Thread: Discord Server

Discord Server

I have recently discovered the world of Reddit and Discord chat. Seems like a lot of "subreddits" have a paired Discord Server for instant chatting. https://discordapp.com/

I think this would be a neat alternative for Chit-Chat for VBF. Discord servers have both instant message chatrooms and voice channels which is pretty nice. Its all hosted on the Discord system, so nothing needs to be installed anywhere, other than client side if anyone wants it (it is fully web based as well).

I figured it would be best to suggest it here to see if we can make it an official VBF Discord vs going rogue. I have experience setting up Discord servers as well as administering them, if it came to it.

What do you all think?
    My usual boring signature: Something

Re: Discord Server

Let's hold off on even discussing anything like this until we get VBForums migrated to vBulletin 5#. Once we get to the updated version we can see what makes sense. As a note, we are testing the new version now and working out the templates for one of our first forums to migrate after the holiday. VBForums will be pretty quick after that. (( This upgrade is not as fast and easy as past because the back-end has changes to make it fit a more responsive design. ))

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ah didn't know there was an upgrade coming. I look forward to that.

Not knowing how fast things will move, I didn't want to get anyone too excited too early

The other thing to consider is that live chatting is a different type of functionality than what forums offer. With a world-wide audience, live chatting can be a bit tougher to have happen in an effective way. We've done a bit with live chats already and are looking to increase that in 2017.

I would love a live chatting feature for VBF (which is obviously why I recommended it ). Forums aren't great for pickup conversations here and there in downtime. Or at least its not as efficient.

I won't hold my breath for the upgrade but I look forward.

I have my reservations about a chat area in a place like this ... here's what I see happening... someone drops in to get some "quick" help ... and either 1) massive discussion takes place which then makes it difficult for anyone to join in, or 2) an answer is quickly included, and then the whole thing falls off and is lost. then again, it's not something I'm likely to use in the first place.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I agree. I can see that happening as well. I just think it would be a nice place for regulars to drop in for quick discussions. Forum style conversation is hard for live chatting since you have to refresh to see replies, you are waiting longer, etc.

the issue is getting forum members to arrive at the same time. The members on this forum are world-wide and even the three hours between east and west coasts of the US make connecting hard at times.

That is why I see a benefit in an always-on chat service. Business as usual on VBF but if you wanna chit chat, go to the chat service and chat with who ever else happens to be on at the same time.

I do not see any benefit in scheduled chat times.

I am sooooo excited to see a modern design on here!! I love the classic look, but a upgrade is def. needed
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc20181 View Post
    I am sooooo excited to see a modern design on here!! I love the classic look, but a upgrade is def. needed
    Overall, the look won't change a lot, but its ability to be responsive (design), will greatly improve.

You don't want to know.

The biggest benefit for a community I've seen from a Discord server tends to be hard to grasp. The same was true 10 years ago when we called it "an IRC channel".

My experience is while people do and will go there to ask technical questions, the nature of answering those questions will inspire most people to reply with "Go make a post in the forums and we'll answer". Meanwhile most chat revolves around the kind of thing we usually see in the chit-chat forum.

That sounds terrible, from a "brand" perspective. But it's actually really good. When people can talk about off-topic stupid things they agree about, like Pokémon or Die Hard or Bob Dylan, they start to form bonds of friendship that don't form when they're sticking to only interacting through answering "the right way to validate a cell in a DataGridView" for the 50,000th time. That tends to make them stick around the community longer, because they have some reason to linger even when they're not in the mood to talk about VB.

It can go wrong if the community is dominated by people who prefer unfriendly discourse. And I think a lot of ad-driven places don't like it because you can't monetize visits to the Discord server. The server pays for itself by "building a stronger community", but good luck getting that in an AdSense report.

A "CHAT" Plugin for vBulletin would make a lot more sense unless there is one for Discord.

I voted that dclamp do the homework

Make sure it has an OPT OUT option

Getting interrupted at the office in the middle of a large task by my developers in India via skype is bad enough... Having a ton of people wanting chat me on a forum would drive me to drink. (drink more than I already do)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    A "CHAT" Plugin for vBulletin would make a lot more sense unless there is one for Discord.

I voted that dclamp do the homework

Make sure it has an OPT OUT option

Getting interrupted at the office in the middle of a large task by my developers in India via skype is bad enough... Having a ton of people wanting chat me on a forum would drive me to drink. (drink more than I already do)
    I agree, having it built into the website would be more advantageous than starting up an outside service. I think it would lead to more activity in the "chatroom" without drawing traffic away from the website.

Let's table this discussion until we get upgraded to 5.x. Once that is done, pester me about whether a chat add-in is available.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------