Thread: I've picked out my next car

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I've picked out my next car

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: I've picked out my next car

It got a speed limiter on it though! you wont be able to go fast enough!!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Yeah, I thought that was funny. It's limited to 265 miles an hour. What?!

How long do we reckon it'll be before Ident rents one for the weekend and posts pictures up here?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I'm saving up for the self-driving version. Then I won't need to go anywhere.

I would guess that he'd only rent that one for a few hours. That price is crazy.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Nice car.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

I will donate 10 Euro if you take me for a ride.

PowerPoster

Ahh this thread reminded me that even though I went car shopping in December I still didn't find anything compelling in my price range.

Maybe that's why I chose to put a little more money into my almost-14-year-old car and hang onto it another year. Still good to go for 1200 mile trips and when I took one during the holidays I still got over 46 MPG even when I... pushed it a little, so I can't complain. No speeding tickets at least so that's a plus.

I'm currently working off 6 points. Bristol likes speed cameras and I haven't worked out where they all are yet

My V6 Mustang is limited to 115 mph, but I also paid $2,577,000 less for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I'm currently working off 6 points. Bristol likes speed cameras and I haven't worked out where they all are yet
    Isn't there an app for that?

In an attempt to eliminate speed cameras the Ohio legislature passed a new law last year requiring a uniformed officer at every camera. So the notorious tiny speed trap village of Linndale (pop. 125-201 depending on who's counting and why) installed a small climate-controlled shanty and concrete driveway next to their only camera (W.117th & Peelor or 41°26'42.11"N, 81°45'55.51"W) to keep the gravy train rolling. It's 35 mph everywhere on W.117th/Memphis Ave. except for the less than 0.2 mile section through Linndale. Everyone in town knows it's there, so they rely on outsiders who miss seeing the partially-obscured 25 mph sign or ignore it.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

After dropping off my date last Friday I ran out of gas 30 miles from no where at 1am. Called a tow company out of Portland to bring me some gas. Two hour wait and $120.00 later I was back on the road. That hasn't happened to me for forty some odd years. All I can say is She was pretty spectacular.

Don't know how fast I was going...
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Here's a speed camera app... £20. I believe there's an iPhone version as well.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/drive/m...speed-cameras/
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
    After dropping off my date last Friday I ran out of gas 30 miles from no where at 1am.
    At your age you should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
    All I can say is She was pretty spectacular.
    She better be.

Perfume and a great laugh can befuddle even the most serious jedi.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I believe that it has been successfully argued in the US that speed cameras are considered hearsay, and thus inadmissible in court. Even so, since even with radar or laser - and a cop operating the equipment - that prosecuting officer is obligated to provide evidence that the device used to detect speed is calibrated and recording true speed. Thus, with a camera, who is the prosecutor, and who observed the prosecuted, and what evidence is there that the prosecuted is doing exactly what they are being charged with?

Simply put the British traffic laws are effed up.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Technically our laws are the same except...

If you pay the fine within 28 days you get a much cheaper fine. An appeal for evidence (ie calibration on the camera) will take more than 28 days. So you are incentivised not to dispute the fine.

I can't deny that they got me bang to rights every time though. If I did fight it I'd almost certainly lose.

Every time I've gotten a speeding ticket... I've desrved it. Last one was doing 50 in a 35 zone... OK, now this one is stupid... at the top of the hill it's 45 and an industrial area.... the road then goes down the slope... pretty steep one too... and at the bottom, just as it starts to level out, is where the 35 zone begins... right next to a residential apartment complex. It's widely know people do 45, right to the top of the drop, take their foot off the gas, and let science take over... and the cops count on that... grrrrrr...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I got ticketed twice in my life, both where a day apart from each other.

I got caught in Cameron parish going 78 in a 55 and caught in between Sulphur and DeQuincy on Highway 27 going 82 in a 55. I was 16 years old and my dad was pissed! Luckily though I had an uncle who was the tax assessor for Calcasieu parish and since I was a juvenile the ticket in Cameron was passed onto Calcasieu, so I got both ticket's fixed. All I had to do was show up in court, the DA walked over to the judge with a note, the judge was clearly upset, and then I was sentenced to 8 hours of driver safety school.

My uncle was also arrested for misappropriation of funds the following year. Oh sweet Louisiana politics!
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram