Thread: program icon

Frenzied Member

program icon

How can I use the application icon used by vb.net when no icon is set?

PowerPoster

Re: program icon

What are you talking about? What do you mean by use and what do you mean by no icon is set?

I think he means he wants to display that particular icon somewhere else.
    codesearcher:
    Nothing is stopping you from using the Windows Snipping tool to capture the icon and cleaning it up to 16x16 in Windows Paint.
    Since it is the default icon I do not imagine there would be any copywrite infringement.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

PowerPoster

I wouldn't bet on that.

Microsoft has some pretty liberal licensing terms for images bundled with various VS tools as well as add-on "image packs" but they require things like development using their tools and attribution, indemnification, and requiring similar terms of end users of your programs.

The language prohibiting reverse engineering might be considered to rule out snagging images or extracting resources entirely.

Basically: don't do it.

The question in my mind is who would ever want to.
    It isn't exactly the Mona lisa.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

PowerPoster

Assuming I read the question correctly I'd say the goal is to try to make it look like his VB6 program is a .Net program. If that's the case the entire adventure sounds dubious at best.

codesearcher,

Why do you want it to be the "default" icon. It seems that that would take some hacking of the VB6.exe file, as that's where the default icon is (as far as I know). Here are all the icons in the VB6.exe program:
    Name:  VB6 Icons.gif
Views: 186
Size:  24.2 KB

I've highlighted the one I think you're talking about. You'd need to go into the VB6.exe file with some resource editor tool and replace it.

However, why don't you just do as Gruff suggests in post #3, and then place that icon on any new forms you create via the properties window.

IDK, but in my humble opinion, it doesn't seem like a good idea to be hacking at the VB6.exe program file.

Regards,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

If you do replace an icon in VB6.exe I'd suggest using one with the same exact set of sizes/colors.