Thread: [RESOLVED] Wait! Chrome AND IE are default?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Wait! Chrome AND IE are default?

Does anyone know how this happens? And what I can do to fix it? I want Chrome as the default browser always. Currently if IE is open, clicks will go there - which isn't what I want. I have IE open from time to time because it's how I tunnel into a client (ala Citrix) or if I'm rummaging through our intranet. Somehow both IE and Chrome both think at the same time that they are the default browser. It's a new system, it came to me this way.

Hmmmm I also have Firefox installed... I wonder if I make that the default ... if I then would be able to set Chrome as the definitive default.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: Wait! Chrome AND IE are default?

Dunno off the top of my head. I had a refurb Dell box with windows 10 on it that would not take Chrome as the default even though I set it manually in windows. I don't remember the solution Dell support came up with as it was a while ago.

Let me dig through my email for dell support cases....

BTW what do you mean by "clicks will go there."?

[Edit] Dumb question. Are you running the change as an administator? [/Edit]
    Last edited by Gruff; Apr 27th, 2016 at 09:38 AM.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Re: Wait! Chrome AND IE are default?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
    Dunno off the top of my head. I had a refurb Dell box with windows 10 on it that would not take Chrome as the default even though I set it manually in windows. I don't remember the solution Dell support came up with as it was a while ago.

Let me dig through my email for dell support cases....
    I'm not rolling the deep here... this is not a Dell... it's a LEnovo... it came to me from the help desk this way... I suspect it has more to do with their installation method.

BTW what do you mean by "clicks will go there."?
    Like if I click a hyperlink in an email... if IE happens to be open, the link opens in IE (this is how I noticed it). IF IE isn't open, then it goes to Chrome.

[Edit] Dumb question. Are you running the change as an administator? [/Edit]
    Not a dumb question - honestly I don't know... I am admin on the local machine... other than that, I'm not opening the browsers with "Run as administrator..." if that's what you're asking.

I did find a way to fix it though... Opened FireFox... which correctly identified that it was not the default, and asked if I want it to be the default... YES!...
    then I closed FF.
    Opened Chrome, and it asked if it should be the default - yes, and always ask.
    Opened IE, it asked if it should be the default - no, and don't ask me again.

Problem solved.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: [RESOLVED] Wait! Chrome AND IE are default?

I like the way you think outside the box.

~T

For once, FireFox actually did something right for me!

-tg

Next time - consider going into Control Panel-> and use the Default Program function.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

That actually failed for me in Windows 10 Steve.
    No matter how many times I set Chrome as the default program in that manner it wouldn't stick.

Dell support fixed the issue for me. Just can't remember what the answer was...

~T