Thread: Checking a mysql db connection the right way.

Addicted Member

Checking a mysql db connection the right way.

Checking for a mysql db connection can be tricky! (and I think this is also true for other types of db servers.) The first thing that comes in mind when trying to write a piece of code to check a mysql db connection is to check the status of the mysql server and falsely assume that the Network Availability on the client PC is always OK and the server PC can always be reached. This is not true most of the time and amusing that can impact the overall performance of the check routine very badly.

Here is how it should be:

The first step is to check Network Availability on the client PC. If it's OK then the second step is to check if the server PC can be reached. If that is true, then check the mysql db connection. I tested this and found that it's much much faster than checking the db connection only. The reason is that in most cases the reason why the db connection cannot be established is because of the absence of the Network Availability on the client PC or because the server PC cannot be reached while mysql server is working fine on the server PC. Since checking Network Availability on the client PC and pining the server PC are much faster than doing some mysql db connection checking operations the overall performance will be much much better this way.

Here's a sample code:

Code:
    If My.Computer.Network.IsAvailable Then
           If My.Computer.Network.Ping("DB_HOST_NAME") Then
              Try
                 ' Check your mysql db connection here
              Catch ex As MySqlException
                 ' MessageBox.Show("Can't connect! (DB connection can't be established)")
              End Try
           Else
                 ' MessageBox.Show("Can't connect! (DB host can't be reached)")
           End If
        Else
                 ' MessageBox.Show("Can't connect! Network Unavailable")
    End If
    Finally, it's needless to say that this way has no affect when both network availability and server presence are guaranteed to be OK all the time.

Hope that helps someone.

EDIT: Sorry admins, I wrote this on the wrong forum, please move it to the right one, thanks

Re: Checking a mysql db connection the right way.

If you want your thread moved then use the Report Post icon under your post to send a message to the mods. I have now done that and asked them to move it to the CodeBank.

cPubis - Let me ask you to think about this scenario.

Time
    1. You send ping to server DB_HOST_NAME
    2. DB_HOST_NAME sends reply
    3. one nanosecond after sending reply DB_HOST_NAME crashes
    4. your method reports all is well, but it isn't

This is common, trying to predict the future. Do you try to determine if a disk is working on your PC before you use it? I think you attempt to use it knowing that the system will let you know if there is a problem.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    If you want your thread moved then use the Report Post icon under your post to send a message to the mods. I have now done that and asked them to move it to the CodeBank.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    cPubis - Let me ask you to think about this scenario.

Time
    • 1. You send ping to server DB_HOST_NAME
      3. one nanosecond after sending reply DB_HOST_NAME crashes
      4. your method reports all is well, but it isn't
    No, In this case the method will not report all is well! As demonstrated in the code above, if the db host crashes one nanosecond after receiving the ping reply, the third condition will be triggered and the message "Can't connect! (DB connection can't be established)" will be shown. That's the whole point; to check that the db host itself is fine before doing any db operations for the sake of performance (eliminating unnecessary steps). You'd have been right if you said: "one nanosecond after checking the db connection and found it OK the db host crashes." In this case, a later error handling routine will handle this, like when you try to save a record you put the saving code in a Try-End Try block.

Quote Originally Posted by cPubis View Post
    No, In this case the method will not report all is well! As demonstrated in the code above, if the db host crashes one nanosecond after receiving the ping reply, the third condition will be triggered and the message "Can't connect! (DB connection can't be established)" will be shown. That's the whole point; to check that the db host itself is fine before doing any db operations for the sake of performance (eliminating unnecessary steps). You'd have been right if you said: "one nanosecond after checking the db connection and found it OK the db host crashes." In this case, a later error handling routine will handle this, like when you try to save a record you put the saving code in a Try-End Try block.
    If the scenario is

Time
    1. You send ping to server DB_HOST_NAME
    3. You send connect to server DB_HOST_NAME
    4. one nanosecond after checking the DB_HOST_NAME connection and found it OK the DB_HOST_NAME crashes
    5. your method reports all is well, but it isn't

That is a lot of work, and it still doesn't accomplish anything. As you pointed out, you still have to put all of the code that interacts with DB_HOST_NAME in Try-Catch blocks.

Let me ask this again; do you try to determine if a disk is working on your PC before you use it? I think you attempt to use it knowing that the system will let you know if there is a problem. Don't you put code that manipulates files in Try-Catch blocks.

It is clear you were trying to be helpful, but in the end you have added overhead that isn't needed.

Before replying to this open a Command Prompt window.
    Ping www.vbforums.com
    When you get a successful reply to that, then reply to this post.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Addicted Member

That is a lot of work, and it still doesn't accomplish anything.
    No it's not a lot of work, and it does accomplish a very essential thing; Performance. (That's besides the details it gives why exactly the connection cannot be established). I think I explained what it does enough and the code is attached you can test it yourself. As I said earlier, I tested it and found that checking the db connection alone takes about 2000ms to check the connection status, but when applying my method, it does that almost instantly (90ms) in most cases (where the network availability is absence and the host cannot be reached). But when the client network is OK and the db host can be reached, it takes about the same time. So the overall performance is much much better.

Bottom line: in an imaginary world, where a client network is guaranteed to be available all the time, and the db host can be reached all the time, it's true my code would be taking unnecessary steps and wouldn't accomplish anything. But in the real world? Simply No.

As you pointed out, you still have to put all of the code that interacts with DB_HOST_NAME in Try-Catch blocks.
    That's a different whole story, it's about manipulating the data in later steps. My post is about one single step as the title states very clearly; Check Connection Status.

Bottom line: in an imaginary world, where a client network is guaranteed to be available all the time, and the db host can be reached all the time, it's true my code would be taking unnecessary steps and wouldn't accomplish anything. But in the real world? Simply No.
    If you're in a world where you have to worry about server uptime to the point where this code is necessary... perhaps it's time for a new network or host ... because that's an indication of a serious problem.

If the connection is going to fail, it's going to fail... no amount of pre-checking will really fix or help that. You still have to code for a failing connection no matter what. Even if the server is online, doesn't mean the database service is... this is one case where pinging just isn't going to help... the server is online and functioning just fine. But if the database service (and yeah, I've had this happen to me), the connection is still going to fail. There's no pre-checking that's going to fix that.

Something to keep in mind... there's a reason why the ping check appears faster than simply waiting for a failed connection ... in the connection object, there's a connection timeout... it's the amount of time that the client will wait before reporting the connection as a failure ... it's possible that it's this delay that you're seeing in your differences. You're comparing apples to applesauce. That said, there's a reason for that delay ... some instances of SQL Server run on-demand... meaning the service listener is up and waiting for a connection... when the first one is received, THEN it spins up SQL Server and the connection passes through. Granted mySQL may be different... but it's still something to consider.

Honestly, at the end of the day... all that matters is that the database is reachable or not. How you get there doesn't matter too much I suppose... if it works for you... great... for me, it wouldn't.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Let us try logic.

If DB_HOST_NAME is up and running then you don't need your code.
    If DB_HOST_NAME is down then the first time you try to use it, in any manner, your method will fail.

If DB_HOST_NAME is up and running your code adds a ping that isn't needed, extra work.

If you are a one person shop that extra ping doesn't add much load, but if you have thousands of people using it, then you have thousands of extra packets (one for the ping request, one for the reply). It is also extra work for the server, answering the ping.

If you are in a situation that what you proposed sounds like a good idea I suggest you fix your server and / or the network it is attached to. In this day and age servers are extremely reliable, and even the internet is an extremely reliable network.

All of the networks / servers that I am, or have been responsible for have external ICMP requests blocked.

Did you try pinging VBForums before replying?

My point in participating in this was that others might get it. You obviously don't.

Addicted Member

It's interesting that both of you have pointed out the same thing; my server/network should be fixed/changed! But you didn't ask yourselves why this is not an option for millions of people like me. Now users may try my code in the real world, the world which none of you seems to want to imagine it exists; Third Countries World, where having a reliable server/network is a welfare!

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by cPubis View Post
    It's interesting that both of you have pointed out the same thing; my server/network should be fixed/changed! But you didn't ask yourselves why this is not an option for millions of people like me. Now users may try my code in the real world, the world which none of you seems to want to imagine it exists; Third Countries World, where having a reliable server/network is a welfare!

Thank you
    So if you ARE having network / server problems then the answer is to increase the load on both with pings that serve no purpose. Makes sense to me

Just for the record, I was doing this sort of thing before Cisco was a small startup, and Dell was on the map. I was also doing this when the internet had five nodes, so don't use unreliable for an excuse.

If this code makes you or others feel better, then great.

Addicted Member

So if you ARE having network / server problems then the answer is to increase the load on both with pings that serve no purpose. Makes sense to me
    I was expecting you to say:

So if you, billions of third world people ARE having unreliable network / server and changing/fixing them is not an easy option for you then the answer is to decrease the load on both with pings (which take less than 80ms) instead of trying to connect to mysql service for more than 2000ms and then realize that the server itself is down. Makes sense to me

If this code makes you or others feel better, then great.
    This code serves me and probably billions other in my world, It was the available solution for our situation. I have tested it many times and implemented it and found it very practical, and my 25 users also found it so. If ignoring this simple fact makes you feel better then great
    Last edited by cPubis; Mar 26th, 2016 at 12:40 AM.