Thread: Pocket PC Windows mobile 2002

Question Pocket PC Windows mobile 2002

Hi there,

About two and a half years ago I aquired a WM device, a 02 system.

I wanted to know to know besides the VS studio 2003 which was aimed at the 2003 one, software like the visual C++ embedded I believe it is called was available for a good long while to program for the mobile devices from beginning of the century.

For anyone that may of used one of these PDA's what did you use, and leaving aside the VS stuff since none of it is available or several hundred £,$. That is no good.

I was able to find a file for network related use for Windows mobile, the file type needs to be compilied for any chance to work on a WM device. It is evc3/4 according to a bing search that is for VS 2008.

Thanks.

PowerPoster

Re: Pocket PC Windows mobile 2002

I have did a lot of development on these devices as well as the earlier and later variants of it.
    Originally I was using Embedded VB 3 for this which was a free download from MS, later I went to VB2003 then 2005 and now 2008.
    I am pretty sure 2008 is the latest version that includes the support for these devices. Not sure if the express version does or not and also not sure if eVB is still available online but you may want to search a bit and see what you can find,

If I am not mistaken eVC was a stand alone product as well. both eVC and eVB had support for this device and could be downloaded from MS. I am pretty sure on the eVC stuff and positive on the eVB stuff.

I am not sure but I think C# 2003-2008 also supports these devices.

VB2008 would be my choice now though mostly due to my experience in VB coding.
    Last edited by DataMiser; Jun 27th, 2016 at 07:24 AM.

There is no 2008, nothing is available, unless the cost is $$ or ££. Really Microsoft should of released one of those studios for free once the industry for the PDA's faded.

There is nothing available. As for the Pocket pc, meaning 02. I tried a wifi adapter on a Ipaq 1940 running a 200mHZ processor, it doesn't work.

I know that Linux was once useable on some of those old devices. But that is all gone now.

PowerPoster

I do not know if the express version of VB was able to build for the mobile devices or not. I do know that the full versions from 2003 through 2008 were able to do so. I have written many apps for these devices over the years. I still write quite a few though of course not for Pocket PC. Now they are for Windows Mobile 6.5 or Windows CE 6 or 7.

Embedded Visual Basic 3 was a free download from MS and did support these Pocket PC devices and apps I wrote for those still work on the more recent versions of Windows Mobile. It is probably still around for download from an archive site somewhere but may be difficult to find.

PowerPoster

There was also an add in Called Windows CE Toolkit for Visual Basic that if memory serves allowed you to write in VB5/6 for these devices. I tried it for a while but did not really like it for some reason that I can not remember now. I still have the original CDs around here somewhere for it.

No the express editions never could do that, only the professional.

PowerPoster

I found this online. Haven't tried to download it myself but looks like it may be what you need or at least part of it.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/d...494078E201D%7D

Here is soem good info on using the EVT with those devices
    http://www.codemag.com/article/0207041

Thank you.

I guess, the first step is to create a basic simple program and see if it loads on the WM 2002 device. I had purchased a wifi card for the Ipaq 1910, last month, sadly it doesn't run on it, which ever driver I tried. I used the Europe copy, nothing, I tried the North America, nothing.

Pocket PC 2002, originally codenamed "Merlin", was released in October 2001. Like Pocket PC 2000, it was powered by Windows CE 3.0. Although targeted mainly for 240×320 (QVGA) Pocket PC devices, Pocket PC 2002 was also used for Pocket PC phones, and for the first time, Smartphones

I'm really impressed of DataMiser.. you have good knowledge and research. thanks for such a nice thread