Thread: [RESOLVED] Errors after reinstall laptop

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Errors after reinstall laptop

Hello all,

I reinstalled my laptop but now my program gives a lot of errors. It is still windows 7 but now it is 32 bit version and not a 64 bit version anymore (had to install a different version of windows since the old 1 had problems with the webeditor of the work website and the 32 bit was all I could get on at that moment). Also installed the same office 2010 except ofcourse the 32 version .NET Framework 4.5.2 is installed and don't think it will mather a lot but the same visual studio is installed. Visual Studio runs good but my program I was working on now gives me there errors. Can someone please help me? This is way above my knowledge.

The program has a connection with excel 2010. And the program worked good on the old windows.

Warning 5 Cannot find wrapper assembly for type library "DAO". Verify that (1) the COM component is registered correctly and (2) your target platform is the same as the bitness of the COM component. For example, if the COM component is 32-bit, your target platform must not be 64-bit. Rooster programma

Warning 1 Could not resolve mscorlib for target framework '.NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client'. This can happen if the target framework is not installed or if the framework moniker is incorrectly formatted. 0 0

Warning 4 Could not resolve mscorlib for target framework '.NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client'. This can happen if the target framework is not installed or if the framework moniker is incorrectly formatted. 0 0

Warning 3 The referenced component 'DAO' could not be found.

Error 2 Unable to find manifest signing certificate in the certificate store. Rooster programma

Re: Errors after reinstall laptop

Windows 7 32 bit has a known "feature"(aka - bug) that ignores any exceptions that occur in the Form Load event. When debugging programs on this particular OS, either wrap your Form Load code in a Try/Catch or move it to the Form Shown event.

As per your specific error, did you check if the COM component is actually 64-bit when it should be 32?
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I thought the problem was with windows 7, 64 bit.

When you created your program on your older version, you added a reference to your previous excel assembly, that one was 64 bits. You do not need to change anything in the code. But remove the reference to office, and add the one in your new operating system.
    More important than the will to succeed, is the will to prepare for success.

Please rate the posts, your comments are the fuel to keep helping people

You don't want to know.

For warnings 1 and 4: check the target framework property of your project. It's trying to use the .NET 4.0 Client Profile. You may or may not have that installed.

For error 2, you had some signing certificate installed on the other computer, and now it's not. You need to figure out what it was and install it.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Lively Member

Thank you for your answers. I can't remove the reference (if I am at the right place to do it: Properties of the program, tab References) because I get the error 1 + 4 there too. Also the tabs Resources, Services and Settings give that error.

As for error 2: I now remember creating a test certificate which I never found out how to delete it.

Sitten Spynne: Also thanks for the tip. I tried installing .NET 4.0 Client Profile but I got the message that I already have the same or higher version installed.
    Last edited by THIEF15; Jun 21st, 2016 at 05:55 PM.

Try showing all the files in the Solution Explorer, expand the references and delete it there

Lively Member

Kaliman79912 thank you for the solution. That indeed made it work. I deleted the excel reference and the DAO and it looks like it is running good again. Just hope that the DAO isn't important to the program.

If it is, just add the reference again with the assemblies you have now and you should not have any problems.

Re: [RESOLVED] Errors after reinstall laptop

DAO is pretty old technology. It was pretty dated by the time VB6 came out in 1998, though there were reasons why it was still being used (it was fast). However, even people still working with VB6 techniques of database access in .NET generally don't use DAO, so you may well be safe without it.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing