Thread: [RESOLVED] VS 2008 Ex to VS 2010 Pro Upgrade Issue

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] VS 2008 Ex to VS 2010 Pro Upgrade Issue

Hi All! I hope I'm posting this in the right forum? It is a VB.Net issue. I just upgraded from VS2008 Express to VS2010 Pro and on a new Windows 10 machine. I first installed the software with the general platform because I want to start learning C++ as well as continue with VB.NET. I loaded a VB.NET 2008 project into the new VS2010 software but I can't open the form designer. I imported the full VB settings (Tools/Import Export settings) but still can't open the form designer. I can only open the code editor? The error says: "There is not editor for .vb forms. Make sure you have the proper version installed."? Before I start doing things I may regret, I thought I had better ask the pros about this issue. Can someone help me with this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: VS 2008 Ex to VS 2010 Pro Upgrade Issue

Hi DFPCNC,

Firstly I'm no expert.
    Secondly, why VS2010 and not the latest available VS2015 ?

Ok, the easy way out of your problem is to open your original project in your VS2008 (I'm assuming you still have VS2008, although it may be on your previous computer).
    Open Form1.[design] and make a note of the size of Form1 then, using 'Control' + 'A' > 'Control' + 'C' copy the whole page.

If it's on a different computer save the copy to a memory stick (or better still use HomeGroup), open a new project in the new computer, adjust the Form1's size to correspond with the original and paste the copy directly onto it.

Copy the code in a similar way...

If you'd rather keep the same project name as the original, before making your copy delete the existing, non-working, project from it's 'Projects' folder. Then open your new project using the original name.

Poppa.
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

Addicted Member

Thanks Poppa! I was afraid I would have to do that. This project has over ten forms. I guess I have my work cut out for me. Question? This project was migrated over from VB6 to VB2008 and the form design code is in a separate file than the main code. I've started new projects where the form designer put the form design code in with the main code. I'm guessing I couldn't just copy and paste that separate form design code into the main code within in form?

As I said, I'm no expert, I don't believe I've ever seen the Form [design] code in with the run-time code. You can of course generate the Form objects, size and position them at run-time but that's not the same thing.

I've never used VB6, I went straight from VB3.0 to VS2005, I'd used VB3.0 from 1993 until I retired and had the time to struggle with the new stuff. Just as a point of interest VB3.0 still worked in Windows XP and the little projects I played with back then all worked without any problems, also in Windows 7, I never went back to VB3.0 after SV2005.

If you have HomeGroup I think you could directly copy all 10 Forms without much problem, even using a USB memory stick oughtn't to take too much time, I'd suggest copying all ten at the same time. It sounds as though you have all the working code already on your new computer so that's only a matter of a direct copy.

Have you discovered that you can open files from another project directly in the project you're currently working on ? Not only program files, but in fact any file, code snippets for example. At the top left of the VS screen you will see an icon depicting an open folder, usually I think the fourth icon from the left, this icon is the one you'd be looking for.

Poppa.

Addicted Member

I can't copy the forms control contents to anything outside of the IDE. Only the run time code. There has to be another way? I miss counted my forms. There are 26 forms and 11 modules in this project. I should be able to upgrade an error free full working VS2008 Express VB.NET project into VS2010 Pro VB.NET. I will try a fresh reinstall of VS2010.

First I would test the form designer by starting a new empty VB.NET Win Forms project. Does the form designer grahically show the empty form?
    Can you add controls to it?

If the answer is yes then there is something odd about your 2008 project not the 2010 installation.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Addicted Member

Thanks Gruff! I just finished the new install before your post. I haven't tried it yet but I will start a new project to make sure everything is working.

Addicted Member

Ok. I just created a new VB.NET test project and everything is working great. So I tried to open my VB2008 project and Still can't open the form designer. When I click on the form design view I get this message:

There is no editor for this file type .vb. Make sure the application for the file type .vb is installed.

I also get 3 warnings:

Warning 1 Could not resolve mscorlib for target framework '.NETFramework,Version=v3.5'. This can happen if the target framework is not installed or if the framework moniker is incorrectly formatted. 0 0

Warning 2 The referenced component 'mscomctl' could not be found.

Warning 3 Cannot find wrapper assembly for type library "mscomctl". Verify that (1) the COM component is registered correctly and (2) your target platform is the same as the bitness of the COM component. For example, if the COM component is 32-bit, your target platform must not be 64-bit. NCManager

I guess I have to update the mscomctl also?

Hi,
    Maybe you could start by upgrading your .NET to the latest version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sear...ework&form=dlc

Scroll down to 'Support'.

Poppa.

Oh... You have got .NET Framework installed ?

Pop.
    Last edited by Poppa Mintin; Aug 7th, 2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: PS added

Poppa, It doesn't sound like a 2010 issue to me at all.

His 2008 project is causing his 2010 to barf.

If you still have 2008 Visual Studio Installed then copying the controls and code from the 2008 project to the 2010 project should work as Poppa originally suggested. Load them both at the same time. Past the controls first them the code for the form next. Otherwise your control events will get orphaned.
    (The handles clause at the end of the procedures will get dropped.)

This shouldn't take too terribly long.
    It sounds like you will have to add some references as well. Go to your 2008 properties page and see what is referenced.

Make sure your Dot.NET frameworks are the same. I do not remember if 2010 uses a different framework by default then 2008.
    Last edited by Gruff; Aug 7th, 2016 at 05:17 PM.

~T

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
    Load them both at the same time. Past the controls first them the code for the form next.
    "Paste the controls first then..." ?

That's interesting, I didn't know the .NET versions had to be the same... I've been using v4.5 for so long it's never been an issue.

I don't believe he has the VS2008 on this new computer. (Maybe we should ask, or even suggest he installs it) Ah... I just re-read the first post,
    I just upgraded from VS2008 Express to VS2010 Pro and on a new Windows 10 machine.
    Maybe the VS2008 is on the new computer, that'd make copying so much easier.

On the other hand, maybe there's a fault with the VS2008, in any case if he can't open the project's design forms he can't copy 'em !

DFPCNC, do you have the VS2008 actually on the new computer as well as VS2010? Have you upgraded the VS2008 to VS2010 so that you don't have VS2008 anywhere ?

Poppa.

I just noticed the warning about 'bitness' (!) That too is important. If your original VS2008 was 32bit and the new one is 64bit... You're gonna have problems.

Pop.
    Last edited by Poppa Mintin; Aug 7th, 2016 at 05:46 PM.

PowerPoster

First off, make sure you have a backup of your project before attempting any of the following suggestions.

When you opened the 2008 project in 2010, you should have been presented with the "Visual Studio Conversion Wizard" to upgrade the project. This will reset the required framework to Version 4. However you are getting
    Could not resolve mscorlib for target framework '.NETFramework,Version=v3.5
    Try going to: Project Menu->Proj Name Properties->Compile Tab and click on the "Advanced Compile Settings" button. If the "Target Framework" is not set to ">Net Framework 4", change that so that it does.

Warning 2 The referenced component 'mscomctl' could not be found.
    Big guess on this one.

I believe that "mscomctl" is a hold over from this starting as a VB6 project that would have been based on a 32-bit environment. The default for VS2008 is to create the project with the "Any CPU" platform set. If you are on a 64-bit Windows version this would fail as the compiled code would run as 64-bit. It should not be an issue until run the code. From the Project Properties->Compile Tab, try changing the "Platform" to X86 if it is not already set to that.

Another possibility is that you may need to install the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls.

Good luck.

Addicted Member

Hi All and Thanks for your replies! Yes VS2008 is on the old XP machine and VS2010 in on the new Win 10 machine. As TnTinMN said, the mscomctl is from VB6 Pro, which was the original origin of this project. Then update in VS2008 Express, and now to VS2010 Pro. I will try TnTinMN's suggestion before installing VS2008 on my new machine. Thanks again All! I'll get back to you with the results.

Addicted Member

Ok. That didn't work. Is my only option to install VS2008 on my Win 10 machine and cope/Paste the form controls to a new project? I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do that. Besides, if I can't cope/paste to anything outside the IDE, how would that work even if both IDE's were on the same machine? There has to be a better way?
    Last edited by DFPCNC; Aug 8th, 2016 at 01:44 PM.

I think it comes down to wherever you can get the forms 1 to 26 to show their objects so that you can copy them.

I can understand you not wanting VS2008 on your new machine.

Since it sounds as though you still have your older computer, why not install VS2010 (if you're staying with 2010, not 2015) on the old machine and convert your project in there and once you've got it converted you ought to be able to just copy the whole file to the new machine in one go.

There's no harm in having both VS's in the one machine you can run either independently.

Poppa.

PS. I think that in a couple of years time you'll want to upgrade to at least VS2015, why not do it now ?

Pop.
    Last edited by Poppa Mintin; Aug 8th, 2016 at 06:20 PM.

Addicted Member

Thanks Poppa! Perhaps in the future I will upgrade to VS2015. but for now, here's a thought! what if I create a new project and copy/paste the old form designer code into the new project forms one at a time? The code form the the import all is there. All the code is there in the new VS2010. Run time code and form designer code. I will try this in the morning. It's getting to late for me to do this now. Again, thanks for your replies. I will keep you all informed.

Quote Originally Posted by DFPCNC View Post
    what if I create a new project and copy/paste the old form designer code into the new project forms one at a time?
    Hi DFPCNC,

Isn't that what I suggested in the first place ?
    See post #2 of this thread.

Poppa.

PowerPoster

What about creating a new project, then from the Project Menu select Add Existing Item. Add your forms one at a time. You shouldn't need this, "mscomctl". If you have any old VB6 controls, replace them with .Net equivalent. That be easier than spending 3 days trying to make VB6 code work in a .Net project. If you keep using VB6 then your not really upgrading.

You can absolutely copy controls and code outside the IDE from one instance of Visual Studlio to a Second instance. I do it all the time. I've done it between different versions of Visual Studio as well.

I think what we are confused about is if you can still open your project in forms designer in 2008.
    Last edited by Gruff; Aug 9th, 2016 at 03:57 AM.

~T

Addicted Member

You can absolutely copy controls and code outside the IDE from one instance of Visual Studlio to a Second instance. I do it all the time. I've done it between different versions of Visual Studio as well.

I think what we are confused about is if you can still open your project in forms designer in 2008.
    Yes. I can open the VB2008 project form designer in the old machine. The project is error free, no warnings or messages. It runs great on the old machine. Also, I seem to have lost my VS2008 install files. I copied the folders from the old machine and paste them into the new machine but the install gets stuck at locating the file: (vcredist_32) and it tells me to insert the disk? The file is in the same folder but it doesn't see it? I downloaded VS2008 back in 2009 when I had a good internet connection. Now not so good (Too slow).

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Mintin View Post
    Hi DFPCNC,

Isn't that what I suggested in the first place ?
    See post #2 of this thread.

Poppa.
    Yes you did say that Poppa! I thought you were talking about coping the control on the face of the form. So your saying coping the form design code will do the same thing? Why wouldn't it work? It's the same thing as adding controls during run time? I have already copied all the projects code, run time code, form design code etc... I'll try that. Thanks!

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    What about creating a new project, then from the Project Menu select Add Existing Item. Add your forms one at a time. You shouldn't need this, "mscomctl". If you have any old VB6 controls, replace them with .Net equivalent. That be easier than spending 3 days trying to make VB6 code work in a .Net project. If you keep using VB6 then your not really upgrading.
    You are correct wes4dbt! The mscomctl is a easy fix, but after I get my forms to load in the VB2010 designer Thanks

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DFPCNC View Post
    ...I seem to have lost my VS2008 install files.
    Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition ISO

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 (iso)

This isn't normally an issue. I've moved lots of applications from 2008 to 2010. Therefore, what you are experiencing is not a normal situation and something is causing that. You do appear to have done a pretty good job of determining that both 2008 on the old system and 2010 on the new system are installed correctly and working properly. That leaves the project itself as being the issue. I would certainly be suspecting the holdover VB6 stuff, as others have suggested. I didn't fully read all the previous comments, so this may have been covered, but you might try creating a new project and use Add Existing to bring in one form after another. Even if you had a couple dozen forms, this would only take a few minutes...if it worked, but it won't work or else you wouldn't have to do it at all. The thing is that many forms will likely come in fine, but some forms won't come in at all, or will be brought in, but will fail to compile because of a bunch of missing references. That would be great, because you could deal with just those forms that have problems. If it is missing references that is the issue, you'd then be able to identify which items are causing trouble. If they are VB6 holdovers, you can just change those.

Keep in mind, that the form designer will fail for all the forms that come in with errors. That's ok, as long as you have the .designer.vb file, because you can edit that directly. Once it has no errors, then the designer will work again...maybe...actually, now that I think about it, the project I'm working on currently has a form that simply won't show in the designer, despite there being no errors. That's because it uses XNA, though, and some of those controls won't render correctly.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Whenever I see XNA I think ixnay.

As someone who tried to import and compile vb6 programs I can tell you that the sooner you rewrite your projects as fully VB.NET projects the quicker your porting issues will go away.

Yes I know the old projects seem large and it's difficult to remember how they worked in great detail. This is just one of those cases where you have to bite the bullet and do the work and Yes rethinking the project from scratch is better than trying to prop up the VB6 code with crutches.

In my case having to imagine my code in VB6 terms and then re-imagine it in VB.NET on every edit caused a lot of confusion on my part.

Basically I removed my Microsoft Visual Basic reference and namespace from the IDE. This forced me to learn the Dot.NET tools.

Speaking of which. My redesigned projects turned out to be about half the size of my old VB6 projects. They were much easier to understand, had fewer hidden errors and reused code better. (Classes can be of great help in reducing size and complexity)

IMHO trying to keep a foot in both worlds while working in Dot.NET is a huge mistake.

~T

Addicted Member

Ok, I did what Shaggy Hiker said and used (Add Existing) to load all the forms, modules, settings and resources into the IDE. At least now the form designer recognizes all the forms. Not all of the forms show because of errors in the designer code like how I handled control arrays and as Gruff said, all the VB6 references. So I am in the process of editing the VB6 code and references to VB.NET and changing how I handle control arrays. I will also have to edit all of this in the form designer code. I'm beginning to see a very small light at the end of the tunnel and at least I don't have to start from scratch. This is going to be a good learning curve for me. Thanks again for all your help!

Smiles: Let's hope that light's not the headlamp of an on-coming train!

Poppa.

Addicted Member

Ok. I've decided the best way to fix this issue is to recreate all the forms in my project and then copy/paste the run time code into each form. So far so good but with some strange warnings. I'm getting a few form designer error's (Value can not be Null. objectType) with no file name, line number or column number info or error location? Some of the forms don't display after adding and editing the code. But after all editing is done I click (Ignore the Designer error and Display Form). This seems to work and gets rid of the errors and everything works fine but when I reload the project, the errors are back? Other then that, all is going well.

Are they errors or warnings? There is a difference.
    What does it actually say? Pretty hard for us to guess.

~T

Addicted Member

Are they errors or warnings? There is a difference.
    What does it actually say? Pretty hard for us to guess.
    My apologies Gruff! They are warnings with no lead to what or where they occur. The warning reads: "Value can not be null. Parameter name: objectType". Some of my forms do not open in the designer after restarting VS2010. In the form designer error page, I click [Ignore error and open form designer] which works and removes the warnings for the duration of the programming session. They reappear after restarting VS2010?

Normally warnings do not stop you from compiling or running,
    but they will keep popping up until you resolve them.

Open your project. Select Quick Find from your edit menu.
    In the find dialog change the settings to search entire solution.
    enter ObjectType and see if it finds a parameter by that name.

If not I suppose it could be telling you that you are not supplying a parameter of type object somewhere in your code. If you double click on that specific warning does it open up the file and place the cursor on the issue?

In my current SQLite Editor project I have a warning.
    When I double click it it opens the file containing the issue.
    and underlines the problem with a blue squiggle.

In this case I have an object that might not get instantiated
    due to if nesting. To fix the issue I needed to use new in the declaration.
    Name:  Warning.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  25.0 KB
    Last edited by Gruff; Aug 29th, 2016 at 04:02 PM.

~T

PowerPoster

Couple of things, you could make sure you actually have .Net 3.5 installed if you want to target that platform, or fix/repair it.
    When you copied over your files, are you sure you got everything? The form content is often in a separate file from the code, make sure you get everything!

Addicted Member

I found the problem. There was a [Inherits: System.Windows.Forms.Form] within the Form Classes in all the forms that was carried over from the VB2008 project. After removing them and all the unnecessary [Imports], the warnings went away for good. Everything is working fine now. Thanks for all your help!

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] VS 2008 Ex to VS 2010 Pro Upgrade Issue

[Inherits: System.Windows.Forms.Form]
    I also had a program that I had to delete the obj/bin folders to compile it and the problem started when I did some testing on Inheriting a form. I wonder why that statement causes so much trouble. I'm surprised no one on the Forum has an answer. You don't stump these people very often.

??? I don't think I've ever tried to make a class that inherits from a form.
    Usually I create all my forms and dialogs at design-time in the form graphics deisnger and create instances of them at run-time if I need them.

Guess I'll have to give it a try.

~T

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I also had a program that I had to delete the obj/bin folders to compile it and the problem started when I did some testing on Inheriting a form. I wonder why that statement causes so much trouble.
    That troublesome statement is in the code of every WinForm created that is not a direct instance of System.Windows.Forms.Form.

The logic of concluding that the statement
    Code:
    Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form
    "causes so much trouble" because something went awry in the VS IDE after you used it (probably along many other code statements) is akin to to concluding you should never write any code because the Cosmic-Boogy-Man shall smite you and all your progeny for invoking his holy incantations.

Accept the fact that IDE is not bullet proof. Occasionally it becomes unstable and its stored state objects need to be cleared. You need to understand that when you are performing a visual design layout that the things you drop on that layout are being loaded into memory and parts of their defining code are run. If you are changing that underlying code at the same time it is loaded by the designer, occasionally something bad happens.

PowerPoster

"causes so much trouble" because something went awry in the VS IDE after you used it (probably along many other code statements) is akin to to concluding you should never write any code because the Cosmic-Boogy-Man shall smite you and all your progeny for invoking his holy incantations.
    This is an insulting statement and has nothing to do with the meaning of my post. Like most preaching done on this site, it's by people who love to hear the sound of there own voice.
    A programmer is suppose to "wonder what causes" something.