Thread: SQL Server 2012 connection error

Lively Member

SQL Server 2012 connection error

Hi all,

I can add the SQL server to my 'Server Explorer' and 'SQL Server Object Explorer' very easily by entering the server name and selecting that the server uses 'Windows Authentication'.

However, when i try connecting to it through Visual Basic (Windows forms application) i get an error. Just to see if i can get a connection i use the following code: -

Code:
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Public Class Form1

Private Sub btnConnect_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnConnect.Click

Try
                Dim myConn As SqlConnection
                myConn = New SqlConnection("Data Source=Solution;Initial Catalog=DataWarehouse;Integrated Security=True")

myConn.Open()

MsgBox("Connected Succesfully…")

Catch ex As Exception

MessageBox.Show(ex.Message, "Error")

End Try
        End Sub
    End Class

But i get the following error every time.
    Name:  Error.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  41.9 KB

My IT Department cannot figure it out, and i have tried everything i can find online like:-
    • Making sure "Allow remote connections to this server" is enabled
    • Checking all the SQL services are running
    • Make sure the Client Protocols are Enabled in SQL Server Configuration Manager

Now im all out of ideas.

Any suggestions on things to try would be great.

Thanks in advance
    Chris

Re: SQL Server 2012 connection error

Are you able to see the tables connecting through SQL Server Management Studio?
    More important than the will to succeed, is the will to prepare for success.

Please rate the posts, your comments are the fuel to keep helping people

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaliman79912 View Post
    Are you able to see the tables connecting through SQL Server Management Studio?
    Hi Kaliman,

Yes can see all Tables and Views fine through SQL Server Management Studio

a couple of notes.

* If you are using the same computer where the SQL server is located then there is no risk with the remote connections being accepted or not.
    * The error message is specific to the name of the server, it is not finding any server with that name. You can omit the part for the initial catalog and the integrated security, if the server was ok then it would find it.
    * Are you sure you are not using a named instance? if that is the case, the name of the server should be something like: SERVER\INSTANCE

CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

If you can get into SSMS - then right-click the SERVER in the OBJECT EXPLORER and you will see a clickable link in the lower-left that says "Show Connection Properties".

Make a screen shot of that popup and post it here.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    If you can get into SSMS - then right-click the SERVER in the OBJECT EXPLORER and you will see a clickable link in the lower-left that says "Show Connection Properties".

Make a screen shot of that popup and post it here.
    Name:  Connection Properties.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  88.5 KB

No named instance, the Connection string looks good. Are you trying to connect with VB from the same computer where the server is? or at least from where you are using SSMS?

Lively Member

No named instance, the Connection string looks good. Are you trying to connect with VB from the same computer where the server is? or at least from where you are using SSMS?
    Yes the same computer I am using SSMS on. Our IT department setup the server, problem is none of them have used VB.net and SQL server together so they cant really help me. As long as Visual Studio and SSMS connect they are happy. That's why I am stuck.

I suggest you do this: Add a datasource to your project and then look at the connection string it generates. It will be under Project Properties - Settings

Project - Add New Datasource

Select "Database" - "DataSet" - New connection.

From there just select your server and database. The connection string will be visible there also

Lively Member

I suggest you do this: Add a datasource to your project and then look at the connection string it generates. It will be under Project Properties - Settings

Project - Add New Datasource

Select "Database" - "DataSet" - New connection.

From there just select your server and database. The connection string will be visible there also
    It comes out exactly as it is in my connection code above

Data Source=Solution;Initial Catalog=DataWarehouse;Integrated Security=True

I test the connection and i get "Test connection succeeded."

OK, it's official, you have a weird situation.

I see you blocked out the username...

Please verify that it is DOMAIN\USERNAME

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Also - try this

In a .bat file I can have this line

Code:
    runas /netonly /user:domain\username "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe -S server.name.goes.here -d "

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Try putting the name of the server in single quotes

Data Source='Solution'

Also change your connection string to have this instead of YES

Integrated Security=SSPI

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I see you blocked out the username...

Please verify that it is DOMAIN\USERNAME
    I think this is not relevant using windows authentication

Also change your connection string to have this instead of YES

Integrated Security=SSPI
    This is also irrelevant regarding the exception at hand. You can omit the whole Integrated Security part of the connection string and if the server name is correct, you will get a different exception. I suggest you do not mess with other things until the resolving of the server name is fixed.

I had not seem the post that made the server name be the issue - where is that?

If that is the case just change it to the IP address

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I had not seem the post that made the server name be the issue - where is that?

If that is the case just change it to the IP address
    It is the very first one. The error message is that it cant find the server. If the Initial Catalog is wrong but the server is oK, or the integrated security is omitted or wrong you will get a "Login failed for user" error, not a "server not found".

Try using a connection string just as this:

Code:
    Data Source='solution'

I think this is not relevant using windows authentication
    I becomes important when "combined" with the running of SSMS through the .BAT file.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

It is the very first one. The error message is that it cant find the server. If the Initial Catalog is wrong but the server is oK, or the integrated security is omitted or wrong you will get a "Login failed for user" error, not a "server not found".
    Did we resolve the PIPES error - isn't named pipes turned off in the latest of MS SQL versions??

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Still, if wrightyrx7 can connect with SSMS, and directly creating a connection with the Add Data Souce wizzard, then there is nothing wrong with the pipes. Also, this is SQL 2012

Lively Member

Also - try this

In a .bat file I can have this line

Code:
    runas /netonly /user:domain\username "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe -S server.name.goes.here -d "
    I tried the .bat file and it opened the server fine in SSMS.

Try putting the name of the server in single quotes

Data Source='Solution'
    Same error message

Try using a connection string just as this:

Code:
    Data Source='solution'
    Same again.

Is it time for me to admit defeat?

The thing that is confusing me is that its only failing to connect when using vb.net and not when I add the server/data source to Server Explorer/SQL Server Object Explorer. And also connects fine through SSMS. I can even pull data from tables and views through to Excel and Access.

So strange...

Lively Member

Update guys....

I downloaded Visual Studio 2012 express and used the same code - Connected fine!

Im stumped!!

Guess I will just have to use this version instead of my Visual Studio Enterprise 2015

not logical. but surely there is something wrong there.

What I was about to suggest is that you create a new project, add a dataSet, put a datagridview automatically with a table from the dataset and run it. If it does run, then change the connection string in runtime. That could give us some indication on where to go next.

Lively Member

not logical. but surely there is something wrong there.

What I was about to suggest is that you create a new project, add a dataSet, put a datagridview automatically with a table from the dataset and run it. If it does run, then change the connection string in runtime. That could give us some indication on where to go next.
    Hi Kaliman,

Not sure if you seen my last update. But it is working in VS2012. So im guessing something was setup incorrect when VS2015 was installed.

So i am currently waiting for VS2015 to install then I am going to install it again.

Yes, I did read it. But you are right. A clean install may be what you need. I use 2015 Enterprise and never seen that behavior.

Lively Member

Yes, I did read it. But you are right. A clean install may be what you need. I use 2015 Enterprise and never seen that behavior.
    Another strange thing I have just noticed.

I created 3 projects in 2015 trying to figure this out. Taking different approaches.....and as we know they didnt work because of this forum post.

When I open these 3 projects in 2012 they give me the exact same error I was getting in 2015. But when I create a new project in 2012 and use the exact same code..it works.

Lively Member

Well.....the outcome is......a reinstall worked!

It will puzzle me as to why it didn't work. But at least i can not get on with my work.

Just want to thank you all for taking the time to reply with your suggestions. Although them things wasn't the problem for me, I am sure someone else will find your suggestions useful.

Thanks again
    Chris