Thread: Trouble logging in?

Post Trouble logging in?

If you are having trouble logging in, then start by requesting your password. You can have a password sent using the following form:

http://www.vbforums.com/login.php?do=lostpw

Note that this form requires you to know your email address.

For more information on updating a lost password, the following article outlines the steps:

http://www.developer.com/ForumPasswordReset.html
    Last edited by brad jones; Aug 12th, 2016 at 07:50 AM. Reason: fixed link so it goes to the right forum! D'oh!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Trouble logging in?

LOTS of people are having trouble logging in. Even today, I keep getting logged out. Twice, I've lost long posts just from clicking "Post" and then it tells me that I'm not logged in. Even the back button doesn't get me back to what I had typed.

These problems are being posted all over existing threads. Please make some kind of announcement that you're in maintenance mode for a couple of days until this gets sorted.

And yesterday, I was just logged out and was completely dead-in-the-water with respect to these forums. Finally, after much rigmarole, and after being forced to reset and change my password, I got logged back in.

Regards,
    Elroy Sullivan, PhD
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

TG - here... I ended up having to create a new account just to get in. NOTHING was working... it wouldn't take any of the passwords it should have been, and then when I hit the recover password link, when I finally got the right email ... I got nothing... no email, no link... nada...

Now I've got no idea on how to get my account back.

-tg

Ok so I got a new account verified... when I tried to register last time the registration e-mail was totally different, contained no reg code, just a link to a 404'd http://www.vbforums.com/accountManag...gistrationForm

Now that I can post, I need help getting my account back. I don't remember what e-mail I used to create it, and definitely wouldn't still have access to it even if I did, too many years ago. Unless I happened to use a gmail alias I don't remember; but I don't have my original registration e-mail and wouldn't have deleted it, so that seems unlikely.

If you guys are paranoid it's not me, you can PM the 'fafalone' username on xtremevbtalk, as it's been established as me since 2010. A more serious option is that if you look in the VB6 codebank, my TaskDialogIndirect project is currently on the first page, and the cTaskDialog.cls in it was published with my (correct and current) gmail, fafalone@, and my real name- and I can timestamp a photo of my state issued ID with my name for verification.
    Thanks!

Sooooo.... for those of us that for what ever reason the rest password form doesn't work... what are the options? It's not that I do not have access to the email on the account, I just never get the email. Period.

-tg

If they were feeling really accommodating, they could reset the password and PM it to us on these temp usernames; then we could just login and change pw and e-mail.

<removed verification details>
    Last edited by fafalone4; Aug 13th, 2016 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone4 View Post
    If they were feeling really accommodating, they could reset the password and PM it to us on these temp usernames; then we could just login and change pw and e-mail.
    We do not have access to view any passwords. Even if we did, we would never email a password from one account to another account. That would violate a number of security issues.

Techgnome - if the issue is that the lostpassword form isn't working, then email the email address for the account and I'll enter it into the form (anybody can actually do that for you). The form will send the temporary password to the account associated to the email address.

If you no longer have access to the email address and are a longtime member, then email one of the admins (or you can report this post and include a comment about needing help). We can try to work with you to do a reset. We will, however, need a unique email address that works to add to the account as the system will be sending the email on the password (not us, because, again, we don't actually have access to see any passwords).

- webmaster at Developer dot. com
    Last edited by brad jones; Aug 12th, 2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Added my email
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

Sorry, but I've lost all confidence in the process and forums. I've tried three browsers, two computers, over a period of many hours... nothing. No email, nothing. So it seems the old account is lost for good. Oh well, I guess all good things must come to an end at some point.

shame

Quote Originally Posted by TechGnome42 View Post
    So it seems the old account is lost for good.
    As mentioned above, email me/us and we'll help. I just had the system send the password reminder to your TechGnome account. Please note that you'll want to update the password in your profile. Please use a new, strong password.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

Namrekka2

Hmmm.....I had to create an alt account to get in. Namrekka is not able to get in at all. Email is not recognized, password either. I did sent an email to the webmaster but no response.
    Can you check your mail? I will not make my email public here.

Namrekka

Namrekka - I swapped the email address from you new account to your old account.... I used a fake email for the new account and will delete it later.

I had the system send your a password reset email to the address that starts with in ....
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Thanks Steve. It works now.

PowerPoster

Got it sorted, thanks brad.

(and you can't read passwords, but can set them, which is what I was describing, but it's all good now)
    Last edited by fafalone; Aug 13th, 2016 at 06:21 AM.

Please note that some ISPs seem to just balckhole emails from forums, they don't put the emails into junk folders, the emails just disappear We know for a fact that this happens, and is probably why some of you have not got the password reset emails.

We know for certain that Gmail accounts are always reliable for receiving forum emails. As stated above, let us know and we'll work with you to change email addresses.
    Nick.

For better or worse, I send an email to webmaster [at] developer [dawt] com ... mixed feelings...

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by TechGnome42 View Post
    For better or worse, I send an email
    I see it now and am taking a look..... stay tuned.

Just wanted to say, got it all sorted by emailing as noted above, thanks!
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

OI! It feels so good to be back in my own skin.

Thanks Brad!

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thanks Brad!

- kgc
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

I had to create a new userID to get logged back in (original was garymazzone). When I did the forgot password/userID and submitted my email address was told the email address was unknown. Is it possible to get my old user back?

Quote Originally Posted by garymazzoneagain View Post
    I had to create a new userID to get logged back in (original was garymazzone). When I did the forgot password/userID and submitted my email address was told the email address was unknown. Is it possible to get my old user back?
    I had the system send you a password reset email to your @gmail account.

If that doesn't work - send me a PM.

All set Steve thanks
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1