Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3?!!! They done F'ed it up!!!

Computer Science BS Jacob Roman's Avatar

Ghostbusters 3?!!! They done F'ed it up!!!

Ghostbusters went from being a serious movie with some comedy that had practical effects where the ghosts were somewhat scary... to becoming full blown comedy with too many stupid one liners, horrible neon lit CGI ghosts that aren't scary, and a cast with all women with most coming from SNL. Not to mention they have produced the worse trailer I've ever seen. Now I have nothing against the cast being all women, it just was the terrible choice of casting. The black chick was the worse of them all. It should have been anyone else, NOT her. On top of that, the humor seemed forced rather than coming naturally. The whole trailer seemed like it was edited to be an action movie that seemed funny but came out not funny. Sony is destroying this franchise by making this a cash in rather than making a legitimate sequel. And they planed to produce a male version sequel as well as a crossover? It's no wonder Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd wanted nothing to do with this pathetic attempt. And its a shame Harold Ramis passed away because he was one of the original writers I believe. And now the Ghostbusters 3 2016 trailer is getting more than double the dislikes than likes. See for yourself. They done F'ed it up!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Ghostbusters 3?!!! They done F'ed it up!!!

To be honest I've paid almost no attention to it. The first one's a classic because of the interaction between three fantastic comedy actors and one token black guy (and lets face it, Winston is probably the most token token black guy roles ever to rear it's ugly head). Any attempt to remake it without those three is pointless.

I think I'd take issue with your description of the first GB as a serious movie with occasional comedy, though. It was a comedy through and through and it sounds to me like the difference between the old and new isn't that the old one was an action flick, it's that the old one was a good comedy... and this one isn't.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

What FunkyDexter said.

SNL was a hit or miss show. Mostly bad, but some good. Way back when, if you were good it seems you made it off the show. Today, it seems if you are on SNL you are considered automatically funny...5 second skits can be funny, but don't make a career out of it.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

You don't want to know.

The prescription on nostalgia glasses is really strong.

Not an SNL-sourced cast! Not forced pop-culture jokes! Nothing could be further from the roots of Ghostbusters. It was a movie with an Oscar director, an all-Oscar cast, and written by a novelist known for producing six bestsellers per year.

What the hell are they thinking, making movies in 2016 that aren't specifically designed to appeal to a vision of 1984 that half the target demographic didn't even live through?
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

How can this be considered "ruining a franchise"? When you wait a couple decades before releasing a sequel to a couple goofy comedies...you don't have a franchise to begin with, let alone one you can ruin.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    How can this be considered "ruining a franchise"? When you wait a couple decades before releasing a sequel to a couple goofy comedies...you don't have a franchise to begin with, let alone one you can ruin.
    You know its ruined when your favorite childhood franchise in something simple as a small trailer makes you want to cringe because of how bad it is. Imagine 2 hours of that crap.

PowerPoster

From what I've seen my expectations are low. But we're also in an age where the H2 channel was just replaced by some total garbage that I assume panders to the same demographic.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

You know its ruined when your favorite childhood franchise in something simple as a small trailer makes you want to cringe because of how bad it is. Imagine 2 hours of that crap.
    Just don't watch it then !

There are lots of horrendously bad Films and TV shows out there which i ignore as if they don't even exist, its a great policy!!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

an age where the H2 channel was just replaced
    Is H2 the same over there as it is over here, ie "History 2"? In which case can I send a really loud message to the producers that Ancient Aliens is not history. Neither are people bidding on lockers or "picking".
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Is H2 the same over there as it is over here, ie "History 2"? In which case can I send a really loud message to the producers that Ancient Aliens is not history. Neither are people bidding on lockers or "picking".
    But doesn't just the word 'Ancient' in the title tell you they mean old which means History, See its super logical.

As for the others they should be history!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

You don't want to know.

Oh man. History Channel, TLC, Discovery Channel... everything's been replaced with mostly garbage. I miss nature and science shows. I can't even get those from the Science channel anymore, as they've sort of decided to start producing fictional "documentaries" about mermaids.

Heck, even Mythbusters decided to spend their finale not exploring a really complicated myth, but "blowing things up for the heck of it."
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

PowerPoster

Actually we're left with just the History Channel... and the shows they are keeping are those pseudo-reality shows and maybe the monsters and aliens stuff.

The "history" got pretty thin anyway, and most of the time what was presented was pretty... slanted. But with just one channel and the emphasis on shallowtainment programming there'll probably be far less history than even before. So they'll probably end up renaming the channel before long.

I've been pleasantly surprised to find out how much decent stuff you can find on YouTube of all places. A streaming box (Roku, etc.) can make YouTube into a "television channel" worth watching. Yes there are ads, but you also have far more control over what you watch than via cable, satellite, or OTA telecasting.

even Mythbusters decided to spend their finale not exploring a really complicated myth, but "blowing things up for the heck of it."
    To be fair that was always the main point of watching Mythbusters. That and drooling over Carrie Byron

I'd forgotten the mermaids. Why did you have to remind me?!

And you guys went from Ghostbusters to talking about Mythbusters

You don't want to know.

https://youtu.be/w0pnTm-KK9k

You built a laser grid? With no safety switch?
    And Walter Peck was right, that's some shady STUFF!
    You are poor scientists.
    (And that's confirmed.)
    Good thing you work in a firehouse!
    (Because you just got BURNED.)

WOW WOW, Cool, and when the film will be released??????

Quote Originally Posted by faustjonson View Post
    Another Bot o.O

Maybe he didn't watch the trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by faustjonson View Post
    Since you're so psyched to see it, here's a little something to keep you going!

Name:  g-power.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  54.1 KB

Anyone have a copy of the guy powered version from the 80's?

We need MWAN power.

MUH MUH MUH MWAN!!!

PowerPoster

I suppose we can hope it turns out to be a poor trailer.

Maybe the actual movie will be watchable once released to television as cheap filler on broadcast television. But so far it looks so poor I'm not sure who will pay money to watch it in a theater.

Even the second trailer sucks. And this black chic from SNL needs to stop with the sexist/racist jokes. Not even Ernie Hudson did that at all.

.....However, this trailer is watchable and would definitely make me watch the movie:

Right, so if they cut out all the dialog and most everything else...it looks good. Sounds like they needed a better scriptwriter.

The first trailer stated "Four scientists saved New York", when only one from the group was a scientist back then, Egon Spengler, but they changed it to "Four friends saved the world" in the second trailer.

I bet they figured that minor correction would garner more likes to counterbalance the dislikes.

Hmm... An original script sounds like a good idea now, hey Sony.

Name:  trailer1.png
Views: 269
Size:  58.2 KB

Name:  trailer2.png
Views: 260
Size:  55.8 KB
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Mar 17th, 2016 at 05:45 AM.

You don't want to know.

Lots of fragile masculinity in this thread.

I dont think masculinity had anything to do with Sony ruining our childhoods.

You don't want to know.

It says interesting things about your age/level of maturity that your childhood's happiness is predicated on a movie that hasn't released yet.

How many more years do you plan to spend in childhood? Mine's long-gone, and nothing that happens today will change whether I enjoyed it or not. What can change is if I look back on it with fondness. That fluctuates.

This movie affects how some portion of my adulthood is experienced. And, frankly, I'm used to seeing the things I love be trashed by people who get really upset about words like "diversity". I'm getting tired of people deciding for me whether something's good or not based on weird casting criteria, or stranger ideas like "the only human who can fill this type of role has to be of this race or gender", or even stranger ones like, "The cast of Ghostbusters, a series created and almost entirely cast by SNL cast members, cannot be remade using SNL cast members or its sanctity has been violated."
    Last edited by Sitten Spynne; Mar 21st, 2016 at 03:11 PM.

I'd spend plenty more, if it's an option. If I was going to make fun of JR, I'd be making fun of him for the fact that Ghostbusters WAS in his youth (DDay wouldn't get it, because Ghostbusters was considered a classic film by the time he was born).

I don't hold the originals in anywhere near the same regard that JR seems to. They were comedies and kind of silly. I like that kind of silliness, so I just watched the movies a few months back on Netflix, but I wouldn't say they were great or dramatic. Still, that first trailer didn't seem to suggest much. The reason sequels tend to run out is that nobody has anything left to explore in the subject. You have to keep finding new plots with new humor in them. That trailer seemed to be straining to find a new angle.

Lots of fragile masculinity in this thread.
    Masculinity doesn't have anything to do with it, at least for me, and I couldn't care less that the new cast is female. In fact, that's probably about the only interesting thing this new version seems to offer. If I have a problem with this version it won't be because it's got girls in it, it will be because it just doesn't look very funny from the trailers.

What I do care about, at least a bit, is that the original was a classic of my youth and does hold a bit of a special place in my heart as a result. I actually remember it as pretty iconic at the time (although it probably doesn't feel that way if you rewatch it now). I don't mean to overstate that, I won't be losing sleep or waking up crying "No Spengler, Noooo" but I think people do get attached to the totems of their youth and seeing them "spoiled" does grate. Speaking as a Springsteen fan I'd like to track down the guy that re-engineered "Streets of Philadelphia" into "I'm Raving, I'm Raving" and beat him to death with his own sequencer.

Speaking as a Springsteen fan I'd like to track down the guy that re-engineered "Streets of Philadelphia" into "I'm Raving, I'm Raving" and beat him to death with his own sequencer.
    On a similar note all those advertisers that take crap old song and get some woman to sing them slowed down and in a slightly ethereal voice does NOT suddenly make it good !!! (not sure if you get that in the US but UK adverts are full of them)

Oh God, those are starting to wind me up.

I don't think we get them, and I'm pretty much ok with that.

Take some stereo-typical AOR rock song. Get a second rate Enya impersonator to sing it. You get the idea.

There seems to be a trend for it over here at the moment.

PowerPoster

We get it too, but I suspect a lot of people don't recognize what they're hearing and simply have no idea.

It can be almost as irritating when they license the original and use it to shill something nasty though, like a VW Toerag, Apple ChildLaborPhone, etc.

Frenzied Member

These movie ideas are coming from the same mindset that pitched "The Last Samurai" starring Tom Cruise

The ghost busters was pretty much ruined for me when they came out with the cartoon version.

If you want to see somthing really messed up. Here is a fan based Ghost busters movie.
    Last edited by Gruff; Mar 22nd, 2016 at 03:41 PM.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    ... I won't be losing sleep or waking up crying "No Spengler, Noooo"
    Don't Cry

Oh God, those are starting to wind me up.
    Here comes the feeling

There seems to be a trend for it over here at the moment.
    Only time will tell

You're not making friends you know

PowerPoster

You're not making friends you know
    It was something thrown together in the Heat of The Moment, but who needs friends when I'm planning on being the Sole Survivor.

PowerPoster

Ghostbusters: SJW Supercharged! Now with More Minority Quotas!

COMING SOON: Don't miss our exciting historical documentary GETTYSBURG. Starring Idris Elba as Abraham Lincoln, and Oprah Winfrey in the performance of a lifetime as General Robert E. Lee, and Caitlyn Jenner in her breakout role as Major General George Meade.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast