How Best to organise different data?-VBForums

Thread: How Best to organise different data?

Question How Best to organise different data?

Hi all,

I am about to create an application to playback recorded data.

The data is held in zip files, each with a text file for serial data (wind speed and direction, position etc), there will be multiple PNG files for screen captures and also up to 10 WAV files for sound recording.

I have to create the application to unzip the requested time period to playback, and then store the data in some fashion, to allow playback, jump forwards and backwards, speed up and slow down, also an ability to recover peiords of the text data and add to a graph (chart) for comparison.

What are peoples thoughts on this, i started looking at having the data in tables (i completed a course many years ago on relational databases but dont remember too much about it), could the sound files an images be added to these??

If anyone has any ideas on how i should proceed the input would be very

Regards

Stu

Frenzied Member

Re: How Best to organise different data?

Quote Originally Posted by stulish View Post
    Hi all,

I am about to create an application to playback recorded data.

The data is held in zip files, each with a text file for serial data (wind speed and direction, position etc), there will be multiple PNG files for screen captures and also up to 10 WAV files for sound recording.

I have to create the application to unzip the requested time period to playback, and then store the data in some fashion, to allow playback, jump forwards and backwards, speed up and slow down, also an ability to recover peiords of the text data and add to a graph (chart) for comparison.

What are peoples thoughts on this, i started looking at having the data in tables (i completed a course many years ago on relational databases but dont remember too much about it), could the sound files an images be added to these??

If anyone has any ideas on how i should proceed the input would be very

Regards

Stu
    You are asking a question that ultimately has many opinions depending on the software being used and implementation. I typically store the actual files on the file system and then store a relative path in the database. In your instance you would create a one-to-many relationship...

A RecordedDataSummary Parent Table, with a relationship to many records or "pieces" that make up the details of each file to be associated with the recording, linked by a PK in the RecordedDataSummary table.

Re: How Best to organise different data?

Quote Originally Posted by jayinthe813 View Post
    You are asking a question that ultimately has many opinions depending on the software being used and implementation. I typically store the actual files on the file system and then store a relative path in the database. In your instance you would create a one-to-many relationship...

A RecordedDataSummary Parent Table, with a relationship to many records or "pieces" that make up the details of each file to be associated with the recording, linked by a PK in the RecordedDataSummary table.
    Thanks,

Yeah i realise there are many different ways, i was just trying to get some thoughts before starting. The application would run as a desktop application on a PC and the recorded files would be on the PC (not on a server).

Cheers

Stu