Thread: ActiveX Exe Throwing Type Mismatch 13 Error

ActiveX Exe Throwing Type Mismatch 13 Error

Greetings,

I have an ActiveX exe component that is getting called by a stand alone exe, both were developed in VB 6.0. The component is throwing a "type mismatch" 13 error.

Here is an excerpt of the code where the ActiveX exe is being declared and instantiated in the program:

Code:

Const errSUMMARY = 9310

Dim Msg_Summary As CDBSReport  '<-- implements CDBSReport
    	Dim Report_Settings As CDBSReports.rptSummary
    	Dim First_Page As Integer                           

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

First_Page = Page_Number

'Determine the size of the margins for the current page
        With Word_Document.Sections(Word_Document.Sections.Count).PageSetup
            Top_Margin = IIf(.Orientation = wdOrientPortrait, .TopMargin, .RightMargin)
            Bottom_Margin = IIf(.Orientation = wdOrientPortrait, .BottomMargin, .LeftMargin)
        End With

Set Msg_Summary = New CDBSReports.rptSummary  '<--- error occurs here, rptSummary implements CDBSReport

When the class gets instantiated, it throws a "type mismatch 13" error. Setting a breakpoint in the component class, I can see it run the initialization method without any errors. Then, it goes right into the terminate method. No errors appear to be thrown in the component. I can't see where the problem is. There are many classes in this ActiveX compoment that implement CDBSReport, and they all throw the same mismatch error when called.

This code has worked for a long time, and none of the class names or method names have changed. I recently made a change to one of the dlls that this component and the stand alone uses. One of the parameters in a particular method was changed from an integer datatype to a long datatype. I have ensured that the correct datatypes are being passed in. I have spent many hours recompiling everything and still this error occurs. We are running this in a Windows 2008 R2 environment.

What could be wrong here? How do I debug this?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Freedom123; May 16th, 2017 at 05:14 AM. Reason: for clarity

gibra

Re: ActiveX Exe Throwing Type Mismatch 13 Error

Your code is wrong, because you had first declared Msg_Summary as CDBSReport, while:
    a - Msg_Summary isn't a CDBSReport.rptSummary object.
    b - Msg_Summary IS a CDBSReport object.

Hi Gibra, actually, the class rptSummary implements CDBSReport. So I believe the code is good. I should have been more clear about that.
    Thanks.

I thought I would get more coverage that way. Do I need to delete one of them?

But the rptSummary isn't in the CDBSReport is it?

Actually... maybe the question I should be asking is this: are you sure you have that right? Use of the word "Implements" has a very specific meaning. What I hear you saying is that CDBSReport is an Interface that rptSummary then Implements.
    Like so:
    Code:
    Interface ICar

Public Sub StartEngine()
    Public Sub StopEngine()
    Public Function SoundHorn() as Boolean

End Interface
    THAT is an example of an Interface.

That interface is then implemented:
    Code:
    Public Class MyCar 
    Implements ICar

Public sub StartEngine() Implements ICar.StartEngine
    'Code goes here
    End Sub

Public Sub StopEngine() Implement ICar.StopEngine
    'Code here
    End Sub 

Public Function SoundHorn() as Boolean Implements ICar.SoundHorn
    'And more code here
    End Function

End Class
    So, is that really the case you have here? Something tells me that's not the case.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

No... it just needs to be reported to the admins... which has now been done... Besides us mere mortals can't delete threads. Not even the demi-god moderators can... and the Admins tend to not want to delete things for historical reasons. Odds are they'll be merged into one thread.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Look at your two Dim statements then the set statement where your error occurs the problem seems pretty obvious

... and none of the class names or method names have changed... One of the parameters in a particular method was changed from an integer datatype to a long datatype.
    Changing parameters can break binary compatibility which may have been done? If this is the case, never change the signature of a function when binary compatibility matters. Kinda do what others do: create a new function with Ex or incremental ordinal, i.e., GetOSVersionEx, NewWindow2, etc
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Greetings, thank you for the replies. The rptSummary class implements the CDBSReport class. The public properties in the CDBSReport class are implemented in the rptSummary class. In the rptSummary class we have:

Implements CDBSReport

This code has not been changed and has worked before.

LaVolpe, I have wondered if this might be part of the problem because I did change the signature on a function in a component that is used by CDBSReport. But I did recompile everything... shouldn't that take care of it? Maybe I didn't do in the right order. Are there some guidelines for compiling components, such as what the correct compiling order should be and what the settings should be?
    Thank you

Not sure exactly how your components were recompiled. If ComponentXYZ was recompiled after changing its parameter from Integer to Long, then ComponentABC that references ComponentXYZ would need to remove the old reference and add the new reference (VB Project References). It might be as simple as that? It does sound like this could be the reason for your mismatch: passing Long to previously registered reference that is still using Integer?

Edited: Maybe breaking binary compatibility isn't the problem as I'd imagine a different error that "type mistmatch". And when recompiling stuff, if you didn't get any warnings from VB about breaking compatibility, especially after changing a public method's parameter, I'm guessing binary compatibility wasn't in play? Here's a short how-to regarding binary compatibility but doesn't discuss complex, multi-component projects.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; May 16th, 2017 at 09:13 AM.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Yes, that sounds like the situation. I didn't change the name of the component after I recompiled it, and I didn't change reference. Do I need to explicitly remove the old reference then add it back in?

I modified my previous reply while you were adding your last one.

I'd try that first, but is it possible you have multiple versions now, same name? Should the previous one have been unregistered before the new was compiled? Hopefully this isn't a start into DLL-hell for you.

Thank you LaVolpe. I suspect we may have multiple versions going on. Now I have some things to try. Thank you for the guidance. I'll post the results when we get there.

You do get more coverage from multiple threads in different forum, but as a policy, we don't like that so much, as it tends to end in confusion, as answers in one thread may or may not match with answers in different threads. Therefore, we merge, close, or delete duplicate threads. Mods can delete threads and individual posts. At one point, any user could do the same, which resulted in the demise of a very interesting thread when the original poster deleted the original post....which deleted the whole thread. It wasn't a good thread, so I understand their actions, but it sure was interesting.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

OK, thank you for the information. I will keep that in mind for the future.

Look at your two Dim statements then the set statement where your error occurs the problem seems pretty obvious

Does it? Maybe you could elaborate.

PowerPoster

Looks like he simply copied and pasted my post from earlier

Your dim statement shows
    Code:
    Dim Msg_Summary As CDBSReport
    but then your set statement shows something else
    Code:
    Set Msg_Summary = New CDBSReports.rptSummary
    apparently those are two different types hence the type mismatch

Meanwhile you have
    Code:
    Dim Report_Settings As CDBSReports.rptSummary
    So I would guess that if that set line were to read
    Code:
    Set Report_Settings = New CDBSReports.rptSummary
    or
    Code:
    Set Msg_Summary = New CDBSReport
    Then there would not be a type mismatch thrown

Greetings, thank you for the reply. CDBSReports.rptSummary implements CDBSReport. CDBSReports is an ActiveX out-of-process server and the class rptSummary implements CDBSReport.

I just discovered the problem. It was because the class id's got messed up in the registry. I totally cleaned out the registry of everything related to this project and then recompiled everything, that did the trick. LaVolpe was definitely on the right track. I appreciate everyone's responses.

Thanks