dcsimg

Thread: form caption alignment

Frenzied Member

form caption alignment

On windows xp it is left align by default but on win7 and later, I see that it is centered? How do you set it to what alignment ?

PowerPoster

Re: form caption alignment

I haven't seen this on Win7 or even Win10. It might happen on Win8 or Win8.1 or Win8.1 Fire Two, but (a.) those OSs have all but disappeared now that Win10 has been out almost a year with a free "upgrade" and (b.) even if true there is nothing you can do about it in practical terms.

That's not to say no way exists to take over and "owner draw" the caption area, but who would bother? Even if practical why make your programs' forms look weird compared to everything else?

I've never seen that either, and I use Win7 (work) and Win10 (home) ... looking at my Win7 right now, everything is left aligned ...
    Could it be theme related?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

He could be looking at Office which owner draws their forms. So even though Windows 7 left aligns, all the Office 2007 Centers captions.

Ahhh.... ya know... I never noticed.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Oh maybe theme related, i have not thought about that. I will check that when Im on my pc.

Though it maybe trivial, I am thinking if it will center align, I can force it to left align.

Ps. Im pertaining to vb6 form caption.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    He could be looking at Office which owner draws their forms. So even though Windows 7 left aligns, all the Office 2007 Centers captions.
    LOL, so boned as well as re-boned (ribboned). Nothing like Office to sneer at platform conventions.

Ok... what ARE we talking about? Captions on forms in your VB6 app? Or the title for OFFICE products??? I'm confused.

-tg

PowerPoster

VB6 forms and Win7 as far as I can tell.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by codesearcher View Post
    Oh maybe theme related, i have not thought about that. I will check that when Im on my pc.

Though it maybe trivial, I am thinking if it will center align, I can force it to left align.

Ps. Im pertaining to vb6 form caption.
    There's really only a couple ways you're going to change your caption alignment.
    * Owner draw the entire window chrome as in office or other "themed" apps
    * Tackle the can of worms that is Desktop Window Manager (DWM)

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    LOL, so boned as well as re-boned (ribboned). Nothing like Office to sneer at platform conventions.
    every version of office after 2003 does this... it makes perfect sense if you believe microsoft hates us.

PowerPoster

every version of office after 2003 does this... it makes perfect sense if you believe microsoft hates us.
    I don't blame Microsoft, just Hejlsberg and his toadies and Nadella.

Sinecure devotee

... it makes perfect sense if you believe microsoft hates us.
    I don't think is so much that microsoft hates us.
    Since the government forced Microsoft to segregate the Office development team from the OS development team so that the Office developers would not have an unfair advantage compared to other Office type developers, because they could use undocumented features of the Windows API to provide features the "normal" developer would not, they've kind of grown apart and have a bit of rivalry.

The Office developers have their own opinions about what Windows should do, and how it should be done to be more productive, and so go their own way developing their own "windows" conventions.
    They generally don't like the Windows group anyway, and can't legally be force to conform to the Windows OS vision.