dcsimg

Thread: Analyzing raw sound data and using AI to make predictions

Analyzing raw sound data and using AI to make predictions

I wanted to build a simulation, and effectively teach a computer to enjoy music, and tell me when it liked a song.

Humans find pleasure in symmetry and predictable (but not verbatim) patterns in music. When we "partially" predicted the melody of a song we heard for the first time, it's more enjoyable when we hear it.

Why is symmetry and predictability pleasurable? Because they're easy to process.

What if a machine could make educated guesses on the next X bits of sound data based on the previous X bits, and then reward itself with "enjoyment" that would scale using an algorithm that took into account:

1. How close it's estimate was to the actual sample
    2. The CPU/memory/system resource usage needed to estimate

Obviously like a human, the lower resources needed to "perceive", the better it was.

I noticed that .WAV files tend to display a graphical soundwave (think the visual representation of the audio you see in recording programs like Audacity on the timeline). Would it make more sense to do the analysis I mentioned visually (i.e. generate a simulated "guess" .WAV graphically, and compare it graphically with the actual visible sound bit)? Or would comparing the raw data make more sense?

How possible/impossible is this?

Is VB.NET the wrong language for this?

Frenzied Member

Re: Analyzing raw sound data and using AI to make predictions

Or would comparing the raw data make more sense?
    the graphic you see is only the Amplitude, you cant "see" the frequency in this Picture, so you'd Need to work on the raw data.

How possible/impossible is this?
    definitely a very complex and ambitious task

Is VB.NET the wrong language for this?
    no, it's as good as the others i'd say.

from how you describe the Problem and your questions, i'd think you have a very incomplete Picture of the Topic and underestimate the complexity of your intend. i'd suggest you read up on what pcm wave data is, how it produces Sound, what an FFT is and how the same data is expressed in the frequency Domain, then consider how many Bytes of data you Need to represent one second of Music in time and frequency Domain and then you might see that it is not a Task of comparing some Bytes here and there but doing complex Analysis on quite big amounts of data. that will help you to correctly assess your plans.

Quote Originally Posted by logiconly View Post
    ....Humans find pleasure in symmetry and predictable (but not verbatim) patterns in music. When we "partially" predicted the melody of a song we heard for the first time, it's more enjoyable when we hear it.

Why is symmetry and predictability pleasurable? Because they're easy to process.....
    Do we like out of tune?
    So how is a melody build up?

.....Obviously like a human, the lower resources needed to "perceive", the better it was.....
    Is it???

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by namrekka View Post
    Do we like out of tune?
    So how is a melody build up?

Is it???
    yeah, these are additional problems, i forgot

and why do some people like songs that others hate? do you find alien scales like chinese ones appealing?