dcsimg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you trust the Collection class?

PowerPoster

Re: How much do you trust the Collection class?

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    So, if I understand correctly, you're proposing that there are two additional structures (one a hash table (small-ish array) and the other a complete sorted array of collection entries).
    It seems you're off in the weeds... I didn't say anything like that. To implement an identically functioning Collection class, you wouldn't need any additional structures beyond VBCOLLECTIONITEM. It is however probably that the Collection Class uses an Array of Buckets. The Bucket could be an array of 2-3 VBCOLLECTIONITEM(s).

PowerPoster

So, are you proposing that VB keeps that array sorted (upon .Add)? And that the doubly-linked pointers are just there so the index order doesn't have to agree with the sort order?
    bingo. (to clarify that's not what I'm proposing. proposing seems too weak - I'm saying with a high degree of confidence, that this is exactly how the collection class works)

Also when you say an array is sorted.. no sorting is happening on Add. Only Node Insertion... the Prev/Next pointers are updated of the "neighboring nodes". neighboring nodes, are not sequential in the array. Hashtable(s) are by their nature - unsorted. (remember - we're jumping into an "arbitrary" array index, calculated by the Hash Function.)

This unsorted nature of a base HashTable and the Collection class, is exactly the type of issue that was going to be addressed in an updated Collection in VB7. And actually was addressed in .NET

If you really want to abuse the Collection class, Keep .Add(ing) entries at the middle Index, and watch the Add slow to a crawl the more Entries you add.

Read TheTrick's HashTable Implementation if you want more details on how to combine a HashTable with a Doubly linked list.
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...VB6-Hash-table

It's very similar to VB's Collection class... it looks like he uses a single level of indirection, to go from a hash index, to a dynamically allocated bucket. (A dynamic array of dynamic arrays)

Here's a piece of code from The Trick
    Code:
    Public Property Let Item(Key As Variant, value As Variant)
        Dim pt As tPointer

If Not GetFromKey(Key, pt) Then
            Err.Raise 5
            Exit Property
        End If

If pt.Index = -1 Then Err.Raise 5: Exit Property
        List(pt.hash).Elements(pt.Index).value = value

End Property
    His internal Hashtable is called List() his array of Slots within the Bucket are named Elements.
    You can see in that one line of code, that the "Hash" or "arbitrary array position" is used directly as an index into his HashTable.
    the GetFromKey worker function, checks if the Key exists, and for collisions - and updates pt.Index accordingly.
    It's not theory, this is how a Hashtable works in practice.
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Aug 26th, 2016 at 03:51 PM.

Okay, to test this proposition, I wrote a routine to gather up and return all the First, Next, Next, etcetera pointers. If the Collection is sorted, and we add a series of keys that are randomly alphabetized (i.e., not alphabetized), then these pointers should jump all around. Just to get right to my test code, here it is:

Code:

Option Explicit
    '
    Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (pDest As Any, pSource As Any, ByVal ByteLen As Long)
    '
    Private Type VbCollection
        pVTable As Long     ' &h0000 
        Unk0    As Long     ' &h0004 
        Unk1    As Long     ' &h0008 
        Unk2    As Long     ' &h000C 
        Count   As Long     ' &h0010 
        Unk3    As Long     ' &h0014 
        First   As Long     ' &h0018 
        Last    As Long     ' &h001C 
    End Type                ' &h0020 length 
    '
    Private Type VbCollectionItem
        Data    As Variant  ' &h0000 
        Key     As String   ' &h0010 
        Prev    As Long     ' &h0014 
        Next    As Long     ' &h0018 
    End Type                ' &h001C length 
    '

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim c As New Collection
        Dim p() As Long
        Dim i As Long

c.Add "asdf", "asdf"
        c.Add "qwer", "qwer"
        c.Add "cdef", "cdef"
        c.Add "fghj", "fghj"
        c.Add "cfgh", "cfgh"
        c.Add "aihg", "aihg"
        c.Add "werb", "werb"
        c.Add "bbbb", "bbbb"
        c.Add "ercd", "ercd"

p = CollectionNextPointers(c)
        For i = 0 To c.Count
            Debug.Print p(i)
        Next i

End Sub

Public Function CollectionNextPointers(Coll As Collection) As Long()
        ' This returns an array of the entire collection's "Next" pointers. 
        ' The array's zeroth element is the pointer from the header to the first item. 
        Dim CollNextPtrs() As Long
        Dim j As Long
        Dim iHold As Long
        Dim ptr As Long
        '
        If Coll Is Nothing Then
            Err.Raise 91
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        If Coll.Count = 0 Then Exit Function
        '
        ReDim CollNextPtrs(0 To Coll.Count)
        CopyMemory ptr, ByVal ObjPtr(Coll) + &H18, 4    ' VbCollection.First 
        CollNextPtrs(0) = ptr
        For j = 1 To Coll.Count
            CopyMemory ptr, ByVal ptr + &H18, 4         ' VbCollectionItem.Next 
            CollNextPtrs(j) = ptr
        Next j
        '
        CollectionNextPointers = CollNextPtrs
    End Function

Particularly notice this loop:
    Code:

For i = 0 To c.Count
            Debug.Print p(i)
        Next i

Now, here's what that printed out for me (annotated by me):
    Code:

75472608   <--- First pointer from header.
     75472696   <--- Next pointer of first item.
     75472784   <--- Next pointer of next item.
     75472872   <--- Next pointer of next item.
     75472960   <--- Next pointer of next item.
     75473048   <--- Next pointer of next item.
     75473136   <--- Next pointer of next item.
     75473224   <--- Next pointer of next item.
     75473312   <--- Next pointer of next item.
     0          <--- Next pointer of last item.

Okay, the very first thing to notice here is that the pointers are sequential. In other words, the pointers are in the same order as the Collection items indices. However, look at the keys added. They're far from alphabetical.

So, the keys are not alphabetized in the VBCOLLECTIONITEM array. Therefore, when we have two keys that might produce the same hash-code, having a pointer into this VBCOLLECTIONITEM array does us no good if we jump into the wrong key. The other key can be anywhere in the array.

Next, I'll do some testing to see if it's even an array, or just a scattered collection of memory blocks.

Regards,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; Aug 26th, 2016 at 04:18 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Okay, it does seem to be a contiguous block of memory. Here's what I did:

Code:

Option Explicit
    '
    Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (pDest As Any, pSource As Any, ByVal ByteLen As Long)
    '
    Private Type VbCollection
        pVTable As Long     ' &h0000 
        Unk0    As Long     ' &h0004 
        Unk1    As Long     ' &h0008 
        Unk2    As Long     ' &h000C 
        Count   As Long     ' &h0010 
        Unk3    As Long     ' &h0014 
        First   As Long     ' &h0018 
        Last    As Long     ' &h001C 
    End Type                ' &h0020 length 
    '
        Data    As Variant  ' &h0000 
        Key     As String   ' &h0010 
        Prev    As Long     ' &h0014 
        Next    As Long     ' &h0018 
    End Type                ' &h001C length 
    '

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim c As New Collection
        Dim p() As Long
        Dim i As Long
        Dim a() As String
        Dim b() As Long
        Dim s As String

ReDim a(1 To 1000)

c.Add "asdf", "asdf"
        c.Add "qwer", "qwer"
        c.Add "cdef", "cdef"
        c.Add "fghj", "fghj"

' Attempt to allocate/deallocate some memory 
        Erase a
        ReDim b(1 To 5000)
        s = String(3000, "x")

c.Add "cfgh", "cfgh"
        c.Add "aihg", "aihg"
        c.Add "werb", "werb"
        c.Add "bbbb", "bbbb"
        c.Add "ercd", "ercd"

For i = 0 To c.Count
            Debug.Print p(i)
        Next i

End Sub

Public Function CollectionNextPointers(Coll As Collection) As Long()
        ' This returns an array of the entire collection's "Next" pointers. 
        ' The array's zeroth element is the pointer from the header to the first item. 
        Dim CollNextPtrs() As Long
        Dim j As Long
        Dim iHold As Long
        Dim ptr As Long
        '
        If Coll Is Nothing Then
            Err.Raise 91
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        If Coll.Count = 0 Then Exit Function
        '
        ReDim CollNextPtrs(0 To Coll.Count)
        CopyMemory ptr, ByVal ObjPtr(Coll) + &H18, 4    ' VbCollection.First 
        CollNextPtrs(0) = ptr
        For j = 1 To Coll.Count
            CopyMemory ptr, ByVal ptr + &H18, 4         ' VbCollectionItem.Next 
            CollNextPtrs(j) = ptr
        Next j
        '
        CollectionNextPointers = CollNextPtrs
    End Function

Particularly notice the line in between adding the list of items. It would seem that that would certainly shuffle memory around.

But here's my new list of "first/next" pointers.

Code:

Contiguous blocks of 88 (&h58) bytes each.

Actually, this brings up yet another question. From what you've (DEX) posted, we only know about &h1C bytes in the VBCOLLECTIONITEM structure. Where/what are the other 60 (&h3C) bytes?

Regards,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; Aug 26th, 2016 at 04:23 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

So, the keys are not alphabetized in the VBCOLLECTIONITEM array. Therefore, when we have two keys that might produce the same hash-code, having a pointer into this VBCOLLECTIONITEM array does us no good if we jump into the wrong key. The other key can be anywhere in the array.
    Yes. this is exactly how a HashTable works. It's unsorted, and the other Key/Value pair can be anywhere in the Array/HashTable.

Next, I'll do some testing to see if it's even an array, or just a scattered collection of memory blocks.
    That will tell you nothing, except that the buckets are dynamically allocated. If you look at Trick's code - he dynamically allocates his buckets as well - which means his buckets don't have to be contiguous in memory, and even if they are - you still can't deduce how they're indexed without stepping through the insertion to find the HashTable index, before its redirected. (pointers to pointers....)
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Aug 26th, 2016 at 04:29 PM.

PowerPoster

Contiguous blocks of 88 (&h58) bytes each.

Actually, this brings up yet another question. From what you've (DEX) posted, we only know about &h1C bytes in the VBCOLLECTIONITEM structure. Where/what are the other 60 (&h3C) bytes?
    This isn't DOS, and I know enough about memory management to know I can't make any deductions about this. For all I know they are more slots in each bucket. CS101 says a bucket usually consists of multiple slots (2-3 according to Wikipedia) - to make collision resolution easier.

We haven't solved much, if anything, but maybe it's time to put this one to bed. (In my mind, we (or I) have concluded that Collections work just fine so long as we honor some rules about Unicode.)

It would be nice to completely sort out how Collections work, but I don't think it's happening.

I still have no clue how a hash table is going to help us, unless there is a sorted array somewhere.

I could possibly see yet another set of doubly-linked pointers somewhere in that additional 60 bytes. The array itself doesn't need to be sorted, so long as we've got some way to traverse it in a sorted fashion. And pointers can certainly accomplish that. It rules out binary searches, but it doesn't rule out a hash table. Also, we need to recognize that the sorting has to be based on the actual hash-codes and not the actual keys.

I'm still far from convinced that hash-codes and hash-tables have anything to do with these things.

Regards,
    Elroy

PowerPoster

I still have no clue how a hash table is going to help us, unless there is a sorted array somewhere.
    I have no idea why you're stuck on sorting. Nothing is sorted. Ordered yes, sorted no. Very different concepts.

I'm still far from convinced that hash-codes and hash-tables have anything to do with these things.
    A) you don't even know how a hash-table works... until that happens i don't see how you can make any sort of judgement?
    B) We _know_ a VB collection uses a Hashtable because it's as fast as Hashtable.

Alright DEX, we'll let the digs pass for the sake of some rational edification. Please go ahead and explain to me the distinction between ordered and sorted.

Ordered? Possibly based on pointers (but others from our index pointers) that traverse a list in a particular "order"? Possibly ... erm ... "organized" alphanumerically based on a value that's not actually in the list? DEX, please don't split hairs for the pure sake of obfuscation.

I think I've rather conclusively demonstrated that all the VBCOLLECTIONITEMs are in a contiguous block of memory, and that they're, at least initially, "ordered" (if you must) in the order they were added, and not by any alphabetizing (of either keys or hash-codes).

I'll freely admit that I don't use hash-codes daily, but I do have a reasonable working knowledge of what they are and how they're used in a hash-table. In fact, without any reference, I feel confident that I could patch together a hash-lookup-system reasonably quickly.

However, if we know that our hash-codes are lossy (i.e., multiple keys may derive the same hash-code, or, said differently, we can't derive the original key from the hash-code), then we know we may have collisions. Therefore, this knowledge mandates that must have some way to traverse our list in hash-code "order".

At the risk of incessantly-repeating myself, I see no evidence of any "ordering". In fact, all I see is the contrary, and I illustrated that above. You also talked about buckets. My understanding of a hash-table is that the buckets are in the table itself, and not in the list. Therefore, your comment about the unknown 60 bytes is also confusing to me.

I'll admit that it's still possible that a hash-table is present. However, to say that it must be because collections are fast, is like a drag-racer saying a cheetah is a dragster because it's fast. Maybe they crammed a dragster (or a cheetah) into a computer box, and that's what collections are.

DEX, at one point, I thought we were making some genuine progress to get this sorted, but I no longer believe that's the case.

I'm out'a this one.

You Take Care,
    Elroy

Fanatic Member

Alright, probably my last post on this as well. As others have suggested, I strongly believe this error is caused by a failed text comparison when trying to match keys on a .Item() call, where the hash table index in question contains multiple items (so the .Item() function has to search the linked list, comparing key values as it goes).

We know VB collections implement a case-insensitive, locale-specific text comparison much like StrComp + vbTextCompare. (dilettante confirmed this in #5.) The underlying C function for a string comparison like this is _wcsicoll (MSDN: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2w46a1da.aspx). As MSDN says, this function can fail if certain conditions are met:

_wcsicoll can fail if either string1 or string2 contains wide-character codes outside the domain of the collating sequence. When an error occurs, _wcsicoll may set errno to EINVAL.
    EINVAL is the C equivalent of RTE 5, just a generic "invalid argument" error (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5814770t.aspx). As dilettante previously suggested, this could "bubble up" as the RTE 5 we're seeing here.

I don't know how optimized _wcsicoll is, but it may attempt a binary comparison before dropping back to a full locale-sensitive, collation comparison. This may explain why the .Item() function works if there's only one entry in that hash index (if it attempts a binary comparison and finds a match, it can immediately exit without performing the problematic collate operation that triggers the error). This is wandering way into the realm of wild guesses, though.

I'd be curious to see a disassembly that could confirm/refute this explanation, but beyond this, I'm not sure what else to add to the OP's original question. pekko already provided a great paper on the actual implementation of VB collections (in #19), and DEXWERX has painstakingly laid out a full CS 101 lesson in hash tables for beginners.

Anyway, thanks @Donar for the post. It's always good to have hard evidence of Collection shortcomings. I think the tl;dr of this discussion is: if you plan on using non-ANSI characters in your Collection keys, you should roll your own implementation, or normalize/manually hash your Unicode strings prior to using them as keys.
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

On my machine (Win10 Pro x64) the demo fails in IDE at 4217.
    Don't know if this helps but Hex D8BA is not valid Unicode.

4217 Attempt to access: 1192 BB0B 80D9 D8BA 0534 5374 -
    ᆒ묋胙�Դ却
    Character Hex D8BA is not valid Unicode according to BabelMap.
    According to Unicode.Org:
    High Surrogate Area
    Range: D800-DBFF
    Isolated surrogate code points have no interpretation; consequently, no character code charts or names lists are provided for this range.
    See http://www.unicode.org/charts/ for access to a complete list of the latest character code charts.

More info on range D800-DFFF:

^ Unicode range D800–DFFF is used for surrogate pairs in UTF-16 (used by Windows) and CESU-8 transformation formats, allowing these encodings to represent the supplementary plane code points, whose values are too large to fit in 16 bits. A pair of 16-bit code points — the first from the high surrogate area (D800–DBFF), and the second from the low surrogate area (DC00–DFFF) — are combined to form a 32-bit code point from the supplementary planes.

Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646 do not assign actual characters to any of the code points in the D800–DFFF range — these code points only have meaning when used in surrogate pairs. Hence an individual code point from a surrogate pair does not represent a character, is invalid unless used in a surrogate pair, and is unconditionally invalid in UTF-32 and UTF-8 (if strict conformance to the standard is applied).

Name:  D8BA Out of Range BabelMap.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  66.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dseaman; Aug 27th, 2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: More info

PowerPoster

@Elroy and Dex (referring to his small HashList-CodeSnippet)

Here's another, fully implemented Class (kinda comparable to The Tricks HashList),
    but with much less code - and not a single API-Declare.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...lass-(no-APIs)

These about 100 Lines of VB-Class-Code should help with studying a fully working HashList-implementation
    (which doesn't necessarily need to be implemented as a Linked-List).

Edit: ... BTW - it runs the thread-opener-example without complaints...

Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; Aug 27th, 2016 at 06:34 PM.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Here's another, fully implemented Class (kinda comparable to The Tricks HashList),
    but with much less code - and not a single API-Declare.
    My hash table has the additional code because it supports ForEach enumeration with the different modes and has single-class implementation.
    By topic, i'll investigate Add method of collection. As soon as i'll find out how does it work i'll publish results here.

PowerPoster

I truly apologize for making the digs.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Aug 29th, 2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Removed all the passive-aggressive nonsense

The discussion about the technical side of this issue has been interesting. The discussion about hash tables has also been interesting, but it appears to be degenerating into a discussion that is sure to just rile people up to no good end.

I think it would be good for somebody to write a concise post explaining how to avoid this issue, but let's not get back to personal comments.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

DEXWERX, I appreciate the apology.

If I've offended, which I'm sure I'm capable of, I offer an apology as well.

You have a great day,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; Aug 29th, 2016 at 12:17 PM.

PowerPoster

@Elroy - I would like to formally take back the insults and passive aggressive jabs. I'm also sorry you read the continuation, before Shaggy got to them. I'll keep the frustration off the forums, and stick to the discussion at hand.
    @Shaggy I'll try this again without insults... because I think the information is valuable.

A Hashtable is more accurately called a HashMap because with the most typical design, the Map itself is an Array of pointers to Bucket's and must be a contiguous array. Each entry in the Map has or is a pointer to a Bucket. Using a table of pointers, solves the issue of growing the Entries without having to allocate a bunch of Empty entries. Each bucket is dynamically allocated. This means it does not need to be contiguous in memory. It can be, (like Schmidt's example that simplifies allocation by using a VB Dynamic Array), but it doesn't have to be.

If one were to allocate memory in Between calls to .Add, Let's say by calling Add on another collection, would the entries of one Collection still be contiguous? Or could they be interleaved?

VBA.Collection is not sorted, it is however Ordered because you an access it by index, .Add allows inserting before or After an Index, and Enumerating uses the same order. The purpose of the doubly linked list in a Collection, is to maintain this Order.

.NET has both an OrderedDictionary and a SortedDictionary class. The SortedDictionary allows Retrieval by Index or Key, Where the SortedDictionary only allows Retrieval by Key.

A cheat sheet on Algorithm performance. http://bigocheatsheet.com/
    You can measure performance, and deduce what can't be seen - similar to physics.

There's very few algorithms that can even approach O(log n) the performance (and simplicity) of a HashTable O(1) at retrieval by Key.
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Aug 29th, 2016 at 12:22 PM.

PowerPoster

Back on Topic:
    If memory serves me right, I think it was someone on here that posted code that patches msvbvm60.dll in memory, to make VBA.Collection case sensitive.
    He identified the the specific Collation API (in ole32 or oleaut32) that was used, and patched the flags in the 2 API calls to be case sensitive.

I'm sure Trick will probably find out a lot of specifics though. It would be nice to know what APIs are being used, where the HashMap is, and What HashFunction is used.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    Back on Topic:
    If memory serves me right, I think it was someone on here that posted code that patches msvbvm60.dll in memory, to make VBA.Collection case sensitive.
    maybe this one
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=collection+msvb...3Avbforums.com

PowerPoster

touche, your google fu exceeds my own.

VarBstrCmp it is.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Aug 29th, 2016 at 04:19 PM.

@pekko, that's certainly an interesting piece of code. There's not a great deal that makes me nervous, but altering the memory-loaded machine code (actually, data, I suppose), of what is essentially now an OS file, does. We'd have to thoroughly test anytime the checksum of the MSVBVM60.DLL file changed.

I suppose I'm doing something similar when I fetch the string keys from memory. However, at least that's based on my own executable, and not a file provided by the OS (and I'm only reading memory). I also wonder how the change affects other things, like how StrComp works, and whether or not Option Compare will still have the same effect.

Again, it's certainly interesting though. It's too bad they didn't just expose such a property on Collections (possibly disabling writing to it once items are added). I cringe to bring it up, but I also wonder what effect it'll have on the operation of any "under the hood" hash-table. Clearly, we'd have a mess if we made this PatchCollection(IsCaseSensitive = True) call, added keys like "asdf", "ASDF", etcetera, and then called PatchCollection(IsCaseSensitive = False).

Regards,
    Elroy

Frenzied Member

What i've found out.
    VB6 collection is binary tree. An collection object contains all the items in the double linked list and all the items with keys in the tree. When you try to access to an item with key it searches one in the tree and if you access to item by the index it enumerates all the item until the specified item found. I've created an analog of Add method and Item property using reverse-engineering of code of MSVBVM60 runtime on Windows 7 x64. Because of VB6 doesn't supports pointers to UDT i've implemented it through classes.
    All the offsets correspond to the native Collection structure (for example, if you change classes to udt, change work with the references and use the native VB memory allocator you can pass an collection object to Add/Item functions - it'll work correctly. If somebody will wonder i can implement Remove method too (i glance at Remove method and it uses some unknown structures (pvUnk4 for example)).
    Class CVBCollection:
    Code:
    ' //
    ' // Native VB collection
    ' // Decompiled by The trick
    ' //

Option Explicit

Private Const DISP_E_PARAMNOTFOUND        As Long = &H80020004
    Private Const CTL_E_ILLEGALFUNCTIONCALL   As Long = &H800A0005
    Private Const DISP_E_OVERFLOW             As Long = &H8002000A
    Private Const E_OUTOFMEMORY               As Long = &H8007000E

Public pInterface1         As IUnknown            ' // 0x00
    Public pInterface2         As IUnknown            ' // 0x04
    Public pInterface3         As IUnknown            ' // 0x08
    Public lRefCounter         As Long                ' // 0x0C
    Public lNumOfItems         As Long                ' // 0x10
    Public pvUnk1              As Long                ' // 0x14
    Public pFirstIndexedItem   As CVBCollectionItem   ' // 0x18
    Public pLastIndexedItem    As CVBCollectionItem   ' // 0x1C
    Public pvUnk4              As Long                ' // 0x20
    Public pFirstItem          As CVBCollectionItem   ' // 0x24
    Public pRootItem           As CVBCollectionItem   ' // 0x28
    Public pvUnk5              As Long                ' // 0x2C

' // Get item
    Public Property Get Item( _
                        ByRef vKeyIndex As Variant) As Variant
        Dim hr      As Long
        Dim pItem   As CVBCollectionItem

hr = GetItemByKey(vKeyIndex, pItem)

If hr < 0 Then
            Err.Raise hr
            Exit Property
        End If

If IsObject(pItem.vtItem) Then
            Set Item = pItem.vtItem
        Else
            Item = pItem.vtItem
        End If

End Property

' // Add item to collection
    Public Sub Add( _
               ByRef vItem As Variant, _
               Optional ByRef vKey As Variant, _
               Optional ByRef vBefore As Variant, _
               Optional ByRef vAfter As Variant)
        Dim bIsEmptyKey     As Boolean
        Dim bIsEmptyBefore  As Boolean
        Dim bIsEmptyAfter   As Boolean
        Dim vIndex          As Variant
        Dim pNewItem        As CVBCollectionItem
        Dim pItem           As CVBCollectionItem
        Dim pTempItem       As CVBCollectionItem
        Dim bstrKey         As String
        Dim hr              As Long

bIsEmptyKey = IsMissingParam(vKey)
        bIsEmptyBefore = IsMissingParam(vBefore)
        bIsEmptyAfter = IsMissingParam(vAfter)

If bIsEmptyBefore Then
            If Not bIsEmptyAfter Then
                vIndex = vAfter
            End If
        Else
            If Not bIsEmptyAfter Then
                Err.Raise CTL_E_ILLEGALFUNCTIONCALL
                Exit Sub
            End If
            vIndex = vBefore
        End If

If lNumOfItems < 0 Then
            Err.Raise DISP_E_OVERFLOW
            Exit Sub
        End If

If bIsEmptyKey Then
            Set pNewItem = New CVBCollectionItem
        Else

hr = GetItemByKey(vKey, pNewItem)
            If hr >= 0 Then
                Err.Raise &H800A01C9
                Exit Sub
            End If

' // 48
            Set pNewItem = New CVBCollectionItem

bstrKey = BSTRKeyFromVariant(vKey)

If Len(bstrKey) = 0 Then
                Err.Raise &H800A000D
                Exit Sub
            End If

pNewItem.bstrKey = bstrKey
            pNewItem.bFlag = False

Set pNewItem.pRight = pRootItem
            Set pNewItem.pLeft = pRootItem

End If

' // VariantCopyInd
        pNewItem.vtItem = vItem

If IsEmpty(vIndex) Then
            Set pItem = pLastIndexedItem
        Else

hr = GetItemByKey(vIndex, pItem)
            If hr < 0 Then
                Err.Raise hr
                Exit Sub
            End If

If Not bIsEmptyBefore Then
                Set pItem = pItem.pPrevIndexedItem
            End If

End If

If Not bIsEmptyBefore And pItem Is Nothing Then

Dim pTmpItem As CVBCollectionItem

Set pTmpItem = pFirstIndexedItem
            Set pFirstIndexedItem = pNewItem
            Set pTmpItem.pPrevIndexedItem = pNewItem
            Set pNewItem.pPrevIndexedItem = Nothing
            Set pNewItem.pNextIndexedItem = pTmpItem

Else

If Not pItem Is Nothing Then

Set pNewItem.pNextIndexedItem = pItem.pNextIndexedItem

If Not pItem.pNextIndexedItem Is Nothing Then
                    Set pNewItem.pNextIndexedItem.pPrevIndexedItem = pNewItem
                Else
                    Set pLastIndexedItem = pNewItem
                End If

Set pItem.pNextIndexedItem = pNewItem

Else

Set pNewItem.pNextIndexedItem = Nothing
                Set pFirstIndexedItem = pNewItem
                Set pLastIndexedItem = pNewItem

End If

End If

Set pNewItem.pPrevIndexedItem = pItem

If Not bIsEmptyKey Then
            AddItemWithKeyToTree pNewItem
        End If

lNumOfItems = lNumOfItems + 1

End Sub

' // Get item by variant key/index
    Private Function GetItemByKey( _
                     ByRef vKey As Variant, _
                     ByRef pOutItem As CVBCollectionItem) As Long
        Dim bIsEmptyKey As Boolean
        Dim bstrKey     As String
        Dim lIndex      As Long
        Dim pItem       As CVBCollectionItem

bIsEmptyKey = IsMissingParam(vKey)

If bIsEmptyKey Or pFirstIndexedItem Is Nothing Then
            GetItemByKey = CTL_E_ILLEGALFUNCTIONCALL
            Exit Function
        End If

bstrKey = BSTRKeyFromVariant(vKey)

' // This is string key
        If Len(bstrKey) Then

Set pOutItem = FindItemFrom(pFirstItem, bstrKey)

If pOutItem Is pRootItem Then
                GetItemByKey = CTL_E_ILLEGALFUNCTIONCALL
                Exit Function
            End If

Else

lIndex = Int(vKey)

If lIndex <= 0 Or lIndex > lNumOfItems Then
                GetItemByKey = &H800A000D
                Exit Function
            End If

Set pOutItem = pFirstIndexedItem

Do Until lIndex = 1
                Set pOutItem = pOutItem.pNextIndexedItem
                lIndex = lIndex - 1
            Loop

End If

End Function

' // Add item that has a key to tree
    Private Function AddItemWithKeyToTree( _
                     ByVal pItem As CVBCollectionItem) As Long
        Dim pCurItem            As CVBCollectionItem
        Dim pParentItem         As CVBCollectionItem
        Dim pParentParentItem   As CVBCollectionItem
        Dim pParentLeft         As CVBCollectionItem

' // Insert item to tree
        InsertItemToTree pItem

pItem.bFlag = False

Set pCurItem = pItem

Do Until pCurItem Is pFirstItem

Set pParentItem = pCurItem.pParentItem

If pParentItem.bFlag Then Exit Do

Set pParentParentItem = pParentItem.pParentItem
            Set pParentLeft = pParentParentItem.pLeft

If pParentItem Is pParentLeft Then

Set pParentLeft = pParentParentItem.pRight

If Not pParentLeft.bFlag Then

pParentItem.bFlag = True
                    pParentLeft.bFlag = True
                    pParentItem.pParentItem.bFlag = False
                    Set pCurItem = pCurItem.pParentItem.pParentItem

Else

If pCurItem Is pParentItem.pParentItem Then

Set pCurItem = pCurItem.pParentItem
                        MoveDownRight pParentItem

Else

pParentItem.bFlag = True
                        MoveDownLeft pCurItem.pParentItem.pParentItem

End If

End If

Else

If pParentLeft.bFlag Then

If pCurItem Is pParentItem.pLeft Then

Set pCurItem = pCurItem.pParentItem
                        MoveDownLeft pParentItem

Else

pParentItem.bFlag = True
                        MoveDownRight pCurItem.pParentItem.pParentItem

End If

Else

pParentItem.bFlag = True
                    pParentLeft.bFlag = True
                    Set pCurItem = pCurItem.pParentItem.pParentItem

End If

End If

Loop

pFirstItem.bFlag = True

End Function

' // Move tree item down and left
    Private Sub MoveDownLeft( _
                ByVal pItem As CVBCollectionItem)
        Dim pParentLeft   As CVBCollectionItem

Set pParentLeft = pItem.pLeft
        Set pItem.pLeft = pParentLeft.pRight

If Not pParentLeft.pRight Is pRootItem Then
            Set pParentLeft.pRight.pParentItem = pItem
        End If

Set pParentLeft.pParentItem = pItem.pParentItem

If pItem.pParentItem Is pRootItem Then
            Set pFirstItem = pParentLeft
        Else
            If pItem Is pItem.pParentItem.pRight Then
                Set pItem.pParentItem.pRight = pParentLeft
            Else
                Set pItem.pParentItem.pLeft = pParentLeft
            End If
        End If

Set pParentLeft.pRight = pItem
        Set pItem.pParentItem = pParentLeft

End Sub

' // Move tree item down and right
    Private Sub MoveDownRight( _
                ByVal pItem As CVBCollectionItem)
        Dim pRight  As CVBCollectionItem

Set pRight = pItem.pRight
        Set pItem.pRight = pRight.pLeft

If Not pRight.pLeft Is pRootItem Then
            Set pRight.pLeft.pParentItem = pItem
        End If

Set pRight.pParentItem = pItem.pParentItem

If pItem.pParentItem Is pRootItem Then
            Set pFirstItem = pRight
        Else
            If pItem Is pItem.pParentItem.pLeft Then
                Set pItem.pParentItem.pLeft = pRight
            Else
                Set pItem.pParentItem.pRight = pRight
            End If
        End If

Set pRight.pLeft = pItem
        Set pItem.pParentItem = pRight

End Sub

' // Insert item to tree
    Private Function InsertItemToTree( _
                     ByVal pItem As CVBCollectionItem) As Long
        Dim pCurItem    As CVBCollectionItem
        Dim pParentItem As CVBCollectionItem
        Dim hr          As Long

Set pParentItem = pRootItem
        Set pCurItem = pFirstItem

' // Check if item exists
        If Not pParentItem Is pCurItem Then

' // Find tree node for passed item
            Do

Set pParentItem = pCurItem

hr = StrComp(pItem.bstrKey, pCurItem.bstrKey, vbTextCompare) + 1

Select Case hr
                Case 0
                    Set pCurItem = pCurItem.pLeft
                Case 1
                    ' // Error. Specified item already exists
                    InsertItemToTree = &H800A01C9
                    Exit Function
                Case 2
                    Set pCurItem = pCurItem.pRight
                End Select

Loop Until pCurItem Is pRootItem

Else:   hr = ObjPtr(pItem)
        End If

' // Set parent node for passed item
        Set pItem.pParentItem = pParentItem

' // Check if it is the root node
        If pParentItem Is pRootItem Then
            Set pFirstItem = pItem
        Else
            ' // Place item depending on value
            If hr Then
                Set pParentItem.pRight = pItem
            Else
                Set pParentItem.pLeft = pItem
            End If
        End If

End Function

' // Find an item by key from specified item
    Private Function FindItemFrom( _
                     ByVal pStartItem As CVBCollectionItem, _
                     ByRef bstrKey As String) As CVBCollectionItem
        Dim pCurItem    As CVBCollectionItem

Set pCurItem = pStartItem

Do Until pCurItem Is pRootItem

Select Case StrComp(bstrKey, pCurItem.bstrKey, vbTextCompare)
            Case -1:    Set pCurItem = pCurItem.pLeft
            Case 0:     Exit Do
            Case 1:     Set pCurItem = pCurItem.pRight
            End Select

Loop

Set FindItemFrom = pCurItem

End Function

' // Convert a variant value to string
    Private Function BSTRKeyFromVariant( _
                     ByRef vKey As Variant) As String
        Dim vTemp   As Variant
        Dim pTmpObj As Object

If IsObject(vKey) Then

Set pTmpObj = vKey

If Not pTmpObj Is Nothing Then
                vTemp = CStr(vKey)
            Else
                Set vTemp = vKey
            End If

Else
            vTemp = vKey
        End If

If VarType(vTemp) = vbString Then
            BSTRKeyFromVariant = CStr(vTemp)
        End If

End Function

Private Function IsMissingParam( _
                     ByRef vParam As Variant) As Boolean

#If COMPILED Then

If IsError(vParam) Then
            If CInt(vParam) = DISP_E_PARAMNOTFOUND Then
                IsMissingParam = True
            End If
        End If

#Else

IsMissingParam = IsMissing(vParam)

#End If

End Function

Private Sub Class_Initialize()

Set pRootItem = New CVBCollectionItem
        Set pFirstItem = pRootItem

#If Not COMPILED Then

pRootItem.bstrKey = "root"

#End If

End Sub
    Class CVBCollectionItem:
    Code:
    ' //
    ' // Native VB collection item
    ' // Decompiled by The trick
    ' //

Option Explicit

Public vtItem              As Variant
    Public bstrKey             As String
    Public pPrevIndexedItem    As CVBCollectionItem
    Public pNextIndexedItem    As CVBCollectionItem
    Public pvUnknown           As Long
    Public pParentItem         As CVBCollectionItem
    Public pRight              As CVBCollectionItem
    Public pLeft               As CVBCollectionItem
    Public bFlag               As Boolean
    When you skip Key, Before, After in Add method of the native collection it passes VT_ERROR with DISP_E_PARAMNOTFOUND value indeed.

PowerPoster

Makes sense. Hashes and trees are the two most common ways of implementing an indexed data structure, so it almost had to be one or the other.

A lot of the Collection alternatives you see out there tend to use one type of tree or another. I suppose you could even use both: a relatively fast but short hash (8 to 12 bits?) to select among multiple shallower trees.

Fanatic Member

Trick, you are amazing, as always. Thank you for sharing your findings.

Thanks also to dseaman earlier in the thread for conclusively demonstrating that the problems seem to occur with malformed surrogate pair markers.

I'm still confused why the error only appears intermittently. You'd think it would occur every time that VarBstrCmp() call attempts to match a malformed key string. I'm also confused by the specific compare flags used - &H1 is "ignore case", which makes sense, but what on earth is &h30000? An undocumented internal flag?
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

Yes, I've got to give a shout-out to Trick as well. That's amazing stuff. VB6 collections finally completely revealed.

Regards,
    Elroy

Say Trick, I was just playing around (and looking at the code of) your Dictionary Viewer. That's super cool stuff.

Now that we have a way to retrieve the keys of dictionary items, we should all probably switch over to the Dictionary, rather than using Collections.

From other threads, it seems to be much faster.

I guess the only thing we lose is the ability to have an index-order in addition to the keys, but that doesn't seem like much of a loss to me.

I haven't used the Microsoft Scripting Runtime that much (scrrun.dll). Can we depend on that being available on all contemporary versions of Windows? (Anyone is welcome to answer this.)

Again, Trick, SUPER-cool stuff.

Elroy

PowerPoster

Yes, the Scripting Runtime library ships in Windows and has for ages.

These classes do different things and which to choose depends on the task.

There are some things about the Dictionary that can be inefficient such as its flawed iteration model. That retrieves a copy of Items() as a temporary array that you iterate over. Heavy use of small Dictionaries (e.g. in object hierarchies) seems to use more memory too. So you have a ton more memory allocation and deallocation going on unless you are doing trivial things.

Collection wrapper classes with efficient iteration are fairly trivial to implement. Code similar to that of the VB.Collection is widely used by Microsoft ActiveX controls anyway. Code similar to that is used in MSHTML and MSXML DOMs. If there was a batter way that made sense they probably would have used it.

There are other things about Dictionary that run in its favor. For example easy access to the Keys() array can make Dictionary easier to persist when necessary.

Both have plusses and minuses, so pick the one that fits. Sometimes neither one fits, so you either get tricky and force it or create some ad hoc alternative data structure.
    Last edited by dilettante; Aug 31st, 2016 at 01:32 PM.

Frenzied Member

@Elroy, my clsTrickHashTable has the same features as Dictionary plus additional. You can use it just add the single class.
    BTW, there is the many tree-algorithms as well. For example, when i was doing my COFF parser i needed the fast access to item using pointer. This is example:
    Code:
    ' //
    ' // Simple tree by The trick (access to item by Long index)
    ' //

Option Explicit

' // Tree node. It is used to associate objects and indices
    Private Type TreeNode
        ChildNodesIndices()         As Long         ' // Indices of the children nodes
        IsInitialized               As Boolean      ' // Determine if ChildNodes array is initialized
        ItemIndex                   As Long         ' // Item index from 1
    End Type

' // Tree item
    Private Type TreeItem
        lItemValue                  As Long
        sItemString                 As String
        ' // You can add any other values
    End Type

' // Tree object
    Private Type Tree
        NumberOfNodes               As Long
        NumberOfItems               As Long
        Children()                  As TreeNode
        Items()                     As TreeItem
    End Type

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim pTree   As Tree
        Dim index   As Long

InitTree pTree

For index = 0 To 10000

Select Case index
            Case 0:     AddItemToTree pTree, 0, CreateTreeItem(1245232, "Item5")
            Case 1345:  AddItemToTree pTree, 12345434, CreateTreeItem(123, "Item1")
            Case 112:   AddItemToTree pTree, 346235, CreateTreeItem(5, "Item2")
            Case 12:    AddItemToTree pTree, 1212342, CreateTreeItem(8, "Item3")
            Case 5674:  AddItemToTree pTree, 56456, CreateTreeItem(2349, "Item4")
            Case Else
                AddItemToTree pTree, Int(Rnd * 1241254121), CreateTreeItem(Int(Rnd * 12312), "Item" & index)
            End Select

Next

PrintItem TreeItemByKey(pTree, 56456)
        PrintItem TreeItemByKey(pTree, 1212342)
        PrintItem TreeItemByKey(pTree, 346235)
        PrintItem TreeItemByKey(pTree, 12345434)
        PrintItem TreeItemByKey(pTree, 0)

End Sub

' // Print item
    Private Function PrintItem( _
                     ByRef pItem As TreeItem) As Boolean
        Debug.Print pItem.lItemValue, pItem.sItemString
    End Function

' // Create item
    Private Function CreateTreeItem( _
                     ByVal lValue As Long, _
                     ByRef sString As String) As TreeItem
        CreateTreeItem.lItemValue = lValue
        CreateTreeItem.sItemString = sString
    End Function

' // Initialize tree
    Private Sub InitTree( _
                ByRef treObject As Tree)

treObject.NumberOfItems = 0
        treObject.NumberOfNodes = 1

ReDim treObject.Children(0)
        ReDim treObject.Items(100)

End Sub

' // Get element by key
    Private Function TreeItemByKey( _
                ByRef treObject As Tree, _
                ByVal lngKeyValue As Long) As TreeItem
        Dim pathIndex   As Long
        Dim pathItem    As Long
        Dim curItem     As Long
        Dim nextItem    As Long
        Dim nullPath    As Boolean

nullPath = True
        curItem = 0

With treObject

For pathIndex = 0 To 7

' // Get path element
                pathItem = ((lngKeyValue And &HF0000000) \ &H10000000) And &HF

' // Remove previous zeros
                If nullPath And pathItem Then
                    nullPath = False
                End If

If Not nullPath Then

' // Check if array of child nodes is initialized
                    If Not .Children(curItem).IsInitialized Then

Err.Raise 389
                        Exit Function

End If

nextItem = .Children(curItem).ChildNodesIndices(pathItem) - 1

' // Node is not allocated
                    If nextItem = -1 Then

Err.Raise 389
                        Exit Function

Else

nextItem = nextItem + 1

End If

curItem = nextItem

End If

' // Next path element
                lngKeyValue = lngKeyValue And &HFFFFFFF

If lngKeyValue And &H8000000 Then
                    lngKeyValue = (lngKeyValue And &H7FFFFFF) * &H10 Or &H80000000
                Else
                    lngKeyValue = lngKeyValue * &H10
                End If

Next

' // Check if element exist
            If .Children(curItem).ItemIndex = 0 Then

Err.Raise 389
                Exit Function

End If

TreeItemByKey = .Items(.Children(curItem).ItemIndex - 1)

End With

End Function

' // Add value to tree
    Private Sub AddItemToTree( _
                ByRef treObject As Tree, _
                ByVal lngKeyValue As Long, _
                ByRef pValue As TreeItem)
        Dim pathIndex   As Long
        Dim pathItem    As Long
        Dim curItem     As Long
        Dim nextItem    As Long
        Dim nullPath    As Boolean

nullPath = True
        curItem = 0

With treObject

For pathIndex = 0 To 7

' // Get path element
                pathItem = ((lngKeyValue And &HF0000000) \ &H10000000) And &HF

' // Remove previous zeros
                If nullPath And pathItem Then
                    nullPath = False
                End If

If Not nullPath Then

' // Check if array of child nodes is initialized
                    If Not .Children(curItem).IsInitialized Then

ReDim .Children(curItem).ChildNodesIndices(&HF)
                        .Children(curItem).IsInitialized = True

End If

nextItem = .Children(curItem).ChildNodesIndices(pathItem) - 1

' // Node is not allocated
                    If nextItem = -1 Then

If .NumberOfNodes > UBound(.Children) Then

ReDim Preserve .Children(.NumberOfNodes + 100)

End If

.Children(curItem).ChildNodesIndices(pathItem) = .NumberOfNodes
                        nextItem = .NumberOfNodes
                        .NumberOfNodes = .NumberOfNodes + 1

Else

nextItem = nextItem + 1

End If

curItem = nextItem

End If

' // Next path element
                lngKeyValue = lngKeyValue And &HFFFFFFF

If lngKeyValue And &H8000000 Then
                    lngKeyValue = (lngKeyValue And &H7FFFFFF) * &H10 Or &H80000000
                Else
                    lngKeyValue = lngKeyValue * &H10
                End If

Next

' // Check if element exist
            If .Children(curItem).ItemIndex Then

Err.Raise 457
                Exit Sub

End If

If .NumberOfItems > UBound(.Items) Then

ReDim Preserve .Items(.NumberOfItems + 100)

End If

.Items(.NumberOfItems) = pValue
            .NumberOfItems = .NumberOfItems + 1

.Children(curItem).ItemIndex = .NumberOfItems

End With

End Sub
    This code creates the path using nibbles of the key value as path components. You can change it to access to item by string key as well.

Cool stuff, Trick. Thank you!

I grabbed the clsTrickHashTable and the little demo from the link, and will take a look at it.

It's truly amazing to see some of the stuff you've dug out of VB6. I think you're the guy who should write a 100% compatible VB6 Open Source compiler.

Then, all we'd need is for someone to write an Open Source p-code interpreter (with break-points) and we'd be in business. Heck, I could learn to use Eclipse or Notepad++ to write my source code.

Well anyway, all just pipe-dreams I suspect.

You take care,
    Elroy

I guess I couldn't help myself. Based heavily on the information The Trick gave us, here's how to search a VBA.Collection sort-of-the-hard way. Logically, it does it the same way the Collection itself does it. However, it's moving memory around quite a bit more, just because that's required by VB6 to not corrupt memory.

So.... here's the code:

Code:

Option Explicit
    '

Private Type VbCollectionHeader
        pInterface1         As Long   '  Ox00 
        pInterface2         As Long   '  Ox04 
        pInterface3         As Long   '  Ox08 
        lRefCounter         As Long   '  Ox0C 
        Count               As Long   '  Ox10 
        pvUnk1              As Long   '  Ox14 
        pFirstIndexedItem   As Long   '  Ox18 
        pLastIndexedItem    As Long   '  Ox1C 
        pvUnk4              As Long   '  Ox20 
        pRootTreeItem       As Long   '  Ox24 ' This is actually a pointer to what's typically thought of as the root. 
        pEndTreePtr         As Long   '  Ox28 ' This is effectively an EOF marker for the tree (bottom of it).  It points to the end of the VbCollectionHeader (HdrPtr + &h30) 
        pvUnk5              As Long   '  Ox2C 
    End Type                          '  Ox30 ' Length. 

Data                As Variant  '  Ox00 
        Key                 As String   '  Ox10 
        pPrevIndexedItem    As Long     '  Ox14 
        pNextIndexedItem    As Long     '  Ox18 
        pvUnknown           As Long     '  Ox1C 
        pParentItem         As Long     '  Ox20 
        pRightBranch        As Long     '  Ox24 
        pLeftBranch         As Long     '  Ox28 
        bFlag               As Boolean  '  Ox2C 
    End Type                            '  Ox30 ' Length. (boolean padded to 4) 

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim c As New Collection
        Dim uHead As VbCollectionHeader
        Dim uItem As VbCollectionItem
        Dim ptr As Long
        Dim b As Boolean
        Dim vData As Variant
        Dim i As Long
        Dim s As String
        Dim sKeyToSearchFor As String

For i = 1 To 8
            s = Right$("000" & CStr(Int(Rnd * 1000)), 4)
            c.Add s & "Data", s & "Key"
            '
            If i = 6 Then sKeyToSearchFor = s & "Key"
        Next i

' First, let's just list the items in the debug window. 
        ptr = uHead.pFirstIndexedItem
        Do While ptr
            uItem = GetCollectionItem(ptr)
            Debug.Print uItem.Key, uItem.Data, "My ptr: "; Hex$(ptr)  ', "Next ptr: "; uItem.pNextIndexedItem 
            ptr = uItem.pNextIndexedItem
        Loop

' Now, we're going to search for a key in the collection, but doing it ourselves with the B-Tree. 
        MsgBox "We're going to look for: " & sKeyToSearchFor
        b = GetItemByKey(c, sKeyToSearchFor, vData)
        If b Then
            MsgBox "Data is: " & vData
        Else
            MsgBox "not found"
        End If

Unload Me
    End Sub

Private Function GetCollectionHeader(c As Collection) As VbCollectionHeader
        CopyMemory GetCollectionHeader, ByVal ObjPtr(c), LenB(GetCollectionHeader)
    End Function

Private Function GetCollectionItem(ptr As Long) As VbCollectionItem
        ' This will work for either Next or Prev, because it just uses pointer. 
        ' It will also work with the BTree pointers. 
        ' Be careful.  This does NOT check the validity of the pointer. 
        ' Index pointer will be ZERO when end has been reached. 
        ' Tree pointers will be VbCollectionHeader.pEndTreePtr when end has been reached. 
        '
        ' This is a bit tricky because we don't want to alias the Data or Key variables from the actual Collection data. 
        ' VB6 doesn't particularly like aliasing non-object variable types, particularly when one of the aliases may go out of scope. 
        '
        Dim s As String
        Dim t(0 To 4) As Long ' 20 bytes. 
        Dim i As Long
        Dim v As Variant
        '
        CopyMemory t(0), ByVal VarPtr(GetCollectionItem.Data), &H14                     ' Save original variant and string pointer stuff. 
        CopyMemory ByVal VarPtr(GetCollectionItem), ByVal ptr, LenB(GetCollectionItem)  ' Copy the structure. 
        CopyMemory GetCollectionItem.Data, t(0), &H14                                   ' Put back original variant and string pointer.  We must handle this differently. 
        '
        ' Now, get the key, borrowing another string for a moment. 
        i = StrPtr(s)                                           ' Save string pointer because we're going to borrow the string. 
        CopyMemory ByVal VarPtr(s), ByVal ptr + &H10, &H4       ' Key string of collection item. 
        GetCollectionItem.Key = s                               ' Move key into structure. 
        CopyMemory ByVal VarPtr(s), i, &H4                      ' Put string pointer back to keep memory straight. 
        '
        ' Now, get the data, borrowing another variant for a moment. 
        CopyMemory t(0), ByVal VarPtr(v), &H10                  ' Save variant data (16 bytes, including any pointers).  We're going to borrow it. 
        CopyMemory ByVal VarPtr(v), ByVal ptr, &H10             ' Copy item's variant into our temp variant. 
        If IsObject(v) Then
            Set GetCollectionItem.Data = v                      ' Put temp variant into structure. 
        Else
            GetCollectionItem.Data = v                          ' Put temp variant into structure. 
        End If
        CopyMemory ByVal VarPtr(v), t(0), &H10                  ' Put original variant data back to keep memory straight. 
    End Function

Private Function GetItemByKey(c As Collection, Key As String, vData As Variant) As Boolean
        ' Returns TRUE if found. 
        ' Returns FALSE if not found. 
        ' Returns FALSE if Len(Key) = 0. 
        Dim pItem As Long
        Dim Header As VbCollectionHeader
        Dim Item As VbCollectionItem
        '
        If Len(Key) = 0 Then Exit Function
        '
        Header = GetCollectionHeader(c)
        pItem = Header.pRootTreeItem
        '
        Do Until pItem = Header.pEndTreePtr
            Item = GetCollectionItem(pItem)
            Select Case StrComp(Item.Key, Key, vbTextCompare) ' <---- Donar's identified issue in post #1.
            Case 1:     pItem = Item.pLeftBranch
            Case 0:     Exit Do
            Case -1:    pItem = Item.pRightBranch
            End Select
        Loop
        '
        If pItem <> Header.pEndTreePtr Then
            If IsObject(Item.Data) Then
                Set vData = Item.Data
            Else
                vData = Item.Data
            End If
            GetItemByKey = True ' Found it. 
        End If
    End Function

To do it yourself, just throw the above code into a new project's Form1.

This was for rather purely academic pursuits, and my own edification. I really see little, if any, reason someone would use this, as I'm sure just using "vData = Collection.Item(Key)" is much faster. However, it was an interesting pursuit, and truly does unravel the mysteries of the VBA.Collection object.

While doing this, I did also learn that the Collection items are not always in contiguous memory. They often are. However, if you take the above code and bump up the number of random items added (while hopefully not creating a dupe, or putting in a bit of OnErrorResumeNext), you can see this in the immediate window by looking at the pointers. For me, they often skip around in memory. Each item does seem to take 88 (&h58) bytes, which is larger than the VbCollectionItem's structure. And I have no idea why this is.

I thought of writing an AddItemWithKeyToTree procedure (following The Trick's lead), but this would involve allocating memory, and I wasn't up for those details. And "Collection.Add..." works just fine.

To return all the way to the OP #1 post, I'm now convinced that his problems are all to do with idiosyncrasies in "StrComp(str1, str2, vbTextCompare)", and could be discussed entirely outside of any mention of the VBA.Collection.

Best Regards To Everyone,
    Elroy

EDIT1: I also snooped around quite a bit in the unknown sections of the VbCollectionHeader. I was hoping to find some StrComp-Compare flag (like the value of vbTextCompare), but I couldn't find anything. It seemed a logical place for it, if it existed, but no cigar (at least from me). Would have been nice though. If I truly want speed and binary keys, I guess I'll have to bite-the-bullet and use the Scripting.Dictionary object.
    Last edited by Elroy; Aug 31st, 2016 at 07:03 PM.

Frenzied Member

Elroy,
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Function VariantCopyInd Lib "oleaut32.dll" ( _
                             ByRef pvarDest As Any, _
                             ByRef pvargSrc As Any) As Long
    Private Declare Function GetMem4 Lib "msvbvm60" ( _
                             ByRef src As Any, _
                             ByRef Dst As Any) As Long
    Private Declare Function VarBstrCmp Lib "oleaut32.dll" ( _
                             ByRef bstrLeft As Any, _
                             ByRef bstrRight As Any, _
                             ByVal lcid As Long, _
                             ByVal dwFlags As Long) As Long

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim c As New Collection

c.Add Me, "key 1"
        c.Add 12345, "the trick"
        c.Add "String var", "blabla"
        c.Add 1.43534, "float"

Debug.Print ColItem("key 1", c).Name
        Debug.Print ColItem("the trick", c)
        Debug.Print ColItem("blabla", c)
        Debug.Print ColItem("float", c)

End Sub

Private Function ColItem(Key As String, Col As Collection) As Variant
        Dim lpStr As Long, Ptr1 As Long, Ptr2 As Long, sKey As String

GetMem4 ByVal ObjPtr(Col) + 36, Ptr1
        GetMem4 ByVal ObjPtr(Col) + 40, Ptr2

Do Until Ptr1 = Ptr2
            GetMem4 ByVal Ptr1 + 16, lpStr
            Select Case VarBstrCmp(ByVal StrPtr(Key), ByVal lpStr, 1, &H30001)
            Case 0: GetMem4 ByVal Ptr1 + 40, Ptr1
            Case 1
                VariantCopyInd ColItem, ByVal Ptr1
                Exit Function
            Case Else: GetMem4 ByVal Ptr1 + 36, Ptr1
            End Select
        Loop

MsgBox "Element not found"

End Function

@Trick, very nice!

It's also nice to learn about the VariantCopyInd and VarBstrCmp API functions. The VariantCopyInd is particularly nice. It saves all the gyrations I had to go through to make sure I didn't corrupt memory.

Now I'm wondering if there's an equivalent StringCopyInd function. I searched for that, but didn't find anything. The combination of those two would pretty much solve all the problems of copying a Variant or String into a VB6 variable, when all you have is a pointer.

Best Wishes,
    Elroy

PowerPoster

@Elroy A lot of API examples use SysReallocString for that.
    @The Trick. I see VariantCopyInd used a lot internally, can we assume VariantCopyInd is equivelent to
    Code:
    If IsObject(Value) Then Set Prop = Value Else Prop = Value
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Sep 1st, 2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: VarCopyInd --> VariantCopyInd

PowerPoster

@Tanner_H

From WinNls.h
    Code:
    //
    //  String Flags.
    //
    #define NORM_IGNORECASE           0x00000001  // ignore case
    #define NORM_IGNORENONSPACE       0x00000002  // ignore nonspacing chars
    #define NORM_IGNORESYMBOLS        0x00000004  // ignore symbols

#define LINGUISTIC_IGNORECASE     0x00000010  // linguistically appropriate 'ignore case'
    #define LINGUISTIC_IGNOREDIACRITIC 0x00000020  // linguistically appropriate 'ignore nonspace'

#define NORM_IGNOREKANATYPE       0x00010000  // ignore kanatype
    #define NORM_IGNOREWIDTH          0x00020000  // ignore width
    #define NORM_LINGUISTIC_CASING    0x08000000  // use linguistic rules for casing

I haven't used the Microsoft Scripting Runtime that much (scrrun.dll). Can we depend on that being available on all contemporary versions of Windows? (Anyone is welcome to answer this.)
    I refused using scrrun.dll in projects that require reliable operation because by our statistics 1 of 100 machines surely have problems like damaged reg. info, so, I had to use something like this approach, or class-analogue, like The Trick's one.

Thanks for the info, Dragokas.

I was thinking I'd probably stick to the Collection object unless something came up where I just really needed the speed.

Elroy

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    @The Trick. I see VarCopyInd used a lot internally, can we assume VarCopyInd is equivelent to
    Code:
    If IsObject(Value) Then Set Prop = Value Else Prop = Value
    I don't know that function. There are __vbaVarCopy, __vbaVargVarCopy function from MSVBVM60. VariantCopy(Ind) calls AddRef for object variables.
    If pvargSrc is a VT_DISPATCH or VT_UNKNOWN, AddRef is called to increment the object's reference count.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast