Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VB Multithread Library (Generic Multithreading)

Re: VB Multithread Library (Generic Multithreader)

And Krool, another suggestion, but I haven't thought this one out completely.

Scenario: After last SyncCallback event, I may want to trigger main thread events/actions but want the thread released immediately. If I call those actions from the SyncCallback event, thread is help up (synchronous after all).

Solutions? Maybe a terminate event can be raised after the thread is killed. But additionally, passing a value to that event that is set inside the SyncCallback event. Maybe your ThreadCancelBoolean idea can have another property (variant, user defined)? And that value is passed to the terminate event? As a workaround, I was considering a timer event or PostMessage type event (asynchronous). However, a terminate event with optional value would be ideal I think.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    If passing a string is not much overhead, I suggest to identify each threads with a name.

Code:
    Implements IThread

Private Sub Form_Load()
        CreateThread "BackgroundWorker1"
        CreateThread "BackgroundWorker2"
    End Sub

Private Sub IThread_AsyncProcedure(TheadName As String, asSyncCallback As IThreadSyncCallback, Cancel As ThreadCancelBoolean)

End Sub

Private Sub IThread_SyncCallback(TheadName As String, Argument1 As Variant, Argument2 As Variant)

End Sub
    And about the names, I vote for Lavolpe's suggestion of BkgThreadProcedure and MainThreadProcedure. I think they are more intuitive.
    What is 'CreateThread'. A public module function?
    I think the "Thread.Create Me, 'Key123' " is the way I prefer.

Also if "Thread.Create Nothing" is passed it could be still event driven? Thus the "Owner As IThread" could be optional?
    So it would be possible to have either way. Everyone can decide to provide a Owner or use the Events. Of course the 'Key' param would be valid in both scenarios.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    I think the "Thread.Create Me, 'Key123' " is the way I prefer.
    OK.

Also if "Thread.Create Nothing" is passed it could be still event driven? Thus the "Owner As IThread" could be optional?
    So it would be possible to have either way. Everyone can decide to provide a Owner or use the Events. Of course the 'Key' param would be valid in both scenarios.
    Good idea to have both interfaces, then I would make the name parameter optional and also the Owner.

PowerPoster

Yes, the idea was to have that function in a GlobalMultiuse class of the component, and that it returns a Thread object.

If the developer doesn't need to have a reference to the Thread object, he can just call the function without holding any reference to the returned object.

PowerPoster

I got the IThread to work now in my new 1.1 version. (work in progress)
    Code:
    Public Sub AsyncProcedure(ByVal Key As String, ByVal SyncCallback As IThreadSyncCallback)
    End Sub

Public Sub SyncCallback(ByVal Key As String, ByRef Argument1 As Variant, ByRef Argument2 As Variant)
    End Sub
    The Create function looks now as following:
    Code:
    Public Function Create(Optional ByVal Owner As IThread, Optional ByVal Key As String) As Boolean
    When Owner is Nothing, then the normal Events of the Thread class will be raised. The Key param is ignored in this case, only used when Owner is passed.

Concerning the Terminate function, I have included an Optional Wait parameter. (Default is False)
    Code:
        If Wait = False Then
            If TerminateThread(PropThreadHandle, dwExitCode) <> 0 Then Me.FClear
        Else
            While TerminateThread(PropThreadHandle, dwExitCode) = 0
                Sleep 200
            Wend
            Me.FClear
        End If
    In my testings there is no difference if Wait is True or not, the success is immediately.
    However, I have read some documentations that TerminateThread just kicks in a scheduler which does the task, so there can be some delay in it...

About the namings (Events/IThread interfaces) I am still struggling with myself.

Question. MSDN says TerminateThread is a last resort, similar to End in the exe. Should ExitThread be used instead? You probably already tested that, but I am curious as to why TerminateThread was used vs ExitThread?

Additionally, do you have the GetExitCodeThread and TerminateThread calls in the current class Terminate event in the wrong order? I ask because GetExitCodeThread would return the exit code passed to TerminateThread/ThreadExit which indicates those would be called first. Additionally, if GetExitCodeThread returns "STILL_ACTIVE" then thread has not yet terminated.
    Quote Originally Posted by msdn
    GetExitCodeThread return valueThis function returns immediately. If the specified thread has not terminated and the function succeeds, the status returned is STILL_ACTIVE. If the thread has terminated and the function succeeds, the status returned is one of the following values:
    The exit value specified in the ExitThread or TerminateThread function.
    The return value from the thread function.
    The exit value of the thread's process.
    Edited: Maybe Terminate Event is a bad idea after all? Why? It's like calling End while subclassing.
    Also, I was trying to figure out how to get the AsyncProcedure to prematurely abort and forgot about your example using a public form-level variable within the AsyncProcedure event. However, I still could not unload the form while the threads were active. So needed to find a way to test when they were terminated. As mentioned several posts ago, using a DoEvents loop testing for Terminate event to return true resulted in crashes. So I set the global variable and tried a DoEvents loop testing to see when the thread's ID became zero and crashed again. The solution that did work, was to cancel the unloading, set the public variable and activate a timer. In the timer event, I just waited until the thread ID became zero then triggered Form_Unload. That worked every time without crashing.
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Unload(...)
        If BackgroundWorker.ThreadID <> 0 Then
            gAbortAllThreads = True ' tested in the AsyncProcedure & aborts that routine early if set
            Timer1.Enabled = True  ' 10 ms timer
            Cancel = 1
        Else
            .... do clean up
        End If
    End Sub
    Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
        If BackgroundWorker.ThreadID = 0 Then
            Timer1.Enabled = False
            Unload Me
        End If
    End Sub
    So now, I'm questioning myself whether DoEvents can crash the IDE while multi-threading.

If you missed it, can you review post #41 also (only if you are still going to provide a Terminate event)?

Regarding names of the raised events and those of the interface, hmmm... Can you not call them the same? They will be on different classes (thread.cls and IThread.cls). That is a guess, never designed a class that would do both.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Apr 23rd, 2017 at 07:58 PM.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

About terminating a thread, from the client point of view, wouldn't it be that you simply have to exit the Asynch procedure and the thread would terminate naturally?

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    About terminating a thread, from the client point of view, wouldn't it be that you simply have to exit the Asynch procedure and the thread would terminate naturally?
    Yes, but the question is how to do that prematurely. How to abort that routine without causing a crash in IDE. And then the thread may not be terminated immediately, but slightly delayed which can crash the IDE if unloading before that happens. But if no SyncCallback being used, how to abort AsyncProcedure early?

Edit: Answer... public variable at form level. Appears that can be placed in the AsyncProcedure and tested. I missed that point. Krool's sample project includes such a case using the DialogClosed public variable. I edited my previous post to reflect this. The timer solution, for unloading form while threads are active, worked quite well. Just FYI. Doing so, the timer fired from 3 to 9 times before the thread was terminated. This count is likely partly due to the Sleep calls in the AsyncProcedure.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Apr 23rd, 2017 at 07:50 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Yes, but the question is how to do that prematurely. How to abort that routine without causing a crash in IDE. And then the thread may not be terminated immediately, but slightly delayed which can crash the IDE if unloading before that happens. But if no SyncCallback being used, how to abort AsyncProcedure early?

Edit: Answer... public variable at form level. Appears that can be placed in the AsyncProcedure and tested. I missed that point. Krool's sample project includes such a case using the DialogClosed public variable. I edited my previous post to reflect this. The timer solution, for unloading form while threads are active, worked quite well. Just FYI. Doing so, the timer fired from 3 to 9 times before the thread was terminated. This count is likely partly due to the Sleep calls in the AsyncProcedure.
    A timer or a loop with Sleep.
    How do you know when all threads (or each one separately) have really finished?

PowerPoster

I'm thinking that in the case of the implementation interface, it shouldn't be a problem, because the component holds a reference to the caller object (form or class), and if the component doesn't release this reference until after the background thread ends, the main thread won't finish until then.

Am I right?

PowerPoster

Question. MSDN says TerminateThread is a last resort, similar to End in the exe. Should ExitThread be used instead? You probably already tested that, but I am curious as to why TerminateThread was used vs ExitThread?

Additionally, do you have the GetExitCodeThread and TerminateThread calls in the current class Terminate event in the wrong order? I ask because GetExitCodeThread would return the exit code passed to TerminateThread/ThreadExit which indicates those would be called first. Additionally, if GetExitCodeThread returns "STILL_ACTIVE" then thread has not yet terminated.

Edited: Maybe Terminate Event is a bad idea after all? Why? It's like calling End while subclassing.
    ExitThread can only be called from the AsyncProcedure itself and not from the "outside". Ofcourse we have the access to the AsyncProcedure that's why I already plan to make a "soft terminate" with a Cancel Boolean.

About GetExitCodeThread. According to TerminateThread MSDN it is a _In variable and the value must be passed by GetExitCodeThread.
    I guess it must be called before. (?)
    And perhaps it can be called after to confirm/check the status. Maybe I can amend my While...Wend wait to check by another GetExitCodeThread call? (will check/test this later)

PowerPoster

@LaVolpe: alarm bells went off when you mentioned GDI+ and multithreading...

The GDI+ API is mostly thread safe, but the objects themselves need to be synchronized manually (which you already knew)

but even then I still wouldn't recommend it.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...e-resizing-net

Sooner or later, with multi-threading in-process GDI operations, you'll run into deadlocks or completely random failures. After escalating one example to Microsoft PSS, they acknowledged corruption of the stack/heap due to some race conditions, but no real solution.

@Dex. Thanx for the heads up. Another, likely more robust, solution would be to pass the image data vs the handle. This can be accomplished by retrieving the ARGB array from the handle, passing that array for complex processing, then returning the array to update that handle or create a new handle from that array. If creating the handle in a bkg thread, likewise, could pass the array to main thread for creation of image and bkg thread could destroy/release the created source handle. Not sure whether it's safe to use the same GDI+ instance created in the main thread or whether the bkg thread should start/stop GDI+ if it will be loading the image. Lots of tests needed and more research.

PowerPoster

So I decided now to completly abandon the regular events. All will be in the IThread interface. Thus the Owner argument is mandatory in the Create function.
    The interface looks now as following:
    Code:
    Public Sub BackgroundProcedure(ByVal Key As String, ByVal StatusCallback As IThreadStatusCallback)
    End Sub

Public Sub StatusCallback(ByVal Key As String, ByRef Argument1 As Variant, ByRef Argument2 As Variant)
    End Sub
    BackgroundProcedure is the routine in the background thread.
    StatusCallback is the routine in the main thread, mainly used to give a status update from the background thread, e.g. progress percentage etc.

I also included a 'SyncMode' property. (Default is False)
    When set to True, this does allow to safely set breakpoints in the background routine, and perform debugging.
    So typical usage could be then:
    Code:
    If InIDE() = True Then BackgroundWorker.SyncMode = True
    Note that all of this information is still 'Work in Progress', only for information.

Fanatic Member

I also have the idea of bringing up a 'ThreadCancelBoolean' class which has a Value Boolean property (default property) that is passed along 'AsyncProcedure'.
    Kind of "AsyncProcedure(SyncCallback As IThreadSyncCallback, Cancel As ThreadCancelBoolean)
    In the Thread class there would be a Cancel method to make a 'soft terminate'.
    So in the AsyncProcedure there could be an "If Cancel = True" be included by the coder to bring the AsyncProcedure faster to it's end.

Concerning the description. I do find Async.. and Sync.. already as self-explained? Or?
    if i want 50 threads to download 50 files. how can i set files address to each thread? and monitor each file download progress?

You want 50 threads at the same time? Why not have 2-4 threads and download them in a queue?
    What will you gain with 50 downloads at the same time?

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    You want 50 threads at the same time? Why not have 2-4 threads and download them in a queue?
    What will you gain with 50 downloads at the same time?
    I'm just assuming,don't used 50 threads really..

Fanatic Member

can you give a example

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by xxdoc123 View Post
    if i want 50 threads to download 50 files. how can i set files address to each thread? and monitor each file download progress?
    You don't need to create threads for that, use the WinHTTPRequest object or Usercontrols.

But I think you should post further questions about this in a new forum thread.

PowerPoster

I might rename 'SyncMode' (new, not yet implemented) to 'DebugMode'? Sounds more intiutive?

Also about TerminateThread. I can't really check if how I understood MSDN and used it is correct or not. I do not really find examples in google, they all just say do not use etc...

PowerPoster

You could even set DebugMode automatically ( GetModuleHandle("vba6"))

I don't think TerminateThread would be very nice to the COM STA, on your background thread :/
    but we're in uncharted territory

and since you're adding everyone else's suggestions - maybe you can architect in a threadpool,
    where you have some control over the STA's message loop. then you can use messaging to initiate thread tasks, and reliably marshal interfaces both ways.

this would also reduce the overhead in initializing COM on each thread.

I like this component, it's already very usable, even without any changes.
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Apr 25th, 2017 at 03:05 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    You could even set DebugMode automatically ( GetModuleHandle("vba6"))

I don't think TerminateThread would be very nice to the COM STA, on your background thread :/
    but we're in uncharted territory

and since you're adding everyone else's suggestions - maybe you can architect in a threadpool,
    where you have some control over the STA's message loop. then you can use messaging to initiate thread tasks, and reliably marshal interfaces both ways.

this would also reduce the overhead in initializing COM on each thread.

I like this component, it's already very usable, even without any changes.
    I don't want fix DebugMode when in IDE. Because in my testings it does "work" in the IDE, but there is a risk of a crash. The only thing what would make sense is to dissallow DebugMode when not in IDE. But anyhow I'm not a fan of such restriction.

About your message loop idea. That does not make sense actually. The thread sends a request to the client and there you can make whatever you like until that returns. So in the BackgroundProcedure (currently known as AsyncProcedure) you can do your own loop to whatever condition.

PowerPoster

Maybe a terminate event can be raised after the thread is killed. But additionally, passing a value to that event that is set inside the SyncCallback event. Maybe your ThreadCancelBoolean idea can have another property (variant, user defined)? And that value is passed to the terminate event? As a workaround, I was considering a timer event or PostMessage type event (asynchronous). However, a terminate event with optional value would be ideal I think.
    I was able to fire a IThread_Complete when the thread is terminated, trough a Timer in the Ax-DLL that checks for:
    Code:
    WaitForSingleObject(PropThreadHandle, 0) = WAIT_OBJECT_0
    However, there is a small detail to check.
    When that IThread_Complete is fired, should the PropThreadHandle already be closed? (via CloseHandle)
    If yes, then it would be possible to create the "same thread" again in the Complete "event". (like a recurrence)

EDIT: I will allow recurrence, as depending on the result it perhaps is necessary to "re-run" the background procedure.
    Last edited by Krool; Apr 29th, 2017 at 08:45 AM.

PowerPoster

Major updated released to version 1.1.

The version 1.1 needs a new manifest in order to run registration-free. The manifest can be found here.
    The demo project is also a little bit enhanced to reflect some improvements and the increased flexibility.
    All changes are described in the list of revisions. However, I will explain them again in more detail now.

The Thread class is not event driven anymore, instead it is interface driven.
    This means an IThread interface will receive all the thread related "events".
    Thus in the Create method there is an Owner parameter included, which is mandatory.
    In this you specify the receiver object, normally a Form. But it can also be in another class. (as long as IThread is implemented)
    The optional Key parameter in the Create method will help you for sure when you want or need to create more than one thread on the same receiver.

The AsyncProcedure event has been renamed to BackgroundProcedure and SyncCallback got renamed to StatusCallback.
    The new included Complete event will fire after the BackgroundProcedure is returned and the thread handle is finally closed.

Included the new ThreadData class object that will be passed in BackgroundProcedure and Complete event.
    That Data param has a Tag, Canceled and CancellationPending and DebugMode property. (DebugMode described later on)
    The Tag property can be used to store some final data to be processed in the Complete event. The CancellationPending is read-only and returns True when from "outside" a cancel request was sent via the new included Cancel method. This is the preferred method to cancel a thread, instead of terminating it. However, how fast and efficient the cancel request is is totally dependent on the developer and the code in the BackgroundProcedure.
    When CancellationPending is True and you want to exit the BackgroundProcedure then you may also set the Canceled property to True.
    This way in the Complete event you can evaluate if the task was completed or canceled and if necessary re-start directly.

Included an optional Wait parameter in the Terminate method, so the method returns only until the thread is finally terminated. (not recommended, use new cancel request approach)

Also included the DebugMode property. If set to True the background thread runs synchronous to the main thread. This does allow to safely set breakpoints and perform debugging in the IDE.
    The Data object (ThreadData) will also hold a copy of the DebugMode property, so in the BackgroundProcedure you can check for Data.DebugMode and do so some DoEvents in that case to keep the UI responsive while debugging in the IDE.
    Last edited by Krool; Apr 29th, 2017 at 10:07 AM.

PowerPoster

The only "issue" left is when setting the Thread class to Nothing (Set) while the thread is running the Class_Terminate will not be fired as a shadow reference is being held by the background thread.
    So before doing Set = Nothing, do a .Terminate before.
    However that should be only done in an emergency case.

Krool, the description of the changes sounds really nice. Should give coders far more flexibility.

If you consider this, I think the only major enhancement remaining would be to create this in a standard DLL vs. an ActiveX DLL. This is something I've been contemplating but not gotten serious about yet. The idea could allow ocx's, for example, to drop the standard DLL in its install folder and create threads without worrying about DLL registration. I'm still a bit green around the edges when it comes to multi-threading. I don't know if your SxS manifest would apply to a compiled ocx or not? Still much to learn myself.

PowerPoster

I don't know if your SxS manifest would apply to a compiled ocx or not? Still much to learn myself.
    It should be possible to include the manifest for the dll in the ocx.
    And the app who finally use the ocx can implement a manifest for the ocx.
    Did not try.. maybe the final app needs to manifest both ocx and dll. (?) Or maybe only when the dll got exposed in the ocx, if used privately not needed. (?)
    This would require testings to give a sure answer.

PowerPoster

The manifest resource ID must be 2 instead of 1 when including the dll manifest in a ocx. However, testings needed.

maybe the final app needs to manifest both ocx and dll
    From what I've read, any app that tries to use an ocx SxS without registration, needs to include the ocx and its dependencies (i.e., the dll). There may be examples on this site; I'll research when I find time.

The manifest resource ID must be 2 instead of 1 when including the dll manifest in a ocx. However, testings needed.
    Good point and worth highlighting

PowerPoster

anecdotal evidence but this new version (with DebugMode = False)
    seems more stable in the IDE than version 1.

App.ThreadID can be called without issue from the IThread_BackgroundProcedure()

edit: this seems ready for primetime.
    FYI the .NET equivalent is the BackgroundWorker class, which might be closer to VBMThread10, due to using (less efficient) events.

I really don't have anything to critique. (You could flesh out the entire .NET threading system, but this is awesome for 99% of tasks VB is used for)

How's your flexgrid coming?

Last edited by DEXWERX; May 5th, 2017 at 12:42 PM.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    Why would you need this in an ActiveX EXE, considering an ActiveX EXE can use VB6's standard multithreading methods?
    (setting the Threading Model)
    Hi,

Sorry i meant to merge it with a standard exe to avoid the Dll dependencies.

Addicted Member

Hi ~ Krool

I find a program

please help me, thank you.

VB6 Code Sample [Attachment Removed by Moderator for containing an executable]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RobDog888; Jun 3rd, 2017 at 12:23 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by quickbbbb View Post
    I find a program

please help me, thank you.
    Please explain in more detail and provide real source code, no finished .exe (!) file.

Addicted Member

===================
    source code
    [Attachment Removed by Moderator for containing an executable]
    ===================

Private Sub IThread_BackgroundProcedure(ByVal Key As String, ByVal StatusCallback As VBMThread11.IThreadStatusCallback, ByVal Data As VBMThread11.ThreadData)

For w = 1 To 10^9 ' a large loop

Text1 = Val(Text1) + 1 ' TextBox control add 1

If Check_Auto_Pause.Value Then
    If w Mod 1000 = 0 Then
    Call cmd_Start_Pause_Click

' about detail
    '(1) when w mod 1000 =0 , program will call cmd_Start_Pause_Click , and IThread will be pause
    '(2) Then I use mouse click botton cmd_Start_Pause, but IThread can not resume to run

End If
    End If

Next
    End Sub

Private Sub cmd_Start_Pause_Click()

' when click repeat , will pause -> start -> pause -> start ........

On Error Resume Next
    Thread.Suspended = Not Thread.Suspended
    Text3 = "Suspended_Ststus= " & Thread.Suspended
    End Sub
    Last edited by RobDog888; Jun 3rd, 2017 at 12:25 PM.

Addicted Member

detail part 2

check_Auto_Pause is not selected and use mouse click botton start/pause ->
    textbox will appear 1,2,3,4,5.....1000 ->
    use mouse click botton start/pause again -> textbox add 1 will Suspended thread ->
    use mouse click botton start/pause again -> textbox add 1 will resume thread run -> .....

It work very good

detail part 3

check_Auto_Pause is selected and use mouse click botton start/pause ->
    textbox will appear 1,2,3,4,5.....1000 ->
    when textbox.text = 1000 , thread will be suspended auto by program ->
    now use mouse click botton start/pause again ->
    but thread can not resume to run

PowerPoster

It is not recommended to access project objects within BackgroundProcedure, unless there are created in it. Instead put them to StatusCallback. (especially the "Call cmd_Start_Pause_Click")

Addicted Member

ok , thank you.

I forget remove exe file

now there are only text code

Source code

My_Sample.zip

Addicted Member

' crash when call class sub qq

Private Sub IThread_BackgroundProcedure(ByVal Key As String, ByVal StatusCallback As VBMThread11.IThreadStatusCallback, ByVal Data As VBMThread11.ThreadData)

Text1 = Val(Text1) + 1

c0.qq 'call class sub qq

End Sub

===============
    Source Code
    My_Sample_Crash.zip

Addicted Member

very sorry

source code lost some file

reupload

My_Sample_Class_Crash3.zip

PowerPoster

Again: use StatusCallback when you want to access objects created NOT within the BackgroundProcedure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast