dcsimg

Thread: Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition best price???

Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition best price???

I am required to use Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition to integrate with another set of programs for compatibility, does anyone know where to obtain the 2008 at a low price?

A used copy is just fine.

Re: Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition best price???

This question has nothing to do with VB6 so doesn't belong in the VB6 forum. I've asked the mods to move the thread.

Thread moved from the 'VB6 and earlier' (aka VB 1998 and earlier) forum to the 'General Developer' forum.

While the VB.Net (VB 2002 and later) forum may have been apt, General Developer is probably the best place for this question.

That requirement is an odd one, since VS versions are generally backwardly compatible. VS2008 is fairly old, so if there is any way to use a newer version it would certainly make it easier to find.

One option is probably an MSDN subscription, but these are not cheap. eBay might be a cheaper alternative.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I'm curious what compatibility means in this situation: are there other developers working on those applications, and upgrading the project will prevent them from easily working on it? Are there Add-ons that are incorporated into the IDE?

Or is it simply the framework version - this should be IDE independent, if you are using a later version of the IDE.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Lively Member

The VS2008 had a "migration" tool that could translate real Visual Basic source to the so called vb. I dont know if newer versions of VS have any.

That tool sucked pretty bad and was dropped after 2008. I certainly wouldn't suggest that anybody seek out 2008 for such a tool. The tool was for converting the fundamentally functional VB6 to the fundamentally Object Oriented VB.NET, and it didn't do it very well. It took a guess at a few relatively simple things, often got them wrong, and gave up on the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That tool sucked pretty bad and was dropped after 2008. I certainly wouldn't suggest that anybody seek out 2008 for such a tool. The tool was for converting the fundamentally functional VB6 to the fundamentally Object Oriented VB.NET, and it didn't do it very well. It took a guess at a few relatively simple things, often got them wrong, and gave up on the rest.
    thanks shaggy! got it

Lively Member

I had used it once , years ago , to help someone who needed arrays of controls , but had no idea how to do it in vb.net .

So , I made the forms in VB-6 and translated them. The “thing” seemed to work.

The thing kind of worked in some places. I tried it on a small project and it got all the easy parts fairly well. It was never particularly efficient, though, and even when it did the conversion without error there were always ways to do it better by hand. So, with the tool, you either ended up with a functionally sound program that could be improved greatly, or you ended up with a partially converted program and a whole mess of errors. That's not really what people wanted.

After all, the conversion for control arrays in VB6 to .NET would be to get rid of the arrays entirely in most cases, because the purpose of control arrays in VB6 was generally handled by chained event handlers in .NET. The converter might have taken the control array and removed it in place of the way .NET handled events, but if the control array served multiple purposes in the original, then that wouldn't be the right conversion.

Ah, yes, the conversion tool.

I must admit, I found it useful for converting basic constructs, but after a few minutes, that part (of .NET) was learned. Converting programs wholesale, just didn't work too well.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."