Thread: External image show only red x

Addicted Member

External image show only red x

I have inserted an external image on my report. The report shows the image at design, but once I run my application only a red x is shown.
    Any help would be much appreciated. Could it be a permisssions problem? How do I fix this?
    Regards

Sinecure devotee

Re: External image show only red x

Without any code it will be hard to tell.
    Generally, you probably have something being done in the paint event and what you are referencing isn't valid yet at the time the first paint event happens.
    You will usually need to add some test, eg. check to see if an object you are going to use in your paint event to draw with is not nothing before you draw.
    If it is nothing then skip the drawing this time, and hopefully you'll get another paint event later, (or you can cause one), to do the drawing when the object is available.

Once the code in the paint event has failed, and the red X is displayed, I haven't found a way to fix that in already running code. You have to prevent the failure from happening.

Addicted Member

Thank you passel for answering : Here is my code :

Imports Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    Me.ReportViewer1.LocalReport.ReportPath = "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Trash\WindowsApplication50\WindowsApplication50\Report1.rdlc"

Dim parametervb As ReportParameter
    parametervb = New ReportParameter("ReportParameter1", "File:" + "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\SKEDULERING\Grafieka\Plaaskaarte\8471.bmp", True)

ReportViewer1.LocalReport.EnableExternalImages = True
    ReportViewer1.LocalReport.SetParameters(New ReportParameter() {parametervb})

Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()

End Sub
    End Class

Sinecure devotee

I don't know anything about Microsoft.Reporting.
    Perhaps the executable has to be tagged to run with administrator privileges to access where the picture is located.
    Also Windows does odd things with file paths sometimes so perhaps the path isn't valid when running outside the development environment.
    For a test, you should be able to create a directory right off the root, for example "c" off the C: directory "C:\c" and place the picture in there and change the path in the code to see if that makes any difference. That isn't the solution but may show that the path to the bitmap is the issue.
    If it still doesn't work, then I don't really have an idea. I haven't worked with ReportViewer before.

Addicted Member

Thank you passel. It seems no-one has a answer to my issue.

Addicted Member

Can anyone refer me to some-one that might help me with this issue?