Thread: Interactively debugging a SQL Server Stored Procedure?

PowerPoster

Interactively debugging a SQL Server Stored Procedure?

Is it possible to debug a SP while debugging a VB.Net/C# app? While I'm debugging my Windows app (using VB.Net), there is a point where it calls a Stored Procedure. The moment I step into the statement that executes the SP, I would like to be able to enter the SP through SSMS and step through the SP. Is this possible?

Thanks,
    Blake

Frenzied Member

Re: Interactively debugging a SQL Server Stored Procedure?

I don't think so. Seems someone made a complaint about debugging SPs in the recent stored procedure thread as a reason not to use them.

Anyway, I test SPs using standard database tools. So SQL Plus or SQL Developer for Oracle. Call the procedure with the same parameters your program did and see what the output is. There is likely a better way, but that always worked for me if it didn't appear to be working as I expected.

Yes there is a great MS SQL Server debugger, depending on the release you are on, that has many of the same capabilities of the IDE debugger (break points, reset variables, hover and view, etc.) It runs from Visual Studio or Enterprise Manager. A google search should get you moving in the right direction.

The down side is you need system administrator access and many DBAs will not grant that kind of access.

Google this:

visual studio sql server debugger
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Thanks Tyson...that helped!

Now all I have to do is convince our IT Director to give me privileges...HAHA
    Blake