Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows Mobile 6 Development

Frenzied Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Windows Mobile 6 Development

I might Need to do some dev for an old Timbatec Nomad device which apperently runs on Windows Mobile 6 Professional (CE OS 5.2.1946).
    I am currently looking into what Tools i Need to compile for this outdated platform. I have read that recommended Tools are Visual Studio 2005 or 2008. I also got a bit confused by those pesky 3 Letter acronyms MFC WCE ATL WTL bla bla bla.

Is there someone outside with good knowledge how things were done for mobile devices in These past days? Or is there anyone still developing for These platforms nowadays who could give me some insight on the best Tools to use?

We have about 10 of These devices we currently use and they are very robust and work reliably in extreme harsh conditions like -30°C. It certainly would be an Option to buy some new devices and attack them with Xamarin development but you know: we already got the old ones doing a great Job and we dont want to spend some more $K for new devices where we are not sure they are as reliable as the nomads.

Thanks for reading and answering!

Re: Windows Mobile 6 Development

Hi
    I'm currently doing exactly the same thing for exactly same reasons
    It took me 2 week to get everything together but now have it working.
    You need the following -
    Visual Studio 2008 (Has to be as support was removed from 2010 onwards) VB or C#
    RAPI2 from Codeplex
    Windows Mobile Device Centre Download (RAPI2 works through this)
    The 64 bit driver upgrade to for the Windows Mobile Device Centre
    The .Net Compact 3.5
    I have set up a separate laptop for this to work on as my first attempts
    conflicted with everything else and my client is in a hurry.

+ I must have downloaded at least 10 other VS Upgrades, emulators
    and other stuff but I don't think in the end any of this was needed.
    Examples are on codeplex that will et you going. BUT, there is one serious problem with the drivers
    not loading properly if the app is loaded before the device is connected. I'm just about to
    add a thread to see if someone can help me this.
    Hope this is useful
    Jes

Frenzied Member

Cool! Thanks alot for this information. i have also researched a bit into compiling without VS :P prob not such a good idea.
    we need to get a vs2008 license, lets see how costy that will be. i will stay with 2.0 compact FW as this is already installed. my app will be ok with this and i do not want to go through updating the devices. thanks again for sharing, very valuable!

PowerPoster

You can use VS2005 for that device as well. Both 2005 and 2008 will support WM6 and CFW2 as well as CE 5 and 6.
    2003 can create a working app for Windows mobile but uses CFW1.1 and will not build for CE 5 or later but the ones for Windows mobile do still work on the newer devices.

Even the old Embedded VB3 apps still run on Windows mobile 6

Frenzied Member

thanks DataMiser, we are struggling a bit with getting a 2008 prof license atm. so i have looked deeper into compiling without VS as it is described here: https://www.codeproject.com/articles...-visual-studio

i also learned that the devices are actually trimble nomad 800 but had been sold under a different brand Name "Timbatec" since knowing that my Google search results had improved

What i did so far is installing the .net 2.0 SDK and the .net 2.0 CF onto a clean development machine. download links:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=15354
    http://www.microsoft.com/de-at/downl....aspx?id=17981

after that i was able to compile the HelloWorldForm.cs using csc.exe as described on the codeproject page. i then transferred the exe to the device using webmail (sent myself a message with attachment, opened the mail and downloaded the attachment on the device) and surprise: it worked! i tried the same with vbc.exe and after some tweaks of the commandline Parameters this worked as well:
    Code:
    vbc.exe /sdkpath:""%FrameworkAssemblyPath%"" /netcf /nologo /nostdlib /noconfig /out:HelloWorld.exe /r:""%FrameworkAssemblyPath%\Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll"" /r:""%FrameworkAssemblyPath%\mscorlib.dll"" /r:""%FrameworkAssemblyPath%\System.dll"" /r:""%FrameworkAssemblyPath%\System.Windows.Forms.dll"" /r:""%FrameworkAssemblyPath%\System.Drawing.dll"" /nowarn HelloWorldForm.vb
    after that i investigated using the bulit in Barcode scanner today. i downloaded the "Nomad 800 - Software Development Kit (SDK)" from here: http://www.trimble.com/Mobile-Comput...hnical_Support

this sdk contains samples on how to use the Barcode Reader and a ScanDll.dll that must be copied over to the device. Using the functions of the dll i am now able to Access the scanner. so i am almost done with my feasibility study and it Looks good so far. The Project won't be that huge so i can prob deal with the missing VS2005/08. the way of deploying the finished app is a bit clumbsy and i will prob. look into writing an updater pulling new files from the W-Lan in the longer run.