Thread: Writing to Excel using ADO OLE DB in vb.NET

Writing to Excel using ADO OLE DB in vb.NET

I have found that manipulating Excel files using Excel Automation in vb.NET can be slow at times, particularly if you read/write data cell by cell. So I am now on an upward path trying to learn to use OLE DB and connection strings to write data to an Excel file. I have hit a bit of brick wall at present .... I have some code that works when you write known data values to a row in Excel. I am trying to write some data captured in textboxes and then passing this data to the Excel file via ADO OLE DB ... here is what I have :

Private Sub cbWriteToCodesFile_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cbWriteToCodesFile.Click

'writes to the CodesList.xlsx file using OLEDB

Dim FolderNamePath As String
    Dim CdStr As String
    Dim YrStr As String
    Dim NameStr As String
    Dim HseStr As String
    Dim PlStr As String
    Dim PtsStr As String

FolderNamePath = My.Settings.HSICCFolder & "CodesList.xlsx"

'read the text box values to write these into the Excel file
    CdStr = tbCode.Text
    YrStr = tbYr.Text
    NameStr = tbStudentName.Text
    HseStr = tbHse.Text
    PlStr = tbPlace.Text
    PtsStr = tbPts.Text

Try
    Dim MyOLEDB As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection
    Dim myCommand As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
    Dim sql As String

MyOLEDB = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" & FolderNamePath & ";Extended Properties='Excel 12.0;HDR=NO;';")
    MyOLEDB.Open()
    myCommand.Connection = MyOLEDB

sql = "INSERT INTO [Codes$] (F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6) values ('9714','7','BNT','Sam JONES','12','209')" '<<<----- this WORKS !
    myCommand.CommandText = sql
    myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

sql = "INSERT INTO [Codes$] (F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6) values (CdStr,YrStr,HseStr,NameStr,PlStr,PtsStr)" '<<<<-----this DOES NOT work !!!!

MyOLEDB.Close()

LbWriteMessage.Text = "The code " & " was added to the CodesList.xlsx file on " & DateTime.Now.ToLongDateString & " at " & TimeOfDay
    Catch ex As Exception
    MsgBox(ex.ToString)
    End Try

End Sub

Any ideas how I can achieve this ...

Re: Writing to Excel using ADO OLE DB in vb.NET

What does "this DOES NOT work !!!!" mean? Is there a particular error message? Did you hover over the variables to look at the contents? Sometimes we assume a value when it may not be what we think.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    What does "this DOES NOT work !!!!" mean? Is there a particular error message? Did you hover over the variables to look at the contents? Sometimes we assume a value when it may not be what we think.
    Here is the error message : No value given for one or more required parameters. The line I indicated where it works ... this is written into the Excel file successfully, but the error is generated at the line I indicated.

The syntax seemingly does not like the variables for the strings that are captured in the text boxes.

The error message (generated by the line I indicated) is : "No value given for one or more required parameters".
    The first line DOES work since it puts the data in a row of the said Excel file.

Welcome to VBForums

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery View Post
    sql = "INSERT INTO [Codes$] (F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6) values ('9714','7','BNT','Sam JONES','12','209')" '<<<----- this WORKS !
    sql = "INSERT INTO [Codes$] (F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6) values (CdStr,YrStr,HseStr,NameStr,PlStr,PtsStr)" '<<<<-----this DOES NOT work !!!!
    The first one works because you are passing values to Excel (via ADO).

The second one doesn't work because you are passing the names of variables that only exist inside your code, so Excel and ADO have no idea what you mean.

The safe way to pass values from variables etc is to use Parameters, and assuming the data type of your variables etc is the same as the field you are putting the values into (which seems to be the case here), you can use .AddWithValue, eg:
    Code:
    sql = "INSERT INTO [Codes$] (F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6) values (@CdStr,@YrStr,@HseStr,@NameStr,@PlStr,@PtsStr)"
    myCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@CdStr", CdStr)
    myCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@YrStr", YrStr)
    myCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@HseStr", HseStr)
    myCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@NameStr", NameStr)
    myCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@PlStr", PlStr)
    myCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@PtsStr", PtsStr)
    (note that as you are using ACE, the order you add the parameters should be the same order as they appear in the SQL statement)

Thanks ... I will try this and get back to you. Time for me to sleep now (12:35 am). It looks like it will work though.

Frenzied Member

If you want to write faster to an excel file try a third party library based on openxml. I had some extreme write operations that were cut down exponentially.

I have VS 2010 ... how do I get access to openxml ?

Frenzied Member

The easiest way is to use an existing library. I use EP Plus (http://epplus.codeplex.com/). Do some timings and see if it helps you at all. The best part is, you only need to do minor modification to make it work with existing excel objects code.

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

If you want some working samples to try out, see this MSDN code sample. Project 6 uses standard connection and command operations while project 8 uses DataAdapter methods. I did this in VS2013, if you download the solution it should load in VS2010 and if not simply go to "Browse code" tab and look at the code. Unless you are performing many inserts at once there is no need to use Open Office xml sdk.

Many thanks for this advice .... it is greatly appreciated that so many here provide advice.