Thread: MS QBasic in high school...too old, now python basic ?

MS QBasic in high school...too old, now python basic ?

Since 2000, I have given a high school presentation called, The Value of An Education.
    During this four day event I spend two days on programming using 1986 MS QBASIC. Why? No GUI and I have twenty minutes before the students are lost and looking out the window.
    Guess a number between 1-100, is less than 8 lines of code...no GUI
    Calculate interest on saving account is 14 lines

*** CMD/ Qbasic no longer runs on win 7,8,or 10...

Python basic ?

Please add your ideas
    Thanks

Sinecure devotee

Re: MS QBasic in high school...too old, now python basic ?

Is this a machine you carry around with you?
    You could install XP in a virtual machine to still have access to Qbasic on newer machines.

You could try using QB64, but you won't have the ability to step through the code since it has to be compiled to an executable and run.

Python can be pretty interesting, but it is not BASIC, so has some peculiarities compared to the syntax you're familiar with.

What part of no GUI do you find appealing, the development process or the running process.
    Since VB.Net supports Console based projects, you run "non-GUI" code in a console window, although you generally still develop with a GUI based IDE.

I haven't tried running qbasic in a DOSBox window, so when I get home maybe I'll give that a try to see if that can be done, as an option.

There are probably some other BASIC interpreters that people have put together, but I haven't looked.

I spend two days on programming using 1986 MS QBASIC. Why? No GUI and I have twenty minutes before the students are lost and looking out the window.
    Perhaps it's the cynic in me, but maybe the first statement is the reason for the last one...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

One possibility is to buy an ESP8266 NodeMCU device for $5 to $10.

You can plug that into a USB port or even a USB "power bank" and program it using any device with WiFi and a web browser.

Or better yet, go get ESP8266 Basic and re-flash the device with that firmware. Then instead of LUA you can program it in Basic. ESP8266 Basic now has extra files you can install to add code colorization to its web editor console too. That might end up installed natively soon but for now it is optional.

Whether you go with LUA or Basic, you can create simple demo programs easily. You can ignore the GPIO pins or stick the device into a breadboard and do little IoT things as part of your demo. Blinks some LEDs, scan through colors on an RGB LED, move a servo motor, drive a small OLED display, etc. Even make a little robot car you can drive from a web browser UI. The list goes on and on.

But just to show a little Basic programming no real hardware knowledge is needed. Just get the NodeMCU breakout board and a USB to MicroUSB cable. Use a PC to flash Basic onto it. After that you can use a PC, Mac, Tablet, Phone, HDMI Android stick, etc. to do your programming demos.

Or if the IoT stuff leaves you cold just install RFO BASIC! on an Android device.

PowerPoster

You could also consider this:

QuickVB

Though if they were honest it would be called "QuickVB.Net" since it is .Net bound and uses .Net syntax and libraries. But Microsoft hasn't been honest for almost 16 years now.

You could also consider this:

Microsoft Small Basic

Sinecure devotee

Yes, but I assume that wasn't mentioned before because of the OP's original stated desire that he wanted a non-GUI BASIC, like QBasic.

I know but a "terminal/DOS" style UI is also a GUI.
    It's up to the TS what the needs really are and when things become to distracting.

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    I know but a "terminal/DOS" style UI is also a GUI. ...
    I suppose it is moot.
    I don't consider a terminal interface becomes a GUI interface just because it is emulated on a GUI.

Of course most DOS machines since the CGA was available supported graphics, so a graphical user interface could be created if desired, and I did write one or two back in the late 80s, early 90s until Windows 3.0 came out. Once Windows 3.1 and VB1 came out, I switch to that fairly quickly and didn't look back (much).

I think you're right. We probably should point out interesting alternatives for consideration.

Frenzied Member

Using M2000 (programming like basic, freeware, open source)
    you can use full screen (in any text mode, any combination from 10 char width, and 2 rows height), a like terminal output (also has split screen, so the upper part can stay while the lower part can scroll - without saving the dropped area)

Last edited by georgekar; Jan 20th, 2017 at 08:58 AM.

Frenzied Member

I'm using QBasic, my windows is 7 and I use program called DOSBox to run the classic QBasic, it works with me so fine.
    I think you can download DOSBox from here:
    https://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Download dosbox and setup it, I assume too that you have QBasic, open the dosbox and you will found a black console screen, type this:

Code:
    mount c e:\qb45
    c:
    qb
    you have to enter after every line, you type "mount c e:\qb45" to make like a partition called "c" to refer to the folder "e:\qb45" that have qbasic exe file, then you go to the new partition you made with "c:", c=e:\qb45 remember that, you can't you use "mount" to refer to a partition like "mount c e:\", you must refer to a folder (directory in the language of DOS), at the end you run QBasic with its exe file, I suppose it here to be "qb".

I'm not sure if DOSBox can work with Windows 8 or 10.
    Last edited by ahmedcrow; Aug 4th, 2017 at 02:39 PM. Reason: additional note

Frenzied Member

PowerPoster

Interesting option that can also support an introduction IoT as well as acting like an early Basic PC:

I think u can try using QB64
    But it has to be compiled into an executable and run.

Sinecure devotee

Yes. QB64 was mentioned in the first response (post #2).

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    Yes. QB64 was mentioned in the first response (post #2).
    Oh,yeach