Thread: [RESOLVED] To understand button click event.

Hybrid View

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] To understand button click event.

I have a button and only one. I saw the code.
    Code:
    Private Sub cmdSomething_Click(Index As Integer)

Select Case Index
        Case 0
            Label1(8).Visible = True
            Label1(7).Visible = True
       Case 1
            Label1(8).Visible = False
            Label1(7).Visible = False
    When I click the button the Index is always 0, how can I let the Index is 1?

Lively Member

Re: To understand button click event.

You have to click on cmdSomething(1).

You have only the 1st button of a button array so it has the array index of 0.

Since you only have one button then it's index is 0 by default. You need at least two buttons. So copy the button you have and paste it to make a second button and VB will make it cmdSomething(1). If you paste again you will get cmdSomething(2), etc etc

This is the simplest explanation I have. Others will drop in here later and give you the full details and explain how the entire control array system works
    Last edited by On Error Try Again; Aug 2nd, 2016 at 04:47 PM.

Re: To understand button click event.

Say zhshqzyc,

Yes, OnError has explained it. This is called a Control Array, which isn't to be confused with an Array-of-Controls. An Array of Controls would be something like an object variable declared as "Dim obj(1 To 5) As Object" and then using that to "Set" a bunch of control into it.

Whereas a Control Array is something you create at design time. In fact, every time you copy-paste a control on a form (that hasn't been previously arrayed), it attempts to create a Control Array for you with the following message:
    Name:  ControlArray.gif
Views: 789
Size:  7.7 KB

By default, these Control Arrays start indexing at 0, just adding 1 for each new control. However, using the control's "index" property, you can index them any way you like, even skipping index values.

Regards,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.