dcsimg

Thread: Visual Studio Code for VB6/VBA projects

Lively Member

Visual Studio Code for VB6/VBA projects

Is anybody using Microsoft's Visual Studio Code to work with VB6 or VBA projects? Can we get any benefits if we open a VB6 project in this tool? Say, better code analysis, etc. And if someone does not have the VB6 IDE installed, is Visual Studio Code a better tool compared to Notepad/Notepad++ to open and work with a VB6 project?

Re: Visual Studio Code for VB6/VBA projects

Well... considering it clearly states "Build and debug modern web and cloud applications." I'm going to go out on a limb and say - Probably not.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/l...-are-supported

Even though VB is listed, it's probably assumed to be VB.NET and not VB6 or VBA.

If someone wants to prove me wrong, great! It would be nice if it were the case, but something tells me that it probably won't.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wisekat View Post
    Is anybody using Microsoft's Visual Studio Code to work with VB6 or VBA projects? Can we get any benefits if we open a VB6 project in this tool? Say, better code analysis, etc. And if someone does not have the VB6 IDE installed, is Visual Studio Code a better tool compared to Notepad/Notepad++ to open and work with a VB6 project?
    Anyone who fiddles with VB6 source files outside the IDE risks doing a great deal of damage. Yes, it can be done... with care. There are even a few times when you want to do this, but normally only for a few narrowly specific reasons.

If you want "code analysis" you need 3rd party tools. Some of the best of these are implemented as IDE add-ins. For example:

Project Analyzer

In general you should avoid tampering with VB6 source files at all unless you really know what you are doing. And make no mistake about it, opening them in a text editor is tampering.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Some of the best of these are implemented as IDE add-ins. For example:

Project Analyzer
    As much as I like that site, those are not freewares...

You don't want to know.

I get the feeling there isn't, and hasn't ever been, a way to develop VB6 without Visual Studio itself. MS owns the language and the toolchain, and it's not from an era when they were friendly to open source or letting third-parties run with their toys.

If you want free or open-sourced toolchains, you should consider .NET or some other language that's already opened, it's probably unlikely MS will release an open-sourced VB6.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post
    If you want free or open-sourced toolchains, you should consider .NET or some other language that's already opened, it's probably unlikely MS will release an open-sourced VB6.
    Yes, Microsoft has been trying to choke off VB6 for many years now. Open-sourcing VB6 would counter that effort.