Thread: Convert Javascript Safari extension code to a standalone app

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Convert Javascript Safari extension code to a standalone app

Several years ago using monkey see, monkey do techniques I was able to develop a Javascript Safari extension which I used to enter text into the textarea of a Safari page. I got a developer certificate and it worked great until Apple changed the rules and I now have to reinstall my extension into Safari every time I reopen it, or pay $99/year. Can I create a standalone Javascript app that will do the same thing?

Re: Convert Javascript Safari extension code to a standalone app

What did this extension do for the textarea?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Oh - it does this on a page you do not host yourself - so you would be looking to inject some JS into a page loaded from the regular world-wide-web.

I believe that is not possible.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

If it was my own web page - I would include a .JS script with a function that attached to all textarea's and did the appropriate text mods.

I cannot see how you would get that same function into a web page that you did not host - thus did not serve up - the .JS scripts for.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

If it's just for you, you could convert the extension into a userscript? Tampermonkey would be one option for this, although I've never run userscripts on browsers other than Firefox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greasemonkey
    CSS layout comes in to the 21st century with flexbox!
    Just another Perl hacker,