about how it's rampant. I looked at one of the latter, and it was a bunch of anecdotal stories about individual cases coupled with lurid suggestions about potential larger groups that are speculated to exist. However, I have no idea what the site was, so it could have been tinfoil hat, for all I know.

The bottom line is this: If you want to believe there is rampant voter fraud, read a conservative site. If you want to believe there isn't rampant voter fraud, then read a liberal site. Everybody can stay safely in their camp, surrounded by stories, links, and facts of unknown provenance that confirm whatever they already believe.

It's not actually worth trying to make a case one way or the other, since each side can bring a wealth of links on the subject. So, rather than that, can you make a case that would make it clear to the other side? I believe the answer to that is undoubtedly a resounding NO!! Instead, how about coming up with a means to test whether voter fraud occurs? How would you determine that?

The reason for this is simple: Who cares what your opinion is? You can just say either Red or Blue and we can all fill in the rest. So, the only meaningful basis of conversation is to find a way to determine a common truth.
    Wow!

Thumbs up!
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Funny though. Wasn't it Jill Stein who (miraculously) scraped up the cash to fund recounts in several states that went for Trump?

What they found after wrangling that took a judge to stop it was that many Hillary-heavy Detroit precincts had counting machines that registered far more votes than paper ballots locked inside. From the discrepancies it was clear many ballots had been scanned and counted as many as six times. Once that finding came out the same judge reversed himself suddenly, putting an end to the recount.

You can't trust any of the corporatist party machines, no matter what color of shirt they wear. There is a lot of cheating going on from the local level to the top.

Behind it all there are two rich guys making bets for one dollar, like that old movie Trading Places. While fiction, it was all a game for them until they both lost. In this case it isn't two guys, but two teams of rich manipulators with goals differing very little.

I think either a Sanders or a Trump win would have been a loss for the invisible hand either way. Bernie got the hook and was dragged off the stage early is all, so people turned to Trump.

Yeah, I got that. But as a pun it pretty much bombed.

(OK, they weren't bombers, but I'm using alternative facts)
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

@fd - you are NOT taking us back on topic - no, no!!

Facts - who cares about facts. Filtered and digested information is what most people get...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post

Facts - who cares about facts. Filtered and digested information is what most people get...
    Most. This would imply (or should I infer?) that there are some people who don't have filtered and digested information. None, one or many of those have no information. None one or many of those have true information.

Ignoring the no information group, the remaining true information group gets drowned out by the 'most' group, or the statements of truth are labeled as 'fake news', etc by one side or the other.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    @fd - you are NOT taking us back on topic - no, no!!

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

The best part about what's going on recently is that it's going so fast that we barely have time to keep on topic.

Who cares about vote review at this moment? This week has seen a lot more crazy then auditors-with-brown-shoes showing up to vet the vote!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Yeah, I got that. But as a pun it pretty much bombed.

(OK, they weren't bombers, but I'm using alternative facts)
    Well,I was just winging it. I was making a pitch for yaw'll to switch over to plain puns.

So, thanks to Dilettante, I did go look for some info on the Detroit thing. In some ways, it raised more questions that it answered. Mostly, one article stated that Michigan law prohibits a recount if the ballot numbers don't match up sufficiently....hunh??? Couldn't find that in any other article, and find it mighty hard to believe. Isn't that the exact case where you WANT a recount? Anyways, the total discrepancies didn't amount to 1000 votes, and most of the precinct errors were in the single digits, which suggests some other kind of error.

Which brings me to an utterly nonpartisan recount issue that has bothered me for well over a decade: Fish!

For two years running, I marked some fish as part of a project. The fish received one mark at one size, then we marked them again once they got larger. In both cases, the number of fish was counter by machine. In the first event, the number was counted twice using machines. The second count only happened if a mark was detected (it was magnetic). That was a mechanical system that I had studied in great depth. I know what can cause it to fail, and believe I have worked out all possible errors in the count, of which there were a few. However, due to the way the system worked, we had a count of the maximum possible error. I couldn't say what the true error was, I could just say that the true error had to be less than N. The error in that marking was no more than a few dozen out of 70,000, so a tiny fraction of a percent.

So, then we came back and marked the fish a few months later. There could EASILY have been some loss between the two marking events, but the known loss was only a dozen, or so, which wasn't much. The second marking event was so laborious, and costly, that only a few people, including myself, were allowed to do the marking (and what a joy that was, considering the air temperature never got above freezing and we had our hands in water that wasn't much above freezing, either). We had to press a button to apply the mark, and every press of the button cost money (you bought a number of button clicks, rather than buying the material for the mark). The point was that we had a highly dedicated, conscientious, team, working slowly and counting every fish by those button clicks.

So, if the numbers came out the same between the first marking and the second, that would be a little surprising. If the numbers in the second marking came out lower than the first, that would be reasonable (unseen mortality). Of course, that's not what happened, or I wouldn't be puzzled. The numbers in the second marking came out about 10% higher than the number in the first mark. This happened both years, with the error being in the same direction, and between 10 and 15% each year.

My best guess is that the machines doing the counting the second time, since the profit was based on the size of the count, were inflating the count. However, we tested that over and over by marking 100 fish and comparing hand to machine count. We never saw a problem when doing those counts.

Because of that, I have little faith in our ability to count large numbers, whether by hand or by machine. There just will be error in the system. The best system might get the error down to 1%, or so, but it will never get to 0%. Therefore, I feel that the count is the count, and at some point you have to stop recounting and live with it. However, anybody who wins an election by only a few percent had best realize that half the people liked the other person better.

Sorry, but I have to...

"Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

PowerPoster

I agree that large numbers can be hard to count. Precision stays about the same as you scale, so precision scales with it. If you have 1% error at 100 votes then at 1 million votes it probably won't get better than 1% and might even get worse. More people of varying skill, techniques, diligence, and honesty, more coordination involved, etc.

As far as close counts go though I think it tells a lot that record numbers of voters left their President vote blank. While one might argue these were as likely Republicans who wouldn't vote for Trump as Democrats who wouldn't vote for Trump but that may be wishful thinking by the losers. Some ballot analyses bear that out.

Then consider how many down-ballot seats flipped from D to R because people have grown tired of the same old sauce from the Ds. That was probably some Ds who voted R down-ballot even if they felt they couldn't handle a Trump, along with D voters who stayed home out of disgust.

Any way you slice it the ballot analyses are all pointing to the same thing: by running Hillary the Democrats blew the election from President on down. What we don't know is whether running a progressive D like a Sanders would have tipped things the other way. For that all we have are polls, but they seem to support that theory.

People were tired of Reagan-Bush/Clinton-Obamaism and they wanted change. Neither Party was prepared for that, thinking that having bribed densely populated coastal areas with the riches of coastal colonization of the rest of the country they had things sewn up.

For me the biggest mystery is how Trump even became a candidate at all.

Surely the RNC is as cynically evil and clever as the DNC at rigging their Primary process? Perhaps the coalition of cabals pulling their strings told them Hillary was this election's anointed one, so none of it mattered since they'd already submarined Sanders?

While fanciful, it would explain a lot. Media control of the voters slipped, and a populist won despite the best efforts of both sides.

You don't want to know.

Trump is certain voter fraud happened because he cannot envision a world where he lost the popular vote. Just like he spent several days shrieking and whining and crying because he didn't have as many people at his inauguration as he wanted. Just like he lied in the lead-up to inauguration that "hotels were sold-out" when hotels were reporting they were "half-full". I've never seen a grown man pitch such a fit over winning.

It shows in that he's certain there was precisely about 3 million illegal voters, exactly as many as he might need to have won the popular vote. It's real specific, and doesn't line up with any estimates from any people who investigate voter fraud as their job. Finding 3 million illegal votes is the kind of thing that'd make a man famous forever, but Occam's Razor dictates it's more likely Hillary paid off all of the researchers. Because emails.

The people who get paid good money to find voter fraud found 4 cases. Three Trump voters, one Hillary. I don't mean that to imply Trump voters are more likely to commit fraud: 4 is such a small sample size there is nothing to deduce other than, "Voter fraud practically does not exist, and there is no reason to spend a dime on 'reform'."

Trump's own "voter fraud expert" is registered to vote in 3 states. I guess, in a way, that does make him an expert on voter fraud, right?

If I had to assume it was anything other than a giant baby crying he lost a popularity contest, I'd assume this is the groundwork for sweeping "voter reform". When his secret scientists who aren't allowed to tell anyone but Trump the results come to their conclusion, they're going to find that ALL the illegal votes were Muslims, Hispanics, Hispanic Muslims, and Alec Baldwin. This will be used to push hasty legislation designed to make it as hard as possible to vote if you can be proven Muslim or Hispanic or Alec Baldwin. It's all downhill from there, and I'll sidestep the hyperbole to cut to the chase:

Every last one of us is "poor" to Trump, and watch close how he treats the vulnerable. The only reason he's not treating us that way yet is when the vulnerable gather together in number they're strong enough to stand up. But once he chips away at their power, and four or five minorities can't vote, or have different rights, we're more vulnerable. It's not a functioning Democracy when you're cheering that people you don't agree with can't vote.

You can hoot and holler and posture and tell me I'm making stuff up, but so far he's kept enough of his "Oh, he doesn't mean that!" promises I don't think I can afford to ignore him. People spent 8 years fighting Obama (Trump spent 5 of them demanding documents he won't provide himself!). I'm going to spend at least four fighting Trump, save for any instances where I feel his policies actually help someone that isn't a direct contributor to him. So far, he's struck out every time.
    Last edited by dday9; Jun 14th, 2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Removed Profanity

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post

Trump's own "voter fraud expert" is registered to vote in 3 states. I guess, in a way, that does make him an expert on voter fraud, right?
    Not really, because that isn't illegal in many states. Voting in multiple states isn't legal, but being registered in multiple states is perfectly fine in several states, including at least two of the ones he was registered in (I don't know one way or the other about the third state).

This modern game of liars dice
    Played this time with federal ICE
    Sowing seeds of division and of fear
    Rejecting values we once held dear
    Seek to turn out backs on days of yore
    And snuff the lamp raised by golden door.

You don't want to know.

So Congress is moving to remove a law that requires oil companies to disclose payments to foreign governments. Meanwhile we're appointing an oil company CEO as secretary of state.

Something's gonna get drained, but it ain't no swamp.

BUT EMAILS

Anybody that is shocked about Trump and this tumultuous first two weeks, and voted for him, just didn't pay attention during the election. He is the same person...

So Congress is moving to remove a law that requires oil companies to disclose payments to foreign governments. Meanwhile we're appointing an oil company CEO as secretary of state.

Something's gonna get drained, but it ain't no swamp.

BUT EMAILS
    At this point, anything that democrats and the media are whining about is gonna be a good thing. When you are accused of everything under the sun you just end up ignoring the blathering, whether its an important message or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Anybody that is shocked about Trump and this tumultuous first two weeks, and voted for him, just didn't pay attention during the election. He is the same person...
    All too often I'm finding out, that people who did vote for him did so because of one position... ignoring the rest. I think people forgot - he's not a politician, he's not going to be playing the political games... he has no reason to break campaign promises like we usually expect politicians to do ...

-tg

Instead, President Trump blasted Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull over a refu*gee agreement and boasted about the magnitude of his electoral college win, according to senior U.S. officials briefed on the Saturday exchange. Then, 25 minutes into what was expected to be an hour-long call, Trump abruptly ended it.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.b565e317696c

The man is unfit for the office. In about two weeks and he has peed off Mexico and Australia. Put Iran on "notice"; whatever that means. And protests abound around the world against him for a myriad of reasons. Nice start huh?

Yeah, but in an interview about the call he said "don't worry"... so everything's fine.

Seriously, he'll probably get away with a lot of that sort of behaviour because most of the people he'll have to deal with will have to maintain an air of decency... but wait till he tries it on Putin.

What drives me crazy, and I'll just have to live with it, is he lies so much no one even pays attention to them anymore. We just are shocked and move on to the next one. That has just GOT to come back and haunt us down the line.

Just a quick example in the last 24 hours...he said "Do you believe it? The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia". We are talking about 1,250 refugees not "thousands". He does this constantly. Some day some type of action will be taken because of his outlandish lies and exaggerations that will harm a lot of people. And I don't just mean him winning the election

You don't want to know.

Honestly from what I understand, that Australia situation is a pretty bad deal and had he been a smarter man he could've articulated it in much better way.

(Interjection: the excuse is he was "fatigued after a long day", contrast that with his claims "Hillary won't have the stamina to be President.")

My understanding is Australia built this weird offshore jail for refugees they pick up from boats. The hope was they could curb the problem of "overcrowded refugee boats sink, killing lots of people" by making it clear "arriving by boat will not get you into Australia." Problem: maintaining a jail's expensive, and there's questions as to whether doing so violates some form of international treaty. So if I understand it, the deal in question was a sort of weird way for us to alleviate pressure on their dubious jail while also scoring Obama some points in the "accepting refugees" field.

That whole thing's kind of shady, and the real story deserves to be told. If Australia's ashamed of their actions, they need to own up and move on. I don't mind the US helping them with it, but I do mind them expecting us to be complicit with a thing they aren't sure about.

I don't like Trump, and I think he could've handled this with more tact, but this deal does stink. It was made by Obama, and I don't really expect Trump to honor it unless his hand is forced. I just wish I felt Trump was refusing it for the right reasons, "You're not being noble at all and want us to help you hide it" vs. "herp derp immigrants, gotta go watch CNN bye".

Honestly from what I understand, that Australia situation is a pretty bad deal and had he been a smarter man he could've articulated it in much better way.

(Interjection: the excuse is he was "fatigued after a long day", contrast that with his claims "Hillary won't have the stamina to be President.")

My understanding is Australia built this weird offshore jail for refugees they pick up from boats. The hope was they could curb the problem of "overcrowded refugee boats sink, killing lots of people" by making it clear "arriving by boat will not get you into Australia." Problem: maintaining a jail's expensive, and there's questions as to whether doing so violates some form of international treaty. So if I understand it, the deal in question was a sort of weird way for us to alleviate pressure on their dubious jail while also scoring Obama some points in the "accepting refugees" field.

That whole thing's kind of shady, and the real story deserves to be told. If Australia's ashamed of their actions, they need to own up and move on. I don't mind the US helping them with it, but I do mind them expecting us to be complicit with a thing they aren't sure about.

I don't like Trump, and I think he could've handled this with more tact, but this deal does stink. It was made by Obama, and I don't really expect Trump to honor it unless his hand is forced. I just wish I felt Trump was refusing it for the right reasons, "You're not being noble at all and want us to help you hide it" vs. "herp derp immigrants, gotta go watch CNN bye".
    I believe traditionally the US President honors the agreements made by his predecessor. That seems to be the point to me.

PowerPoster

All of the reporting I heard on this from non-U.S. sources indicates that these "refugees" are indeed illegal immigrants to Australia that Australia rounded up and has been keeping offshore in detention camps.

Obama had agreed to take them for some reason, and Trump was told that it was a "done deal." His response was "Dumb deal!" but considering the reality one can hardly blame him.

I've heard nothing to suggest that he'd back out though unless he found reasonable grounds to do so.

So in the end the butt-hurt establishment Ds and Rs and the corporate media in the U.S. who answer to the same masters are just spinning it into yet another example of "fake news" instead of reporting the actual news.
    Last edited by dilettante; Feb 2nd, 2017 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    All of the reporting I heard on this from non-U.S. sources indicates that these "refugees" are indeed illegal immigrants to Australia that Australia rounded up and has been keeping offshore in detention camps.

Obama had agreed to take them for some reason, and Trump was told that it was a "done deal." His response was "Dumb deal!" but considering the reality one can hardly blame him.

I've heard nothing to suggest that he'd back out though unless he found reasonable grounds to do so.

So in the end the butt-hurt establishment Ds and Rs and the corporate media in the U.S. who answer to the same masters are just spinning it into yet another example of "fake news" instead of reporting the actual news.
    It is hardly fake news when the leaders of two strong allies argue and one hangs up on the other...the one being that child Trump.

And of all this is cumulative. Taken one at a time I can see saying "big deal, get over it". But it is more like; Grand Pa did something silly, oh he is just old. After doing silly things for a while they put Grand Pa in a home. Trump has been in office for a couple of weeks and already has a litany of lies and all the turmoil he is creating AROUND THE WORLD.

PowerPoster

He didn't "hang up" on Turnbull, who even stated exactly that in interviews with the BBC.

Trump is far from an ideal President, but bobbleheading fake news talking points just discredits everything you say. Go after him on substance, he's done quite a number of questionable things that have actually happened. Some so bizarre as to defy explanation like the DeVos nomination as Education Secretary.

Some of these are so weird they almost have to be ploys. Maybe he put up DeVos in order to have her shot down. That gets him points with the hard-core weirdies in the Republican party, lets the establishment Ds and Rs have a win by tossing her out, and who can say? Maybe he'll put up somebody reasonable and even progressive and have that one slide through as the establishment drones all go for pizza and hot dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    He didn't "hang up" on Turnbull, who even stated exactly that in interviews with the BBC.

Trump is far from an ideal President, but bobbleheading fake news talking points just discredits everything you say. Go after him on substance, he's done quite a number of questionable things that have actually happened. Some so bizarre as to defy explanation like the DeVos nomination as Education Secretary.

Some of these are so weird they almost have to be ploys. Maybe he put up DeVos in order to have her shot down. That gets him points with the hard-core weirdies in the Republican party, lets the establishment Ds and Rs have a win by tossing her out, and who can say? Maybe he'll put up somebody reasonable and even progressive and have that one slide through as the establishment drones all go for pizza and hot dogs.
    For all practicable purposes he did hang up...

Some of these are so weird they almost have to be ploys.
    No...he is unfit to be President.

You don't want to know.

Honestly I hate "news at social media speed".

When we had newspapers, I could pick up the damn thing once a day and get a decent summary of what was going on. If there were sides to an issue I'd see them both and choose for myself where in the middle I felt the truth fell.

The 24-hour news cycle that CNN brought us is problematic, as it places emphasis on "reporting anything" as opposed to "waiting to have a decent opinion". That often means filling dead time with "experts", usually with dubious credentials. My feelings on "experts" could fill a whole different thread, but suffice to say it often turns out the true experts are where things are happening because they're too busy trying to find the truth to sit in a studio and speculate.

The ad-supported internet news cycle somehow found a way to make that WORSE. It can't rely on Burger King giving it a 24/7 ratings boost via thousands of TVs tuned in. It has to get you to either share or click on a link to make a dime. How's it do that? Emotionally-gripping headlines designed to make you very angry.

I want to be angry because something happened, not because some knee-jerk read of a situation doesn't tell the whole story. I'm tired of "anonymous staffer says..." headlines, because both sides have tossed those out and had them confirmed false. If I'm to believe there's a propaganda war happening, I can't trust either side's 'anonymous sources' 100%.

That said, there's a lot of information going around that would sure be irrelevant if Trump would release some documents proving them false. Sort of like how he spent 5 years harassing Obama to do so. The worst way to end a conspiracy theory is to insist it's false while hiding all information related to it.

I wonder what it pays to be an expert? I'd be willing to Harrumph for the right amount of money. I'd even be willing to wear suspenders. I've already got the beard, so that part is in the bag.

What Australia is doing is pretty nasty. They're locking people up without any options. They can't go forwards and they can't go backwards. All they can do is sit and hope something changes. However, that's Australia's problem, and they need to deal with it. We agreed to take some. I don't know why, though there was certainly some reason, even if it was some personal sense of responsibility not shared beyond Obama. Whatever it was, I don't know what it was. Still, if we said we'd do it, I'd say that we should do it. Whether we were right to say we would do it is a different matter.

I envision discussions around the Oval Office going something like this:

-tg

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast