Thread: organizing and removing unwanted numbers from datagridview

organizing and removing unwanted numbers from datagridview

Hello guys,

I have this code here that updates my gridviewdata with a json file every time i click a button.

Code:
      DataGridView2.Rows.Clear()
            Dim uri As Uri = New Uri("https://api.import.io/store/connector/06a2a24f-6678-407e-8ad0-c7cbe24cf33c/_query?input=webpage/url:http%3A%2F%2Ffxowebtools.saxobank.com%2Fretail.html&&_apikey=d4c36ddd8f8d4a629bdf06e47993809233ac34a0ee817f4af327f7e016e1cb0921ba78b0da4d9be881051cbf3cf672f1425214d8e687e33559e24fdd17bc5a606e8ce1eac3d6e064593e3fcc34d23344")
            Dim wc1 As System.Net.WebClient = New System.Net.WebClient()
            Dim VCItem As String = wc1.DownloadString(uri)
            Dim o As JObject = JObject.Parse(VCItem)
            Dim results As List(Of JToken) = o.Children().ToList

Try
                For Each item As JProperty In results
                    item.CreateReader()
                    If item.Value.Type = JTokenType.Array Then
                        For Each subitem As JObject In item.Values

DataGridView2.Rows.Add(subitem("leftlabelcells_value"), (subitem("hideextra_number")), (subitem("rightpositioncells_number")))

Next
                    End If
                Next
            Catch ex As Exception

End Try
    this is the data i get in my gridviewdata
    Name:  data.png
Views: 339
Size:  9.6 KB

there is some unwanted data in my gridview in the second and third coulmn, i need them to be like this :

EURUSD 49 51
    USDJPY 16 84
    GBPUSD 65 35
    AUDUSD 41 59
    USDCAD 45 55
    USDCHF 57 43
    EURJPY 58 42
    EURGBP 17 83
    EURCHF 28 72
    GOLD 33 67
    SILVER 8 92

in other words, i need to take off all the brackets and all the digits after the first comma or the first decimal point.
    any help would be greatly appreciated !

Re: organizing and removing unwanted numbers from datagridview

Try this:
    Code:
    DataGridView2.Rows.Add(subitem("leftlabelcells_value"), Convert.ToInt32(subitem("hideextra_number").Replace(" ", String.Empty).Replace("[", String.Empty).Replace("]", String.Empty).Split(","c)(0)), Convert.ToInt32(subitem("rightpositioncells_number").Replace(" ", String.Empty).Replace("[", String.Empty).Replace("]", String.Empty.Split(","c)(0)))
    Basically for the last two columns I replace all spaces, open brackets, and close brackets with an empty String and then I split the value by a comma and get the first item from the split.

Edit - I also convert the values returned from the process described to an Integer which will round all values down and remove the decimal place.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Try this:
    Code:
    DataGridView2.Rows.Add(subitem("leftlabelcells_value"), Convert.ToInt32(subitem("hideextra_number").Replace(" ", String.Empty).Replace("[", String.Empty).Replace("]", String.Empty).Split(","c)(0)), Convert.ToInt32(subitem("rightpositioncells_number").Replace(" ", String.Empty).Replace("[", String.Empty).Replace("]", String.Empty.Split(","c)(0)))
    Basically for the last two columns I replace all spaces, open brackets, and close brackets with an empty String and then I split the value by a comma and get the first item from the split.

Edit - I also convert the values returned from the process described to an Integer which will round all values down and remove the decimal place.
    thank you for your input dday, but unfortunetly i get a an error ; Too many arguments to 'Public Overloads Sub Replace(value As JToken)'.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hyperbell; Mar 25th, 2016 at 12:54 PM.

Ok, I had thought that the value was a String value. What does the JToken class look like, is there a Text property?

Ok, I had thought that the value was a String value. What does the JToken class look like, is there a Text property?
    hi again, the json file comes from webclient download, am using Newtonsoft.Json.Linq import

http://www.newtonsoft.com/json/help/...inq_JToken.htm

Code:
    Dim uri As Uri = New Uri("https://api.import.io/store/connector/06a2a24f-6678-407e-8ad0-c7cbe24cf33c/_query?input=webpage/url:http%3A%2F%2Ffxowebtools.saxobank.com%2Fretail.html&&_apikey=d4c36ddd8f8d4a629bdf06e47993809233ac34a0ee817f4af327f7e016e1cb0921ba78b0da4d9be881051cbf3cf672f1425214d8e687e33559e24fdd17bc5a606e8ce1eac3d6e064593e3fcc34d23344")
            Dim wc1 As System.Net.WebClient = New System.Net.WebClient()
            Dim VCItem As String = wc1.DownloadString(uri)

{"offset":0,"results":[{"hideextra_number":[49.0,0.0],"hideextra_number/_source":["49","0"],"rightpositioncells_number":[51.0,0.0],"leftlabelcells_value":"EURUSD","rightpositioncells_number/_source":["51","0"]},{"hideextra_number":[16.0,0.0],"hideextra_number/_source":["16","0"],"rightpositioncells_number":[84.0,0.0],"leftlabelcells_value":"USDJPY","rightpositioncells_number/_source":["84","0"]},{"hideextra_number":[65.0,0.0],"hideextra_number/_source":["65","0"],"rightpositioncells_number":[35.0,0.0],"leftlabelcells_value":"GBPUSD","rightpositioncells_number/_source":["35","0"]},{"hideextra_number":[41.0,0.0],"hideextra_number/_source":["41","0"],"rightpositioncells_number":[59.0,0.0],"leftlabelcells_value":"AUDUSD","rightpositioncells_number/_source":["59","0"]},{"hideextra_number":45.0,"hideextra_number/_source":"45","rightpositioncells_number":[55.0,-1.0],"leftlabelcells_value":"USDCAD","rightpositioncells_number/_source":["55","-1"]},{"hideextra_number":[57.0,0.0],"hideextra_number/_source":["57","0"],"rightpositioncells_number":[43.0,0.0],"leftlabelcells_value":"USDCHF","rightpositioncells_number/_source":["43","0"]},{"hideextra_number":[58.0,0.0],"hideextra_number/_source":["58","0"],"rightpositioncells_number":[42.0,0.0],"leftlabelcells_value":"EURJPY","rightpositioncells_number/_source":["42","0"]},{"hideextra_number":[17.0,-1.0],"hideextra_number/_source":["17","-1"],"rightpositioncells_number":[83.0,1.0],"leftlabelcells_value":"EURGBP","rightpositioncells_number/_source":["83","1"]},{"hideextra_number":[28.0,0.0],"hideextra_number/_source":["28","0"],"rightpositioncells_number":[72.0,0.0],"leftlabelcells_value":"EURCHF","rightpositioncells_number/_source":["72","0"]},{"hideextra_number":[33.0,-5.0],"hideextra_number/_source":["33","-5"],"rightpositioncells_number":[67.0,5.0],"leftlabelcells_value":"GOLD","rightpositioncells_number/_source":["67","5"]},{"hideextra_number":8.0,"hideextra_number/_source":"8","rightpositioncells_number":[92.0,-1.0],"leftlabelcells_value":"SILVER","rightpositioncells_number/_source":["92","-1"]}],"cookies":[],"connectorVersionGuid":"c726af10-8618-34b7-70c2-ddbec38d34cf","connectorGuid":"06a2a24f-6678-407e-8ad0-c7cbe24cf33c","pageUrl":"http://fxowebtools.saxobank.com/retail.html","outputProperties":[{"name":"leftlabelcells_value","type":"STRING"},{"name":"hideextra_number","type":"DOUBLE"},{"name": "rightpositioncells_number","type":"DOUBLE"}]}
    Last edited by hyperbell; Mar 25th, 2016 at 02:32 PM.

I doubt it... it looks based on its use that JToken is an enumerated type... it's checking if the type of the value of the item is an array or not...
    I think we'd need to know a bit more about what each item is (beyond being a JProperty) and what it's .Value is like...

-tg
    Last edited by techgnome; Mar 25th, 2016 at 02:36 PM.
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

[49.0,0.0] -- means the value is an array... two elements in this case...

so subitem("rightpositioncells_number") gives you the whole array... you only want the first one:
    subitem("rightpositioncells_number")(0)

should give you the first element of the array.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Do the same thing that I'm doing on add .Value(GetType(String)):
    Code:
    DataGridView2.Rows.Add(subitem("leftlabelcells_value"), _
        Convert.ToInt32(subitem("hideextra_number").Value(GetType(String)).Replace(" ", String.Empty).Replace("[", String.Empty).Replace("]", String.Empty).Split(","c)(0)), _
        Convert.ToInt32(subitem("rightpositioncells_number").Value(GetType(String)).Replace(" ", String.Empty).Replace("[", String.Empty).Replace("]", String.Empty.Split(","c)(0)))

Do the same thing that I'm doing on add .Value(GetType(String)):
    Code:
    DataGridView2.Rows.Add(subitem("leftlabelcells_value"), _
        Convert.ToInt32(subitem("hideextra_number").Value(GetType(String)).Replace(" ", String.Empty).Replace("[", String.Empty).Replace("]", String.Empty).Split(","c)(0)), _
        Convert.ToInt32(subitem("rightpositioncells_number").Value(GetType(String)).Replace(" ", String.Empty).Replace("[", String.Empty).Replace("]", String.Empty.Split(","c)(0)))

i get another error :

Error BC32050 Type parameter 'T' for 'Public Overridable Overloads Function Value(Of T)(key As Object) As T' cannot be inferred.

Name:  error.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  9.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    [49.0,0.0] -- means the value is an array... two elements in this case...

so subitem("rightpositioncells_number") gives you the whole array... you only want the first one:
    subitem("rightpositioncells_number")(0)

should give you the first element of the array.

-tg
    your code works with only values that has 0 on the second or the first element such as ;

[49.0,0.0]
    [51.0,0.0]
    [72.0,0.0]

but if there is a value on the second element, nothing shows up in the grid :

[83.0,1.0]
    [92.0,-1.0]
    [33.0,-5.0]

Quote Originally Posted by hyperbell View Post
    i get another error :

Error BC32050 Type parameter 'T' for 'Public Overridable Overloads Function Value(Of T)(key As Object) As T' cannot be inferred.

Name:  error.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  9.8 KB
    Try changing GetType(String) to Of String.

Try changing GetType(String) to Of String.
    thank you for trying, i am stuck with this code for the past 2 days.

the new change does not show anymore errors but in runtime when its fetching data, it stops and get a new error :

An unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidCastException' occurred in Newtonsoft.Json.dll
    Additional information: Cannot cast Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JArray to Newtonsoft.Json.Linq.JToken.