Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Picturebox does not work in windows 7

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Picturebox does not work in windows 7

I registered the Ocx files with no results.

still get

Object does not support
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Sinecure devotee

Re: Picturebox does not work in windows 7

I wasn't aware that a picturebox had a particular ocx file that had to be registered.
    I've installed VB6 multiple times on various Win7 computers (and I believe one home Win10 machine) that I use, and as long as I ran the install as Administrator, I've never had to do anything special to do the install of VB and the install the MSDN library files that came with VB6.
    I only have the standalone VB6 professional, and not the full Visual Studio 6 suite, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I'll second what passel says.

My main development machine is a Win7-64-bit machine, and the VB6 IDE has run fine on it for years, with MUCH use of the PictureBox. I've never had a problem with it.

Also, yes, the PictureBox is a built-in control, with no need to worry about registering any OCX control.

I have several licenses of the VB6 IDE, some Studio and some not. I've installed both, using the VB6-SP6 or the VS6-SP6 after they were installed. The PictureBox has always been a bullet-proof control.

Some suggestions for Dbee. First, make sure you have the Service Pack 6 installed. They're free, and here's a link to them in case you need them:

The VB service pack: http://motionlabresources.org/VB60SP...v2-x86-ENU.msi

The VS service pack: http://motionlabresources.org/Vs6sp6B.exe

Secondly, if none of this works, how about giving us more details about what your problems are.

Regards,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Sounds like you have loaded a project on a machine which does not have one or more OCX used by the project installed/registered properly.

VB will change those controls to picture boxes after giving you an error and writing to a log.
    If you save the project then those picture boxes will be saved and whatever was supposed to be there will be gone.
    The code for whatever replaced ocx will almost always have some call to a method or property that is not part of a picture box so that is the error you get.

Check your folder for .log files and it should point you to the troublesome control(s)

Ohhh, and by the way, Dbee. DOS isn't old. CP/M and TRSDOS are old.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

i still remember DOS 6.22 like it was yesterday.

PowerPoster

I actually still have a copy of DOS 6.22 been a while since I used it though

My first actual PC came with Dos 2.1 and some graphical addon. I forget what it was now. I am thinking it was called GEM but I also had something like that on the C64 so I may be wrong on the name.

Pfff, you guys are youngsters. I've still got a copy of a CP/M box for running on an 8080 8-bit processor.

Just for fun, here's something I did a while back:
    http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/la...080)-2157.html

EDIT: And of course, for the Zilog Z80 as well:
    http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/la...z80)-2158.html

Last edited by Elroy; Jul 26th, 2016 at 02:36 PM.

PowerPoster

CP/M does not ring a bell.

I'm not quite sure what my first real PC CPU was. I would think it was an 8086 but can't be sure. I know it had dual 5 1/4 FDDs CGA and 512megs of ram

DataMiser,

It may have been an 8088. 16 bit internal CPU bus, but only an 8 bit external bus. It duplexed data into the CPU through two clock cycles.

That's the processor that was in all the IBM-PCs and all the clones, until the IBM-AT came out, which had the true 8086 processor in it. It was actually a 80286 processor, which was just faster than the 8086. AT&T is the only company that made a PC based on the 8086 that I know of (but I'm sure there were others).

If I'm not mistaken, all the 8088 machine code (and forward) will execute on contemporary machines. However, just don't try to make old DOS calls into the OS, or you'll be in trouble.

But I'm strolling down memory lane too much.

Y'all take care,
    Elroy

Hyperactive Member

I am running this vb6 in windows10

Get same error in windows 7

Eform.Listor(1).ListItems.Clear

Where Eform is name main form

Listor(1) is the first Picturebox where I put all data

Now this is the window that I put in 750 items out of an access data base

I get the error "object does not support method or member"

Now this worked fine in XP
    Last edited by Dbee; Jul 26th, 2016 at 06:14 PM. Reason: MORE INFO
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Hyperactive Member

By the By I am 73 wrote this program in 2002

If you want some code I can give you that too.
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Ok, DataMiser hit the nail on the head in post #4.

The PictureBox control doesn't have a ListItems property/collection.

The ListView is the only control I'm aware of that DOES have this property/collection.

The ListView DOES require an OCX file. It's the MSCOMCTL.OCX file.

What has happened is that, on your Windows 10 machine, this MSCOMCTL.OCX file is missing (or possibly not correctly registered). Therefore, when you loaded your VB6 project on the Windows 10 machine, it couldn't find MSCOMCTL.OCX, so it listed it as "missing" in your components list (VB6_menu/Project/Components.../Controls). And it also replaced all those ListView controls with Picturebox controls.

If you subsequently saved your VB6 project, it made those replacements permanent in that copy of your source code.

The solution:

Find the MSCOMCTL.OCX file. Put it in your SysWOW64 folder (on your Windows 10 machine). Register it with regsvr32. Get a fresh copy of your VB6 project from your older machine. And then try again.
    Last edited by Elroy; Jul 26th, 2016 at 06:33 PM.

Also, if your running Windows 10 32-bit, you'd put the MSCOMCTL.OCX file into your S y s t e m 3 2 folder than your SysWOW64 folder. But I suspect you're running Windows 10 64-bit.

Best Of Luck,
    Elroy

p.s. Sorry, but I'm having mild connection problems.
    Last edited by Elroy; Jul 26th, 2016 at 06:39 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Ok dumb question can you give me the regsvr32 method for this. Thanks sound dumb don't I LOL.

Will have to get a copy off one of my XP drives.
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Sinecure devotee

Right click on cmd and select Run as Administrator.
    Copy the ocx file to the SysWOW64 folder.
    With your cmd window in the SysWOW64 directory, type regsvr32 MSCOMCTL.ocx in the command window.
    Hopefully is should report it successfully registered the ocx.

Yep, Passel's got it for you.

Hopefully the regsvr32.exe program is on your Windows 10 machine, and it's in your environment path, so that it'll be found from wherever you are.

Also, I was sort of thinking/hoping that you're just always running your Windows 10 machine in an administrator mode. You'd definitely need to be in an administrator mode (what some people call "elevated") to get the .OCX control to register correctly.

Regards,
    Elroy

Hyperactive Member

I am new to windows 7 and windows 10

I have ran windows XP for years Did most of my programming in windows XP

It has been hard for me to adapt to the new stuff.

I wrote most of my programs for a business I had.

I was into acess data base programming but that is years past.

As of now windows 10 is strange bird.

I have been trying for a month to get VB6 working on windows 7

Thanks got long winded
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Hyperactive Member

Sub Listor_Load()' 'Loading form
    Dim ListObj As ListItem, Stat$
    Eform.Listor.ListItems.Clear 'Where error shows up at.
    Eform.Listor.ColumnHeaders.Clear.Listor3
    For T = 1 To Freq' number of customers
    Set ListObj = Eform.Listor.ListItems.Add(, , " " + Trim(Datas(T, 1)))
    'Debug.Print Datas(T, 2)
    ListObj.SubItems(1) = Trim(Datas(T, 2))
    ListObj.SubItems(2) = Trim(Datas(T, 3))
    ListObj.SubItems(3) = Trim(Datas(T, 4))
    Next
    Set Eform.Listor.SelectedItem = Nothing
    Eform.Listor.HideSelection = True
    End Sub

Like I said worked fine in XP
    Last edited by Dbee; Jul 26th, 2016 at 08:34 PM.
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Sinecure devotee

DataMiser already explained this, perhaps not verbosely enough, and Elroy has added the remedy, which I'll reiterate here as well.

If you install VB6 on a newer machine and don't get all the "extra" controls (.ocx files) properly installed, when the IDE opens the project, it can't create the missing control (it can't even draw it, since how to do that is part of the control).
    So, what the IDE does in this case, is create a log file (in addition to telling you it had a problem finding the control) to note the problem, and in place of the control it can't create or draw, is substitutes a picturebox, which is one of VB6s internal controls so will always be available.
    That way you have a "dummy" control that is located on the form with the appropriate name, size and location, so you know what the name, location and size of the missing control.

Since the stand-in is a picturebox, and not the control you want, it won't be able to do the things that the missing control could do, which is why you will get errors in the code that try to use the missing control. The "dummy" picturebox stand-in for the control can't do that.

If you save the project, with the dummy picturebox stand-in, then you've made the picturebox a permanent substitute for the control you really want.

The fix as already stated, is to get the ocx for the missing control(s) installed properly. This might just be a matter of reinstalling VB6 properly, but it might be "patched", by installing the needed ocx files.
    Once you have the control ocx available, then you need to go back and get a good copy of the original project, not one that you saved with the picturebox stand-ins.
    Once you open a good copy of the original project, and the needed controls are available, the IDE should be able to open the project without error, and you'll be good to go.

p.s. As I mentioned, I haven't had an issue with the VB6 install on newer machines.
    If the installation CD/DVD AutoRuns, I exit out of the dialog, and find the Setup executable on the CD/DVD. I right click on it and select "Run as Administrator", then install normally. I don't do database or web development, so I opt out of some things when doing the install, so that might have helped my never having any issues with the install, but as far as I know, everything I need is installed and hasn't given me an issue (although I don't do a lot in VB6 anymore, so I'm not taxing the development environment by any means).
    Last edited by passel; Jul 27th, 2016 at 08:39 AM.

Dbee,

My primary development machine is running Win7-64-bit, and the VB6 IDE runs absolutely fine on it. I've also installed it on a Win10-64-bit machine I have and it works fine on that as well, although the installation was a bit weird. There are other threads that address some of that. However, it seems like you're beyond just getting the VB6 IDE to run.

It doesn't seem like you're reading the advice in some of the above posts. But I'll quickly outline it again.

From what you've posted, it appears that you're definitely using a control called "ListView". In other words, when your project was originally developed, this was a control that you added to your Toolbox of controls via the Project/Components area of the VB6 IDE's menu. More specifically, you added the MSCOMCTL.OCX component to your project.

Now, the problem you're having is that this MSCOMCTL.OCX file doesn't seem to be correctly registered on the machine you're now using. If you're running a 64-bit version of Windows, this control should be in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder. If you're running a 32-bit version of Windows, it should be in the C:\Windows\System~32 folder. (Note, there's no tilde in that folder name. The VBForums don't like S y s t e m 3 2 as a word, so I had to do that to post here.)

But that's not all to the story. In addition to being in these folders, this MSCOMCTL.OCX file must be "registered" on the machine. In other words, there have to be some entries in the registry about how this MSCOMCTL.OCX file is used. To do this, you typically use a program named REGSVR32.EXE. Hopefully, this REGSVR32.EXE program is already on your computer, with its location in your Windows environment path (so that it'll run from anywhere). If it's not, you'll also need to get a copy of that program (possibly from your Windows XP machine). You could just place this REGSVR32.EXE program in the same folder with the MSCOMCTL.OCX file. Once this is sorted, you would register your MSCOMCTL.OCX file by opening a CMD prompt, navigating to the correct folder with CHDIR, and then type the following:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64>regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx
    or
    C:\Windows\System~32>regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx

If it's successfully registered, you should get a little dialog box that tells you that it was. Once that's done, your ListView controls should start working correctly. However, you probably need to get a fresh copy of your source code for your project, so that the ListView control hasn't already been replaced with the PictureBox.

I just don't know what else to say. I think I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread now, but best of luck with it.

Elroy

Sinecure devotee

regsvr32.exe is normally found in both System*32 and SysWOW64 directories, but are different versions, e.g. on the win7 machine I'm on right now, the one in System*32 is 19KB and the one in SysWOW64 is 15KB in size.
    The one in SysWOW64 is the one you need to run to register a 32-bit file, which is why I mention changing the cmd window to the SysWOW64 directory and then running regsvr32.exe, which will run the one in the local directory before searching the path.
    If you don't do this, you'll likely run the wrong one and the registration won't work.

p.s. I'm not sure about Windows 10. I'll need to remember to check at home to see if I've installed VB6 on my Win10 machine. The win10 machine is just a laptop that I bought to replace my old XP laptop when XP was no longer supported, and is not my primary development machine, but just a convenience to have available when watching TV, lookup incidental spur of the moment things (I don't have a smartphone), and take on trips. If I was on a forum, and wanted to check some VB6 thing out, I might have installed VB6 on it, but I can't remember for sure if I have.
    Last edited by passel; Jul 27th, 2016 at 08:58 AM.

Hyperactive Member

I put listview on picturebox and yes I did register the OCX and got a confirm that it was OK.

But no cigar still get the same error.

I like you going to give UP. Just can not remember all the code fixes.

The code I posted was for filling the picturebox

Trying to get me a COMPUTER with XP on it.

Think a month of trying is enough.

I do want to thank all for you advice.
    Last edited by Dbee; Jul 27th, 2016 at 10:34 AM.
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Hyperactive Member

Let me ask this

Is there another way to run listobj or listview.
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Dbee View Post
    The code I posted was for filling the picturebox
    No, the code you posted was for filling the ListView.

You don't want to put the ListView on the picturebox.

You need to delete the picturebox surrogate and add a ListView with that name, in place of the picturebox that the IDE added in place of the missing Listview, if you're going to try to fixed code that has been modified.
    If you had an original copy of the code without the picturebox modification that the IDE did, you wouldn't have to do that.

Hyperactive Member

The code without the picturebox modification does not exist

Looks like a rewrite is in order for windows 7 and 10

Can Not for the life of me remember where I worked on this routine

Its slowly coming back

But thanks again for your help

I assume the the IDE did this. Is that correct
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Sinecure devotee

Yes. If the IDE can't find an ocx for a control, it doesn't know how to draw the control, so it informs you that it is missing.
    It then puts a picturebox as a place holder for the control, so you still have most of your important information (the size and location of the control, its name and all code that refers to it). It really doesn't expect you to compile the code, or save the code, since it most likely will not work.
    It just allows the IDE to come up and be able to show the form, and you to see and investigate.

If you saved the project, then you've written undesirable changes back to your files.
    This was explained in post #20.

You may be able to recover by removing the picturebox (the placeholder), and adding a listview control with the proper name in its place.
    You have to load the controls from the components list (Project: Components: Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6), or something similar) to get access to the Listview control (along with other Microsoft "common" controls).
    Last edited by passel; Jul 27th, 2016 at 12:51 PM.

PowerPoster

If these Common Controls OCXs (mscomctl.ocx and comctl32.ocx) are not already registered it suggests that VB6 was never installed properly. There are probably tons of other things waiting to blow up like exploding cigars in much the same way. The usual issue is failing to run the installation process elevated.

Dealing with that after the fact can be messy. However there are other threads here on that topic.

I don't know if this update will work if you have failed to install VB6 SP6, and it may also turn up its nose at your broken VB6 installation:

Update for the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls: mscomctl.ocx and comctl32.ocx

This package updates two Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls: mscomctl.ocx and comctl32.ocx to address the issues described in the KB articles noted in the Related Resources section on this page.

This package will not install these Common Controls if they do not already exist on the target system. This package cannot be uninstalled.

Hyperactive Member

I installed that service pack6 but did not register both of them.

Tell me why in windows 7 the program does not want to act like it did in XP.

Like I said been working on the problem for almost 2 months.

Is it because IDE does not work.
    Last edited by Dbee; Jul 27th, 2016 at 01:29 PM.
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Sinecure devotee

Tell me why in windows 7 the program does not want to act like it did in XP.
    If you don't have the original code, then it won't work in XP either.
    Somewhere along the line, when moving to windows7 apparently, VB6 wasn't installed properly.
    The improper installation allowed you to damage the code.
    Now the code isn't usable anywhere, XP or otherwise, until you fix the code.

Have you replaced the picturebox control with a ListView Control yet?

Hyperactive Member

Working on that since picture box no longer works.

What the program did was create a column listing, then fill the columns with the data

Then you could select the column line, so that you could to extract the data from that line in the column.

The reference from that column line was the extraction pointer for the data base.

Now the listview does not work like that for me

Listview will not let me create a header as to what is in the list.

There has to be a work around for this.

Like i said picture box was just a container. I did the over view with listview object.
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Sinecure devotee

Working on that since picture box no longer works.
    I'm sure the picturebox works fine for what it is designed for, i.e. drawing on, displaying images, or serving as a container.
    If you were using a picturebox as a container, then I would expect you now to have a picturebox inside a picturebox, the one inside, named Listor, being the one that should be replaced with a ListView named Listor.
    Listview will not let me create a header as to what is in the list.
    Did you select or set the View property of the ListView to lvwReport?
    I've never used the ListView control in VB6, so was just looking at some examples from MSDN, and it seems you have to select a view mode of "Report" to have the column headers display.
    I've also seen the case where someone selected a ListBox control, instead of a ListView control when adding it to the form. I'm assuming you didn't do that.

It seems like some of your code must have been modified incorrectly because the line

Eform.Listor.ColumnHeaders.Clear.Listor3

doesn't make any sense to the compiler. The ColumnHeaders Property doesn't have a method named Clear, and why there would be .Listor3 attached to the clear. The code may have had cut/copy/paste issues in the past that have mangled some lines, creating non-valid statements, in addition to missing control issues.
    Last edited by passel; Jul 27th, 2016 at 05:31 PM.

PowerPoster

Could be that he is using a 3rd party listview in that project and that it is not installed on that PC.

Hyperactive Member

Went to the xp machine and loaded all of the files.

Then when I try to run the program I get these errors

Line 334: Class MSComctlLib.ListView of control Listor was not a loaded control class.
    Line 1338: Class MSComctlLib.ListView of control Listor was not a loaded control class.
    Line 1372: Class MSComctlLib.ListView of control Listor was not a loaded control class.
    Line 1772: Class MSComctlLib.ListView of control Listor was not a loaded control class.

I thought you did not have to register any thing with lib files

When I ran this program On XP, Picture box was listview. But that turned to picturebox on windows 7.

Because Listor was a listview

How do you register it.

Went back to windows 7. Did not like windows 10
    Last edited by Dbee; Jul 27th, 2016 at 08:58 PM.
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Pfff, you guys are youngsters. I've still got a copy of a CP/M box for running on an 8080 8-bit processor.

Just for fun, here's something I did a while back:
    http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/la...080)-2157.html

EDIT: And of course, for the Zilog Z80 as well:
    http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/la...z80)-2158.html

I don't think CP/M will even run on a modern PC, and not because it's not fast enough. You see Intel x86 processors have a different instruction set than whatever computers used to have that ran CP/M. Unless somebody has managed to translate the source code for CP/M to x86 assembly code so as to be able to compile it to work with modern Intel chips, then you are out of luck if you want to run it on a modern PC. I think the 8080 has an instruction set that is too different from x86 to be able to run on modern PCs, without the translation I described.

Hyperactive Member

Going To owe you a big cup of coffee. LOL
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Hyperactive Member

Runing Windows 7 on a DELL OPTIPLEX 780 WINDOWS XP IS ON A DELL OPTIPLEX 755

May be the core 4 computer problems
    Last edited by Dbee; Jul 27th, 2016 at 09:15 PM.
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Hyperactive Member

That is the reason I come up the the picture box problem in the first place.

Conversion in windows 7 of XP program.

Thought picture was the problem.
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Hyperactive Member

Will not let me register it.

I loaded and installed it. service pack 6 that is
    Don
    (OLD DOS Programmer)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben321 View Post
    I don't think CP/M will even run on a modern PC...
    I can promise that it absolutely will. I've done it on multiple occasions.

EDIT3: You know what? I must admit that it has been a while since I've done this. Last time was on a WinXP machine. I've just always felt like anything that would run on WinXP would also run on modern stuff. Heck, maybe I'll do it again and do some GWBasic programming. Haha, wait, I didn't go back far enough. That'd be MBASIC. I wonder how far I can push the Visual Basic 6 and Earlier.

I'm not at home, so I don't have "easy" access to my Synology NAS box, which is where all my archive stuff is, but here's a link to what I believe is the emulator I've used many times: http://www.microcodeconsulting.com/z80/z80pd.htm

Specifically, I believe you'll need the myz80111.zip package. If this is something you're truly interested in, let me know and I'll check my archives when I get home (in two weeks).

Truth be told, I don't know if this takes a pure "interpreter" approach for every 8080/Z80 OP-code, or whether it tries to natively run some of the code on contemporary processors. I suspect it may take a pure "interpreter" approach. However, if I remember correctly, most 8080 and Z80 chips were running somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 MHz. The IBM-PC took us to 4.77 MHz. Contemporary machines are running at well over 1 GHz (a 1000 times faster, at least). Therefore, there's PLENTY of time to "interpret" 8080/Z80 machine OP-codes into something that'll more easily run on contemporary CPUs.

As an aside, I loved the 8080 Assembler op-code set. You could take a couple of days and have the entire op-code set relatively easily memorized. Add another day or two for learning how to make calls into the CP/M OS and you were all set to be an assembler programmer.

Actually, Ben, I'm not totally positive. However, with a bit of setup to deal with getting a chunk of protected memory, and limiting it in size so you don't have to worry about any memory paging, I do believe that the old 8086 machine code will execute on contemporary CPUs. But again, I'm not crystal clear on that point. (Notice I said 8086, and not 8080. Yes, the 8080 op-code set is certainly a thing of the past.)

Regards,
    Elroy

p.s. Dbee, I see you're still plugging away at it. If this program isn't anything proprietary, why don't you consider ZIPping and posting the whole thing here. I'd be delighted to download it, unzip it, and see if it runs on my machine. If you do this, PLEASE make sure it's a copy that hasn't been saved from after you had problems. It MUST be a version of the source code that you haven't been messing with.

EDIT: Also Dbee, be sure to NOT include the compiled .EXE file in your ZIP file. If you do this, the forum moderators will relatively quickly delete it. Nothing but ASCII/ANSI source code is allowed to be posted in these forums in any form (attachment or not).
    Last edited by Elroy; Jul 27th, 2016 at 10:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast