Thread: Received Data from Serial Port and convert into parts and store in Access database

Unhappy Received Data from Serial Port and convert into parts and store in Access database

i am creating application receiving data from serial port in the following format :

2201m2226m23697dcccc6dddd5gggg5

i want to split this data in parts like

2201m
    2226m
    23697d
    cccc6dd
    dddd5g
    gggg5

and save these data in Access database tabel in different field

kindly guide us i am new to VB.Net

Re: Received Data from Serial Port and convert into parts and store in Access databa

hi,

if you know each variable length you need from the string, you will need to break it down with substring.

Code:
    Dim myval as string = "2201m2226m23697dcccc6dddd5gggg5"
    Dim substring1 As String = myval.Substring(0, 5) ' first five
    Dim substring2 As String = myval.Substring(5, 5) ' second five
    Dim substring2 As String = myval.Substring(10, 6) ' third six
    etc

There are plenty of examples of how to write data to a database on this forum.

Dave

Re: Received Data from Serial Port and convert into parts and store in Access databa

Hi Dave
    can you share the link for example

* I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *