Thread: [RESOLVED] creating a gap between a highlighted word and a contextmenustrip

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] creating a gap between a highlighted word and a contextmenustrip

I am creating a gap between a highlighted word and a contextmenustrip. My contextMenu is abstracting the item I want to replace so users cannot see what they are changing. This is creating a lot of problems for me. How can you do this? Here is my code:

Code:
                For Each replacement In replacements(checkWord)

ContextMenuStrip1.Items.Add(replacement.ToLowerInvariant, Nothing, Sub(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
                                                                                           RichTextBox1.SelectedText = GetWordWithOutBracketedText(kamau)
                                                                                       End Sub)
                Next

ContextMenuStrip1.Show(RichTextBox1, RichTextBox1.GetPositionFromCharIndex(RichTextBox1.SelectionStart + RichTextBox1.SelectionLength))

Re: creating a gap between a highlighted word and a contextmenustrip

Not excatly sure what you need to do in your case but heres a couple snippets I copied from my code bank that might give you some ideas,..

Code:
    Dim pt As Point = Me.PointToClient(TextBox1.PointToScreen(TextBox1.GetPositionFromCharIndex(TextBox1.SelectionStart)))
    pt.Y += TextBox1.Font.Height
    ContextMenuStrip1.Show(PointToScreen(pt))
    Code:
    ' Show panel under selected word in RTB
    Private Sub MnuReplace_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MnuReplace.Click
        ' get location of selected word in RTB on the screen.
        Dim pt As Point = Me.PointToClient(rtbCode.PointToScreen(rtbCode.GetPositionFromCharIndex(rtbCode.SelectionStart)))
        ' Check X location, make sure panel wont overlap right side of form.
        If pt.X + PanelReplace.Width > Me.DisplayRectangle.Right Then
            pt.X = Me.DisplayRectangle.Right - PanelReplace.Width
        End If
        ' Set Y location, if panel placed under word will it overlap bottom of form?
        If pt.Y + TextRenderer.MeasureText(rtbCode.SelectedText, rtbCode.Font).Height + PanelReplace.Height > Me.DisplayRectangle.Bottom Then
            ' panel would overlap bottom of form so adjust Y above selected word.
            pt.Y -= PanelReplace.Height
        Else
            ' Set Y so panel is under the selected word.
            pt.Y += TextRenderer.MeasureText(rtbCode.SelectedText, rtbCode.Font).Height
        End If
        ' move panel into place.
        PanelReplace.Location = pt
    End Sub

Lively Member

I was saying, when the suggestion appears, it appears next to the word on the right side, thus preventing the other words to be replaced from being seen! It should appear below that sentence not on the same sentence at the side. Do you understand better now?

If you are replacing the words: The whole thing should be erased

With: The whole concept should be erased.

The contextMenu will only allow you to see: The whole thing, but should be erased.

This is what is causing the problem here! It should appear at the next line instead of appearing on the Right side of the same sentence! Can you help me with that please? I can practically do nothing!

Give this a try. It assumes that RichTextBox1.ContextMenuStrip is set to ContextMenuStrip1.

Code:
        Private Sub ContextMenuStrip1_Opening(sender As Object, e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles ContextMenuStrip1.Opening
            Dim pos As Drawing.Point = RichTextBox1.GetPositionFromCharIndex(RichTextBox1.SelectionStart)
            ContextMenuStrip1.Show(RichTextBox1, pos, ToolStripDropDownDirection.AboveRight)
        End Sub
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Quote Originally Posted by nqioweryuadfge View Post
    It should appear below that sentence not on the same sentence at the side.
    Thats what my first example shows how to do,

Code:
        ' show context menu under the start of selected text.
    With RichTextBox1
        Dim pt As Point = Me.PointToClient(.PointToScreen(.GetPositionFromCharIndex(.SelectionStart)))
        pt.Y += .Font.Height ' * Assuming all text use same Font/Height!
        ContextMenuStrip1.Show(PointToScreen(pt))
    End With
    EDIT: replace code
    Last edited by Edgemeal; Jun 18th, 2016 at 02:40 PM.

Personally I think the contextmenu is a poor choice for this kind of operation.

If I were doing it I would use an always on top form to display the selections and have it popup at a fixed (but redefinable) position. It would also allow you to move it out of the was should you need to do so.

Just sayin...
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Lively Member

So, how do we go about creating this popup Box?