Thread: [RESOLVED] Unable to connect to vbforums

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Unable to connect to vbforums

Hello, I am in the UK and until Monday I have had no trouble connecting to VBF (VB6 & earlier) at all. Since then I cannot connect via Google Chrome, Edge or I.E. I have flushed the DNS and tried changing the DNS from Google to OPEN DNS and then to automatic settings, nothing has worked. I have cleared the cache and removed all cookies. I emailed a friend who lives about 10 miles away and asked him to try - he connected immediately. I have tried all of my many bookmarks and they all work as usual except VBF.

Because my friend connected I tried downloading a VPN. Once it connected I went to my chrome browser and pushed the VBF button and here I am. I realise this should really be for an admin, but even though I've been a member since 2007, I have no idea how to contact one.

So the questions are 1) Have I been mistakenly banned (Steve Grant) - 2) Is my ISP blocked (PlusNet) - 3) Is there perhaps some other reason for it not working.

Many Thanks - Steve.

Re: Unable to connect to vbforums

The Feedback forum works too! You can also always email me at bjones <at> quinstreet <dot> com. That's not an easy address to remember, but it works.

We'll need to look into your questions. I've asked the other admins to check out what might have happened.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

What is/was the error message that you were getting when you tried to connect?
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

IPs don't appear to be banned on our side, nor is the email address. I'm not sure the issue is on our side. Has your ISP blocked VBForums? If you can get to the site on a VPN, but not when you are off the VPN, then it kind of sounds like your ISP or local server is blocking us.

Fanatic Member

I wrote to Brad telling him I was now back on OK and that I hadn't done anything my end. I had phoned Plusnet and asked about VBF being blocked, but they assured me it wasn't. I've just learnt from my neighbour that the power went off yesterday afternoon. I don't leave my PC switched on but the Fibre router is always on. Could something have been reset in there? Can the router block just one URL? Everything seems normal so if I hadn't just had a chat with my neighbour, I wouldn't have known about the power.

There are too many variables to know for sure what might have happened. While I'd like to say we fixed something our side, we didn't.

I'm glad it is working. If it happens again - or to more people - then we can begin to dig deeper. Having said that, it is good to track that the glitch happened, so if it does happen again we know it is not the first time!

Fanatic Member

Many thanks - Steve.

Re: [RESOLVED] Unable to connect to vbforums

I still have a lot of problems accessing VBForums, I have to refresh a page sometimes 5 times to get it... A lot connection time outs during the page loading.
    As if some external content can not be accessed.

Often the pages are shown without the forum images, are the images loaded from a different source?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    I still have a lot of problems accessing VBForums, I have to refresh a page sometimes 5 times to get it... A lot connection time outs during the page loading.
    As if some external content can not be accessed.

Often the pages are shown without the forum images, are the images loaded from a different source?
    If this happens, see if anything is showing in the status bar (if you have the status bar showing). It might indicate what is trying to load. For example, if you have an ad blocker running (for shame if you do!), then you might be blocking URLs that the forum is trying to load and this causing some of the delays.

If you can see what is in the status bar - the URL - that can help us determine if it is something on our side.

If you are using a school, corporate, or other network that is not your own, then they too might be blocking URLs.

Brad!

Most problems on my phone (iPhone 5s) and on the iPad, which don't run adblockers or whatever.

I use Chrome on my laptop, no statusbar, only a statusbar like tooltip text saying "Verbinden..." ("Connecting...")
    Is there some other method to see which part of a page is currently loading?

At the office I don't encounter any of the named problems at all.
    So it must be something with the provider I use at home.
    Just if I had a clue how to analyze this...