Thread: Is there a 7ocalypse coming soon?

PowerPoster

Is there a 7ocalypse coming soon?

Microsoft: Windows 7 in 2017 is so outdated that patches can't keep it secure

True or not, these statements from Redmond might drive your employers and customers off Windows 7 sooner than developers are prepared for. Time to "get busy living, or get busy dying" maybe?

Scare tactics? Maybe. But that's cold comfort if you get the word to develop for Windows 10 tomorrow and you've been whistling in the dark hoping Windows 7 was still good enough for several more years. Windows 10 is over two years old already.

Re: Is there a 7ocalypse coming soon?

Funny how time flies.

It seems like an attempt by MS to push people along. Whether it will work is a different matter. After all, there are plenty of XP boxes out there, still. However, where I work tends to be late adopters, yet we moved to Win10 fairly quickly, and with no pain that I have detected, so a push by MS may work.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Only time will tell. I doubt even most larger organizations will get "the word" from Microsoft directly, at least not at levels where action would need to take place. Little guys will probably remain blissfully unaware that they don't really even have the next three years to snooze.

Even if this "push" reaches them, most box jockeys fear change far more than software developers do. They might have to come in off their all-day loading dock smoke breaks to learn something and then follow through.

You don't want to know.

Wow, I feel like it's only been recently that people who had clung to XP started settling on 7. I'm pretty sure I read a bunch of .NET versions, up to 4.5.something are getting dropped, too.

I keep thinking, at some point, they're going to pick some version of Windows and .NET and package it as a "stable enterprise" version that they promise not to touch. Sell it like a mainframe OS. That feels like one of the best possible solutions for enterprise. I guess we've got some bumpy years ahead while people adjust (if they adjust.)

PowerPoster

Windows 10 already seems to have two major updates on the near horizon. Just like the last two big ones these seem as large as XP SP2 was, which itself was originally supposed to be released as a new version of Windows instead of a Service Pack. But since marketing policy prevents new version numbers they'll still be "Windows 10." You just can't hold these off forever like you could before.

Yeah. I didn't hear that it was two, but they have been planning a big one for March since sometime last summer. That's about as big as an OS release. Kind of a strange strategy, but I'm not seeing anything particularly wrong with it, thus far.

PowerPoster

Well Redstone 1 ("Anniversary" 1607) did burn some people, though program UI fixes made for RS1 should also work on older Threshold machines without incident.

Redstone 2 is the one coming in March.

But this sounds like the next big one after that:

Microsoft's new adaptive shell will help Windows 10 scale across PC, Mobile, and Xbox

The new adaptive shell, also known as “Composable Shell” or “CSHELL” would be like a more advanced version, with a single shell that displays the appropriate environment for your device type, whether it be an Xbox, HoloLens, phone, tablet, or PC.

PowerPoster

I'm not sure whether Redstone 2 is the "Creators Update" version of Windows 10.

Also:

Reminder: Microsoft to no longer update original Windows 10 release after March 26

The first release of Windows 10, known as 1507, is the version that Microsoft will no longer update after March 26, 2017. The other two versions of the product in market -- the November update (1511) from November 2015, and the Anniversary Update (1607) -- will continue to get regular security and feature fixes and updates.

The 1507 release won't just stop working, but it won't get updates of any kind after March 26. This is all part of Microsoft's grand Windows as a Service plan. No updates is one way of getting users to move to a more recent release.

PowerPoster

More giggles:

Microsoft warns Windows 7 is dangerously insecure in 2017

Microsoft is begging you to ditch Windows 7 for Windows 10

But these just report the same scare in my first post above.

That kind of confirms my suspicion: The main goal is to get everybody to move to Win10. Win7 is what it has always been, and will continue to get, at least security, updates for a few more years. After that....well, it becomes legacy, like so many other things. It won't stop working, and people can do what they want. What is clear is what MS wants people to do.

Scare tactics are kind of a new things, though.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

It's probably 80% hype but 20% reality. If you cling to an OS beyond the point where security updates are released you're asking for trouble. You'll probably be fine for years (I know folks who are quite happily running uninfected XP boxes to this day)... but only probably.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

The argument (true or not) seems to be that even with patches Windows 7 is not secure. There seem to be some vague wording about new exploits that can only be protected against through architectural changes.

For all I know this might be suggesting that the only secure PC is one that never installs 3rd party applications except those acquired via the Windows Store.

If so the issue is probably less about pushing Windows 10 than it is an attempt to save the failed Store.

Frenzied Member