I'm wanting to create an interpreter for the language brain****(mask picks it up but the last for letters rhymes with duck) and I'm wanting to make this as efficient as I can. Right now I am on the syntax analysis phase, I skipped the lexical analysis because there really is no need for it considering the language is so small and the syntax will never change. This is what I currently have:
Code:
    Private Function Parse(ByVal source As String) As XDocument
        Dim parentNode As New XElement("brain****")
        Dim commandNode As XElement = Nothing
        Dim index As Integer = 0
        If index < source.Length AndAlso source(index) = "]"c Then
            'If the source code starts with a closed bracket, inform the user of the syntax error
            Throw New SyntaxErrorException("The source code cannot start with a closed bracket.")
        Else
            'Loop while there is still source code to parse
            Do While index < source.Length
                'Parse the current source code
                commandNode = ParseCommand(source, index)
                If commandNode IsNot Nothing Then
                    If commandNode.Name.LocalName = "command" OrElse commandNode.Value.Length > 0 Then
                        'Only add commands or non-empty loops
                        parentNode.Add(commandNode)
                    End If
                Else
                    'If the current lexeme is a ']' then inform the user of the syntax error
                    Throw New SyntaxErrorException("Bracket mismatch. There are more closed brackets then there are open brackets.")
                End If
            Loop
        End If

Return New XDocument(New XDeclaration("1.0", "utf-8", "yes"), parentNode)
    End Function

CONST nonLoopCommands As String = ",.<>-+"

Private Function ParseCommand(ByVal source As String, ByRef index As Integer) As XElement
        Dim terminalCommand As XElement = Nothing
        Dim lexeme As Char = source(index)
        If lexeme = "["c Then
            'If the current lexeme is a '[' then start to parse the <loop> terminal and consume the lexeme
            index += 1
            If index < source.Length Then
                lexeme = source(index)
                terminalCommand = New XElement("loop")
                If lexeme = "]"c Then
                    'If the current lexeme is a ']' then we have a blank <loop> terminal, consume the lexeme
                    index += 1
                Else
                    'If the current lexeme is not a ']' then continue parsing the <loop> terminal
                    Dim terminalCode As XElement = Nothing
                    'Loop while there is still source left to parse and while something was returned
                    Do
                        'Set the current value of the <command> terminal
                        terminalCode = ParseCommand(source, index)
                        'If the returning <command> terminal is not a blank loop then...
                        If terminalCode IsNot Nothing AndAlso terminalCode.Value.Length > 0 Then
                            'Add it to the <loop> terminal
                            terminalCommand.Add(terminalCode)
                        End If
                    Loop While index < source.Length AndAlso terminalCode IsNot Nothing

'If the last parsed terminalCode was succesfully parsed then inform the program of the syntax error
                    If terminalCode IsNot Nothing Then
                        Throw New SyntaxErrorException("Bracket mismatch. There are more open brackets then there are closed brackets.")
                    End If
                End If
            Else
                'Inform the programmer of the syntax error
                Throw New SyntaxErrorException("The source code cannot end with an open bracket.")
            End If
        ElseIf lexeme = "]"c Then
            'If the current lexeme is a ']' then simply consume the lexeme
            index += 1
        ElseIf nonLoopCommands.IndexOf(lexeme) <> -1 Then
            'If the current lexeme is any of the non-loop commands(,.<>-+) then create a new <command> terminal with the lexeme as the value and consume the lexeme
            terminalCommand = New XElement("command", lexeme)
            index += 1
        Else
            'If all else fails then inform the user of the syntax error
            Throw New SyntaxErrorException(String.Format("'{0}' is an invalid command symbol.", lexeme))
        End If

Return terminalCommand
    End Function

Private Function FormatSource(ByVal source As String) As String
        'Define the commands to keep
        Dim commands As String = nonLoopCommands & "[]"
        'Declare something to hold the source code to be returned
        Dim builder As New Text.StringBuilder(source.Length - 1)
        'Loop through each character in the source code
        For index As Integer = 0 To source.Length - 1
            Dim lexeme As Char = source(index)
            'Check if the current character is one of the commands to keep
            If commands.IndexOf(lexeme) <> -1 Then
                'If so then append it to the builder
                builder.Append(lexeme)
            End If
        Next

Return builder.ToString()
    End Function
It is a recursive descent parser that returns an XDocument to represent the abstract syntax tree. Is there anything that y'all notice that I could make this more efficient?

My next phase is optimization where I intend on remove repeating nodes and adding an attribute on the repeating node indicating how many times it repeated. For example:
Code:
>++++++++[<+++++++++>-]
Would build a parse tree with 9 command nodes followed by a loop node with 12 command nodes. Where as the optimization tree would have 2 command nodes followed by a loop node with 4 command nodes, basically transforming it to:
Code:
command(>, 1) command(+, 8) loop(command(<, 1) command(+, 9) command(>, 1) command(-, 1))