Thread: form moden design ?

form moden design ?

im finding it hard to find tutorials on making forms look nice and moden my aim atm it building a web browser but would like to try and get it looking alittle like firebox maybe or google chrome somthing like that any links would be great

PowerPoster

Re: form moden design ?

Well.. my opinion is that if you want to make it look more modern you should probably use a more modern language.

While it is possible to change the appearance of forms and controls in VB6 it can be a lot of work where as in some of the more modern languages it is simple.

gibra

PowerPoster

Modern GUI-designs have nothing at all to do with "language" ...
    (so VB6 has no disadvantage in that area, as DataMiser was trying to suggest).

The link gibra gave you, points to a powerful set of Controls, encapsulated in a set of libraries (OCXes).
    (though - whilst the codejock-suite is nice and unicode-capable, it is "pay-ware"...).

Free for every VB6-user is another modern library, which encapsulates (beside other things)
    a Vector-based rendering-engine, which allows you to come up with more "HTML-like freedom",
    whilst designing Controls and Widgets on your Forms like in this ScreenShot:

Here's a link to the Demo which produced the above output:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ow-Positioning

Here another one (codewise smaller than the above), which addresses DPI-aware rendering:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...Widgets-based)

And another Demo, which combines a modern and superfast DB-Engine (SQLite) with the above Widgets
    (more in "Standard-Greys-and-Whites"-look)
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ent-Framework)

Olaf

PowerPoster

(so VB6 has no disadvantage in that area, as DataMiser was trying to suggest).
    Trying to suggest?

Merely stating a fact. Sure you can get add ons or you can even create your own if you like but the core interface elements of VB6 are dated compared to newer offerings.

The Idiot

for me, vb6 is a language that i like, the form look or the controls are not really why im still using it. nowadays, if im "serious" about a project, i go all api/custom stuff. usually its just a "empty" form and i insert the stuff i want.

so i agree with Olaf here.
    we can find tons of samples to make custom stuff. so, even if we are quite newbie about it, its not that we cant find samples!

we are not here to get a free program, we are here to learn.
    for each program you make, you should also learn new tricks and how to use API's. eventually you know enough and have a nice library of projects that it takes just a couple of hours to make a new custom form.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Trying to suggest?

Merely stating a fact.
    Please do proper citations... ripping a part of my reply out of context will help nobody.
    Again, you wrote:
    "...if you want to make it look more modern you should probably use a more modern language..."

And that's not "a fact" - that's just plain wrong.

The "look" of an application is determined by the GUI-framework this application is using.
    Such GUI-frameworks are (due to their complexity) in almost all cases never a direct
    part of the programming-language itself.
    Instead they sit in (quite large) Class-libraries these days.

And VB6 *can* use such Class-libraries - since it has built-in COM-support (ActiveX-Dlls and OCXes).

So, if the little Class-library which is contained in the VB6-runtime (sporting just a few
    "intrinsic Base-Controls") does look "too outdated", there's a whole lot of alternatives
    out there to use (from the large universe of COM-libs - as e.g. the CodeJock-suite, or Krools CCRP-project -
    or also the RichClient-stuff - all these are COM-libs which simply need to be "checked in" -
    and off you go with "modern GUI-stuff" in VB6).

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Sure you can get add ons or you can even create your own if you like but the core interface elements of VB6 are dated compared to newer offerings.
    If with "core interface elements" you mean the VB6 intrinsic controls, these are surely outdated.
    But where's the problem? ... As already said above - VB6 (at its Core) is still a very powerful COM-wiring-tool -
    and there's a lot of modern COM-libs for nice GUI-development out there.

Aside from that, what especially the RichClient-lib has to offer GUI-wise, is pretty hard to duplicate with
    the currently existing .NET GUI-libs or -classes.

Meaning, you will have a *very* hard time to accomplish something "browser-like" in the same
    quality (like shown in the ScreenShot further above) with Winforms or WPF - it's doable -
    but you will need a whole lot more code than what was used in the VB6-example I've linked to.

If you think otherwise, I'd surely like to see the attempt you made in .NET (with regards to duplicating what was shown).

Olaf