Thread: [RESOLVED] excel 2000 worsheet macro

Resolved [RESOLVED] excel 2000 worsheet macro

If someone can give me a nudge and then point me to the way to this solve this task-

I have a range on numbers in a worksheet whose starting row will change as more data is added; The range might also change in size but always 6 columns contiguously (I.E. B3;G8)

I have another range single row (6 columns wide) and starting row will change as more data is added (I.E B10;G10)

Now I want to test the larger range against the smaller range for equal values and then upon a true condition - change the background color of that individual cell in that larger range

I know it can be done with a macro inside the workbook and that's fine with me as this is a local task.
    Last edited by habenero; Jan 4th, 2017 at 10:51 AM. Reason: clarity

Re: excel 2000 worsheet macro

Quote Originally Posted by habenero View Post
    If someone can give me a nudge and then point me to the way to this solve this task-
    We can try...

I have a range on numbers in a worksheet whose starting row will change as more data is added; The range might also change in size but always 6 columns contiguously (I.E. B3;G8)

I have another range single row (6 columns wide) and starting row will change as more data is added (I.E B10;G10)
    um? Why would your starting row change?

Now I want to test the larger range against the smaller range for equal values and then upon a true condition - change the background color of that individual cell in that larger range
    Comparing what?
    - each cell in its corresponding column?
    - each value in the smaller exists somewhere in the larger?
    - that each combination of 6 cells has the same numbers...?

Do you mean two separate ranges on the same sheet with the same columns?

Have a look at Vlookup (excel function) to see if that does what you need.
    If not, then you'll need to post your code and which bits don't work right - perhaps a pseudo code of what you want and your code that you tried...?

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

Quote Originally Posted by Ecniv View Post
    We can try...

um? Why would your starting row change?

I can be flexible and put that data in separate sheets instead of the same worksheet. Every day those numbers change and new data is added but I can put new data on a new worksheet

Comparing what?
    - each cell in its corresponding column? numbers would never be the same in either range

- each value in the smaller exists somewhere in the larger? that's the conditional part of the code - I can record a macro and go from there but I'm doing the conditional test

- that each combination of 6 cells has the same numbers...? no

Comparing cell "contents" in other words does Cell x = cell y

I stink at making looping programs and I know I would need one here to go through the 6 cell range versus the larger range

Do you mean two separate ranges on the same sheet with the same columns?
    yes - if I use the same wksht

Have a look at Vlookup (excel function) to see if that does what you need.

If not, then you'll need to post your code and which bits don't work right - perhaps a pseudo code of what you want and your code that you tried...?
    Will lookup the Vlookup function and see what that does for me

To further explain - this has to do with lottery numbers - my own vs what are the "winning" numbers. The larger range are my numbers and then in the 6 column range are the "winning numbers". Then I want to conditionally color the background of those matching cells in the larger range with the drawn/winning numbers

PowerPoster

whose starting row will change
    how can the starting row be determined?
    The range might also change in size
    how to determine the number of rows?
    and starting row will change
    same question, criteria to match this row?

maybe post a sample workbook, zip first
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

will stick my foot in the water and give you some real bad code (to come 1/2 way)
    Presently bone-ing up on the Vlookup function

It would be comparing a larger range (6 columns wide - all different values) starting row can be fixed if I use multiple worksheets

Comparing this range (individually) with values of a range (also 6 columns wide (1 row only)

If the values match then a cell background color is used like in a keno machine

I've searched all over this site as this kind of routine cannot be that unique or rare. In a way I would be comparing values of an array with a smaller array in excel

will stick my foot in the water and give you some real bad code (to come 1/2 way)
    Presently bone-ing up on the Vlookup function

It would be comparing a larger range (6 columns wide - all different values) starting row can be fixed if I use multiple worksheets

Comparing this range (individually) with values of a range (also 6 columns wide (1 row only)

If the values match then a cell background color is used like in a keno machine

I've searched all over this site as this kind of routine cannot be that unique or rare. In a way I would be comparing values of an array with a smaller array in excel
    I'm going to go in the way of conditional formatting

Thanks to all for your help

I'm going to go in the way of conditional formatting

Thanks to all for your help
    For all that care - this suits me fine

Sub Color_tester()
    Set myRange = Range("A3:F8")
    For Each cell In myRange
    If cell.Value = Range("A10") Then
    cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 4