Thread: [RESOLVED] Do I need a Licensed edition

Resolved [RESOLVED] Do I need a Licensed edition

I am a newbe to Visual Basic. I have downloaded a VB6 Enterprise edition on my computer and am trying to write programs to use the serial port output using MSComm.OCX. I receive this error message:

"License information for this component not found. You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality in the design environment."

Some people on this forum have stated that I need the Professional edition. I was wondering if anyone of you experienced programmers could tell me if I could use cheaper alternatives like VB5 Professional. Also I noticed a cheaper VB6 Professional version being sold on Ebay that does not come with a license. Does not require a product key and was used in a test lab environment. Could I use this?

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Do I need a Licensed edition

VB6 is not free.

Whatever you downloaded was probably pirated software unless you got it via a paid MSDN Subscription.

Many of the things for sale on eBay are dubious. No legit VB6 package is usable without a product key. Often people pay for these and get something that isn't legal to be sold (the VB/VS 6.0 EULA spells out the only way to legally transfer these products).

"Used in a test lab" sounds dubious already. These products are licensed to individual developers, not to companies or organizations. Every user must have his own licensed copy, they cannot legally be shared.

VB5 has it own issues, chief of which is that it has not been supported for use at all for over a decade now. But in terms of licensing it has very similar (nearly identical) license terms.

So at this late date in the life of these products if you don't already have a legit copy to use you should consider alternatives. Quite a few members here managed to get by somehow using various versions and editions of VB.Net for example. Many of those are legally free to use within reasonable limitations.

There are similar 3rd party products too. For example B4J is free and the language syntax is sort of somewhere between VB and VB.Net. It can create programs that run on Mac OS X or some Linux distributions as well as on Windows.